Silverback
Reaction Points
Military
USN
Current Ride
2021 F-250 6.7 "Silverback"
Current Ride #2
2015 Corvette Z51 "Vettenessa"
A recent thread brough back memories of trying to find a bed cover. So, I will share my experience with everyone.

My original plan was to buy a folding bed cover from Agricover. I have a roof top tent that would prevent it from folding open and I figured that would be a "security feature" ?

Well, it arrived and parts were missing. Plus, it was damaged in shipping. If it was minor damage, I would have tried to fix it but this was major damage. The customer service rep agreed with me that the paper thin cardboard and lack of any real packing material was the real problem. I returned the bed cover and got a full refund.

Next, I ordered the BAK Revolver X4 and told my coworker about my order. He immediately said that his fell apart becuase of the heat ?
I called up BAK customer service and asked if my coworker's claim was true? The CSR said yes it is true for states like Texas and Arizona. So, I asked to cancel the order and forget the whole thing. The CSR asked if I would be interested in the X4s? I told him that I had never heard of it. He explained that it was a redesign that solves the heat issue and that it was just released. I said sure I will try it.

Things get interesting at this point. The orginal X4 had already shipped out to me. So, I had to wait for it to arrive and then ship it back with the return shipping label that BAK emailed to me. Once BAK saw that the X4 cover was heading back to them, they sent out the X4s.

So, the X4s arrived and I was all excited to get it installed! Step 1 was to check that every single nut and bolt was in the box. Step 1 complete! Step 2 was to check for any shipping damage. None visible. Step 2 complete! Installation was going great! I was about to set the fastest installation time of a bed cover in recorded human history! I reached into the box and grabbed the last rail. It was for the driver's side. Almost done! I had to laugh at myself for putting the rail on backwards. What a silly mistake. Would it cost me valuble seconds and crush my record time? So, I flip it around and it still doesn't fit? That is when I realized that I had it right the first time but it was damaged in shipping! Are you F'ing kidding me!

I called up BAK customer service. The CSR was very nice, she gave me a full refund, and explained that the cover now belongs to FedEx. What? So, the refund is based on BAK filing a shipping damage claim with FedEx. ?‍♂️

I gave up on trying to get a bed cover.

As time went on and summer vacation got closer, I realized that I really did need a bed cover. So, I tried again and ordered another BAK X4s. It arrived and once again it had shipping damage on the driver's side rail. It was minor and I was able to bend it back into place.

So, the 4th time is the charm and the BAK X4s is working great so far.

Every truck hero cover I've ordered in the last few years has either had quality issues, shopping damage, or incorrect rails (two drivers side rails, etc...) and they're located in SE MI in my stomping grounds. Never again. I was dead set on the retrax until I realized truck hero owns that brand too.

I am looking at Lomax or Diamondback again for the Tremor. My only reservation about the diamondback was how big of a pita it was to take apart when I needed full use of the bed (plan on towing a gooseneck every so often). It comes apart fairly easily but the panels are heavy and inconvenient to remove and store (and I'm a bigger guy who is in decent shape, I can't imagine the PITA factor for someone elderly or on the smaller side). The Lomax looks great but seems flimsy - it does have the easy removal advantage.

A recent thread brough back memories of trying to find a bed cover. So, I will share my experience with everyone.

My original plan was to buy a folding bed cover from Agricover. I have a roof top tent that would prevent it from folding open and I figured that would be a "security feature" ?

Well, it arrived and parts were missing. Plus, it was damaged in shipping. If it was minor damage, I would have tried to fix it but this was major damage. The customer service rep agreed with me that the paper thin cardboard and lack of any real packing material was the real problem. I returned the bed cover and got a full refund.

Next, I ordered the BAK Revolver X4 and told my coworker about my order. He immediately said that his fell apart becuase of the heat ?
I called up BAK customer service and asked if my coworker's claim was true? The CSR said yes it is true for states like Texas and Arizona. So, I asked to cancel the order and forget the whole thing. The CSR asked if I would be interested in the X4s? I told him that I had never heard of it. He explained that it was a redesign that solves the heat issue and that it was just released. I said sure I will try it.

Things get interesting at this point. The orginal X4 had already shipped out to me. So, I had to wait for it to arrive and then ship it back with the return shipping label that BAK emailed to me. Once BAK saw that the X4 cover was heading back to them, they sent out the X4s.

