Fox ATS fell off but it was my fault. I think…

1FORDy3rd

Tremoraholic
Reaction Points
Military
US ARMY
Current Ride
21 F250 XLT 7.3 Tremor
IMG_2468.jpeg

IMG_2467.jpeg

I installed this less than 1000 miles ago. Maybe 2 months ago. It honestly never felt right even maxed out at 20+ clicks. Driver side pot holes would always shimmy the steering wheel when hitting the same hole with passenger tire felt fine. Well this morning the shimmy was a little worse and this is what I found. The Allen bolt that holds the ATS to the clamp backed out. The clamp is mounted to the ATS from the factory. No sign of any thread lock on there either.

The reason I think this is my fault is because the instructions say mount the clamp at 7* degree angle. I must have overlooked that and had it at damn near 45* degrees. I got it all put back together and as close to 7* degrees as I can with blue locktite. It now feels like I imagined it was supposed to all along. No more shimmy on the pot hole!

I just bought the Carli low mount stabilizer and their instructions are clear about using thread locker. With all the vibration and twisting of the front linkages, and now your story, it's not surprising. I plan to use Loctite 272 (red) though.

I just bought the Carli low mount stabilizer and their instructions are clear about using thread locker. With all the vibration and twisting of the front linkages, and now your story, it's not surprising. I plan to use Loctite 272 (red) though.

Haha, i second the thread locker, use it or lose it

380819AE-9394-4480-8F87-8A954C8E7C4A.jpeg

I used blue thread lock on the clamp bolts but figured the factory would have done the same with the bolt that holds the clamp to the stabilizer. Should never assume!

Fox ATS’s have a history of either snapping off or loosening up. Stinks.

Mine didn't even last a week. You guys still trust these things? I'm getting 37's next week (factory suspension) and then towing to my camper to Moab the week after. Long term goal is Carli everything, this was to just hold me over until I lift it.

Should I try to make the Fox work or go back to stock?

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-23 at 09.17.28.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-23 at 09.56.06.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-23 at 09.56.46.jpeg

I bought mine from the original group buy and haven't had any issues. I've pulled my 5th wheel and taken in on desert trails without issues. I did use a grade 8 bolt from the hardware store on the initial install though from reading about reports of bolt shearing.

Edit: The group buy was from May of 2021, so I have about 36k miles on it without issues so far on the bolt I sourced myself.

Last edited:
Mine didn't even last a week. You guys still trust these things? I'm getting 37's next week (factory suspension) and then towing to my camper to Moab the week after. Long term goal is Carli everything, this was to just hold me over until I lift it.

View attachment 153507
View attachment 153508
View attachment 153509

Since the day i joined the forum in 2021 there have been numerous stories of Fox ATS just falling off Superduties. I personally wouldn’t trust it based on the feedback i’ve seen.

I believe most were sent with too short of a bolt. Not enough threads to secure it.

Agreed on the threadlocker. I had my Fox ATS come free after probably ~70k miles. Thankfully we happened to stop for groceries and noticed it and the bolt was captured by the shaft. We patched it up in the parking lot then got it fixed up right when we got back to camp.

I just bought a replacement Fox Clamp since I'm in a hurry.

But, the bolt (that I likely don't want) is on back order. I'll aim to source a better grade bolt anyway.

I had the Fox ATS on my 2020 and wasn't a fan of the clamp / mounting system.

Any reason why they couldn't have just utilized the factory mount? I'm assuming cost savings of having a universal style?

View attachment 153507
View attachment 153508
View attachment 153509
Billstein is better than both, I have Fox reservoir shox and really like them, do not like Fox stabilizer for stock applications.

I bought mine from the original group buy and haven't had any issues. I've pulled my 5th wheel and taken in on desert trails without issues. I did use a grade 8 bolt from the hardware store on the initial install though from reading about reports of bolt shearing.

Edit: The group buy was from May of 2021, so I have about 36k miles on it without issues so far on the bolt I sourced myself.

Where did you get the bolt from? I was about to make a trip to the hardware store but this seems rather unique. It would feel weird to ditch the o-ring.

20240426_125230.jpg

20240426_125457.jpg

20240426_125628.jpg

Where did you get the bolt from? I was about to make a trip to the hardware store but this seems rather unique. It would feel weird to ditch the o-ring.

View attachment 153829

View attachment 153830

View attachment 153831

I really dont remember the install so I had to look at posts from 2021, and apparently, it was the bolt on the other end I replaced. I also replaced the bolts with the allen heads people of people stripping those. Here are someone else's pictures of the bolt i replaced, and the old thread: https://www.fordtremor.com/threads/fox-ats-2-0-install.4944/

1714159228256.png

1714159253351.png

Back