Mad_Max

Tremor Fanatic
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
Current Ride #2
2010 Harley Davidson CVO Softail Convertible
I was about to place my order last night for a Platinum Tremor 7.3 Crew and 2 things that came up that made me hold off for another day. The first thing was that my dealer. said that due to the weight of the truck in NY it would have to be registered as a commercial vehicle. That is unless I wanted to add the bed cap on it which I do not want to do. I live on Long Island which is dominated by non commercial parkways so this would be a real hassle not to be able to drive on most of the major highways on the Island. If I had to bite the bullet and register it commercially I am considering changing my order to a F350 since there is no physical difference in the Tremor trim. I really don't want to do that so any suggestions from my fellow NY'ers on how they got passenger class plates would be welcome.

The second thing was on the Order Summary page the 10000 # GVWR Package was listed. When I asked that it be removed it also removed the Tremor package. That seems odd and counter to what is listed on the build your own page on the website. I've read the threads discussing that this is a de-rating option but it ordering system will not let the dealer take it off. Is this normal and should I care about this?

Thanks for the help!

I live on Long Island also and was told the same, need commercial plates which BS if you ask me. I see F-350 trucks with passenger plates on the parkways all the time. Hope you find something out. Please post if you do.

Order soon before NY makes them illegal because guys who
buy them also buy guns!
I could not buy a V10 powered Super Duty back in 2007 due to emissions rules in this communist state. We will be like Kalifornia soon, ICE vehicles banned. Electric only. One reason I want to get a Tremor now. Big block V8's and diesel engines as we know them are going the way of the dinosaur.

I could not buy a V10 powered Super Duty back in 2007 due to emissions rules in this communist state. We will be like Kalifornia soon, ICE vehicles banned. Electric only. One reason I want to get a Tremor now. Big block V8's and diesel engines as we know them are going the way of the dinosaur.
where R U on LI?

I was about to place my order last night for a Platinum Tremor 7.3 Crew and 2 things that came up that made me hold off for another day. The first thing was that my dealer. said that due to the weight of the truck in NY it would have to be registered as a commercial vehicle. That is unless I wanted to add the bed cap on it which I do not want to do. I live on Long Island which is dominated by non commercial parkways so this would be a real hassle not to be able to drive on most of the major highways on the Island. If I had to bite the bullet and register it commercially I am considering changing my order to a F350 since there is no physical difference in the Tremor trim. I really don't want to do that so any suggestions from my fellow NY'ers on how they got passenger class plates would be welcome.

The second thing was on the Order Summary page the 10000 # GVWR Package was listed. When I asked that it be removed it also removed the Tremor package. That seems odd and counter to what is listed on the build your own page on the website. I've read the threads discussing that this is a de-rating option but it ordering system will not let the dealer take it off. Is this normal and should I care about this?

Thanks for the help!
where R U on LI ?

For as long as I can recall, the rule in NY has been that any pickup truck over 6000# requires commercial registration.

SFAIK, this doesn't really mean anything. It's just state administrative details inelegantly exposed to citizenry. i.e. The Super Duty's I've registered in NY were treated the same as the passenger vehicles I've registered in NY other than a difference in the tags.

And, as I recall, unlike most states, registration cost in NY is based on curb weight rather than GVWR so the registration cost of an F350 should be the same as an equally equipped F250.

A quick glance at these pages seems to confirm my recollection:

On the South Shore in Nassau County.
I'm in the franklin square ,garden city south area. You need a cap on the back for the dealership to register it with regular plates. I took my truck from the dealership with commercial plates (because it took 9 months to get) then I reregistered it with my regular plates.

when I traded in my 13 raptor(09/09/2019) the salesman said i would be able to keep the plates . it took 9 months to get my truck because of the truck being ordered wrong plus the china virus. the salesman was wrong so i showed DMV I that i had a cap ordered for the tremor and they swapped the comm plates for my plates . IT DID SUCK because DMV wasn't fully opened.

when I traded in my 13 raptor(09/09/2019) the salesman said i would be able to keep the plates . it took 9 months to get my truck because of the truck being ordered wrong plus the china virus. the salesman was wrong so i showed DMV I that i had a cap ordered for the tremor and they swapped the comm plates for my plates . IT DID SUCK because DMV wasn't fully opened.
Yes I plan to order a cap in case I need one. You can’t get around on the Island without use of the parkways.

We should start a Long Island Meet up once people start getting their trucks. I’m probably not getting mine until February- March as I don’t even have a VIN yet from my October 24th order.

Latest Discussions

Back