So, the X4s arrived and I was all excited to get it installed! Step 1 was to check that every single nut and bolt was in the box. Step 1 complete! Step 2 was to check for any shipping damage. None visible. Step 2 complete! Installation was going great! I was about to set the fastest installation time of a bed cover in recorded human history! I reached into the box and grabbed the last rail. It was for the driver's side. Almost done! I had to laugh at myself for putting the rail on backwards. What a silly mistake. Would it cost me valuble seconds and crush my record time? So, I flip it around and it still doesn't fit? That is when I realized that I had it right the first time but it was damaged in shipping! Are you F'ing kidding me!

I called up BAK customer service. The CSR was very nice, she gave me a full refund, and explained that the cover now belongs to FedEx. What? So, the refund is based on BAK filing a shipping damage claim with FedEx. ?‍♂️

I gave up on trying to get a bed cover.

As time went on and summer vacation got closer, I realized that I really did need a bed cover. So, I tried again and ordered another BAK X4s. It arrived and once again it had shipping damage on the driver's side rail. It was minor and I was able to bend it back into place.

So, the 4th time is the charm and the BAK X4s is working great so far.
Thank you for the detailed write up on your trials and tribulations getting a working bed cover. I asked their CSR the same question about the felt falling off when i ordered my Revolver late last year. The girl assured me it was a bad batch of glue that caused the early problems, so I ordered mine at a substantial discount during their holiday sale. This was before the new version had been announced.

Fast forward to today, and mine has survived in 100+ degree weather in Texas, so I hope it was indeed a glue problem. The top is great for keeping out the water compared to the previous 3 Bak Flips I owned and I really like that I can open it all the way and still see out my rear view window. So far it gets 5 stars from me and if the felt fails, I will use the warranty to get them to replace it with a new version, like yours.

So How did they fix the peeling off of the felt on the under side ? That’s what kept me from getting and seeing how bad the customer services had been for some.
Instead of using glue, they are using an interlocking plastic clip that holds each slat. The design of those plastic clips reminds me of the belt feed ammo links I used with the M60 and later the M240.

Instead of using glue, they are using an interlocking plastic clip that holds each slat. The design of those plastic clips reminds me of the belt feed ammo links I used with the M60 and later the M240.
Do you have any pictures of the bottom side? I would like to see what they changed compared to mine.

So How did they fix the peeling off of the felt on the under side ? That’s what kept me from getting and seeing how bad the customer services had been for some.
They are still using glue on the slats to attach the vinyl to aluminum. I went through 2 X4s covers with multiple issues, one being delaminating. First cover Bak replaced no issue but the second cover I still have not heard back from Bak, over 30 days now. Thankfully realtruck refunded my money after a few emails. It was a nice cover but just didn’t work out for me, others seem to have had better luck that’s for sure. Now considering lomax or peragon, not in any rush though.

They are still using glue on the slats to attach the vinyl to aluminum. I went through 2 X4s covers with multiple issues, one being delaminating. First cover Bak replaced no issue but the second cover I still have not heard back from Bak, over 30 days now. Thankfully realtruck refunded my money after a few emails. It was a nice cover but just didn’t work out for me, others seem to have had better luck that’s for sure. Now considering lomax or peragon, not in any rush though.
Interesting... They gave you a refund, but allowed you to keep the cover? Mine has been great so far... ?

Interesting... They gave you a refund, but allowed you to keep the cover? Mine has been great so far... ?
No I sent the cover back to realtruck, I didn’t want it anyways as that one was delaminating and the tailgate seal was beginning to peel off. Not all covers are bad I have read plenty with good things to say about Bak, just luck of the draw I guess. I don’t really need one right now so just taking my time to decide.

Do you have any pictures of the bottom side? I would like to see what they changed compared to mine.
F5DC7C97-EBBB-4DA7-AD45-616B62ACE624.jpeg

D83E114C-1410-495E-8007-2850FF39EC56.jpeg

A1CAB46A-E4C2-416B-A4F8-4A484849DECD.jpeg

I am assuming glue but whatever adhesive they used failed. I always keep a pair of leather gloves in my door panel but yes the cover does still get very hot in the sun.

Attachments

• 1628014700886.png
    1628014700886.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 22
Ok, thanks! That is not what I was expecting... :unsure:

I use the felt area on mine to roll it up to avoid burning my hands on 100+ degree days and pinching my fingers, which has happened several times when rolling it up in a hurry without my gloves. Can you use the plastic clips to save your hands when rolling up the top? Also, how hot does it get with the underside being black?
I just use the palm of my hand and roll it back.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back