GMRS install

surfscottydog

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
Handsome Jack. 2022, F250 Tremor with four wheel camper, Fleet. All the bells and whistle‘s that I might need
Current Ride #2
Subaru Outback
Hopefully this question hasn’t been pounded into the Earth over and over again. I tried doing a search, but couldn’t find all the information I wanted.
I’ve got my GMRS radio, and I’m planning on installing it on top of the dashboard in that indent just in front of the speaker. I was also hoping I could use my Upfitter switch number 1 for this, since I don’t believe the radio draws too much power.
My question is just that do you think my Upfitter switch number 1 will work for this?
thanks in advance

Something to keep in mind, the truck has to be on in either accessory mode or running for upfitter 1 to have power. Sometimes I use my radio with the truck off. I wired mine directly to the battery. That or an always hot upfitter 5 or 6 would be more suitable options.

I also don’t see any advantage to taking up an upfitter switch. Seems redundant to me since the hand unit has a power button on it.

Thanks, I didn’t think about using it while the truck was off. I’ll give that some thought

Run the BuiltRight center dash mount. It gives you more than just a radio mounting point. Then consider spending the time to run the power from the battery into the cab. My KG-1000G + has a remote face mounted away from the unit. Unit is behind the rear passenger seat, all cables run to the inside, then to the remote face.

image000001.jpg

Back