FORD ESP experience

Gottabecampin

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
I'm having a Transmission problem with my 20 that has been documented via a TSB. Feeling confident that I purchased the Ford premium ESP, I dropped my vehicle off at the dealership (after a 6 week wait) to get the trans fixed. Let me tell you, it's been a :poop: show. Dealer and Ford ESP go back and forth for several days on what they are going to do about it. Dealer wants to replace whole trans, Ford ESP wants it rebuilt with hard to find parts. Four days go by and I call the ESP to find out what the hold up is. After all, I purchased the FORD ESP not some third party BS. The person at ESP couldn't understand why I was upset that this repair was taking long and that "I didn't understand that it was a 9k repair" Me- Listen Scooter, do you understand that this is a $80k truck that I need. I bought the Ford warranty not the easy greasy plan. Let's get this thing moving ok. Ford ESP tells dealer to rebuild instead of replace. So fast forward to day 15. I call dealership to check on it. Dealer- So we replaced the parts and it is still not right. Me- Ok what's the plan? Dealer- IDK my only tech is out today. Me- So I getting tagged everyday for rental charge and no one is working on it? Dealer- Correct. Me- :mad:Reminds self that going thermonuclear will not help.

I'm not happy that I got a trans issue on a $80k truck with 70K miles BUT the Ford ESP adversarial attitudes has made the problem way way worse for their "customer" The dealer isn't faultless in this either.

Be warned that your ESP might not be what you think it is.

I've used the ESP on my GT500 for a valve spring repair and yea, they make you jump through more hoops. the dealer has more latitude when its under the original warranty, but ESP not so much. GL with your repair.

What TSB applies to your issues?

Scary. Not many warm and fuzzy stories these days.

Just my $.02:
I'll bet the problem is they (ESP) want to use the TSB as the source of the problem. Hence the ESP will only cover items "broke" outside the TSB. The tech can't show any other "broke" parts. Hence the fight over the replacement and leaving you in the middle.

Sure sucks either way. Good luck with it.

ESP is as good as you the Service dept using it, there is ways to escalate the repair to a unit if the parts are not readily available. The TSB you are referencing does not fix many of the 10R140's we see as it's just a main control overhaul not a transmission overhaul. If the dealer tried to replace the unit by just using that TSB no way will ESP approve the unit. Tech has to use a Smart Cost Cap tool to justify the unit replacement and would need to know what all parts are needed for the repair. (Tear down and inspect the unit). ESP is not at fault on this one it appears maybe an issue with the dealer at this point. Hard to say not knowing all the facts but we deal with ESP every day and are pretty easy to deal with as long as you play by their rules.

I just bought my TSB Today. Ford premium after 14 months 32k miles. 84 months / 175k miles

I'm having a Transmission problem with my 20 that has been documented via a TSB. Feeling confident that I purchased the Ford premium ESP, I dropped my vehicle off at the dealership (after a 6 week wait) to get the trans fixed. Let me tell you, it's been a :poop: show. Dealer and Ford ESP go back and forth for several days on what they are going to do about it. Dealer wants to replace whole trans, Ford ESP wants it rebuilt with hard to find parts. Four days go by and I call the ESP to find out what the hold up is. After all, I purchased the FORD ESP not some third party BS. The person at ESP couldn't understand why I was upset that this repair was taking long and that "I didn't understand that it was a 9k repair" Me- Listen Scooter, do you understand that this is a $80k truck that I need. I bought the Ford warranty not the easy greasy plan. Let's get this thing moving ok. Ford ESP tells dealer to rebuild instead of replace. So fast forward to day 15. I call dealership to check on it. Dealer- So we replaced the parts and it is still not right. Me- Ok what's the plan? Dealer- IDK my only tech is out today. Me- So I getting tagged everyday for rental charge and no one is working on it? Dealer- Correct. Me- :mad:Reminds self that going thermonuclear will not help.

I'm not happy that I got a trans issue on a $80k truck with 70K miles BUT the Ford ESP adversarial attitudes has made the problem way way worse for their "customer" The dealer isn't faultless in this either.

Be warned that your ESP might not be what you think it is.
Everytime I have had a ESP claim the rental was free to me...Just had them give me a loner earlier in the week when they were trouble shooting my APIM module. Took them 2 days.

10 speed trans harsh engagement. There’s a few threads on it. 21-2420
I recall that happening here and there on my ‘20 Tremor as well. Traded out at 46k miles and wish I hadn’t because now I’m getting back into a ‘24. Maybe I dodged a bullet.

Back