Firewall access

Do we know where some of these inside cab grounding points might be located? I’d rather not have to rip up a bunch of stuff hunting for them, but was hopeful, and pretty certain, there were some in there
I am not sure about a ground in the headliner near the 3rd brake light as I haven't pulled mine apart, but if using the pass-through wires there is a ground in the kick panel that I used when wiring my dashcam.

Edit: Here is the thread that I followed for my install. Running your Rigid lights through the headliner down to the kickpanel using his method may be easy enough. Then just use this ground and connect to the pass through wires to the upfitters.

1675101386684.png

Last edited:
there is no reason to run the ground all the way to the engine bay
Correct - find your closest ground. I was referencing if you tie directly to the upfitter wires under the module next to the battery, find a ground in the engine bay. We typically run a #14 4 conductor Belden cable from the module into the door sill plate and tie all our accessories in there

Alrighty then: Kings & Queens - where are you punching through for firewall? I need access to the cab to the engine bay? I need to hook up some upfitter switches! :)
As I said in your Ham Radio thread, I was not impressed with how the OEM Model Year 2020 pass through wires were implemented as shown in the YouTube video you posted. I built a six wire (one for each upfitter switch), 14-gauge color coded harness using wiring loom. I also had a requirement for a RG-58 coaxial cable from the engine compartment to inside the cabin. I used a Greenlee punch to make a 1 ¼ inch hole in the firewall. The wiring loom and the coax are routed through a Firewall Boot Grommet. Each of the six wires are connected to an upfitter power lead in the engine compartment. I connect my devices to the leads inside the truck cabin with Anderson Power Pole connectors. Also, I could not find the correct size fuses to replace the 15 amps in the upfitter power box so I used an inline fuse in the power circuits (I use 5 out of 6 switches).
Grommet Cabin.jpg
Grommet Engine Bay.jpg
Wiring Loom Engine Bay.jpg

As I said in your Ham Radio thread, I was not impressed with how the OEM Model Year 2020 pass through wires were implemented as shown in the YouTube video you posted. I built a six wire (one for each upfitter switch), 14-gauge color coded harness using wiring loom. I also had a requirement for a RG-58 coaxial cable from the engine compartment to inside the cabin. I used a Greenlee punch to make a 1 ¼ inch hole in the firewall. The wiring loom and the coax are routed through a Firewall Boot Grommet. Each of the six wires are connected to an upfitter power lead in the engine compartment. I connect my devices to the leads inside the truck cabin with Anderson Power Pole connectors. Also, I could not find the correct size fuses to replace the 15 amps in the upfitter power box so I used an inline fuse in the power circuits (I use 5 out of 6 switches).View attachment 111335View attachment 111336View attachment 111337
NICE WORK! Thank you for sharing this detail!

Back