Factory warn winch free spool not working

PapaRaptor

Tremor Maniac
Reaction Points
Current Ride
6.7 F350 Tremor "Velocity" Blue Lariat Sport
Current Ride #2
7.3 F350 Iconic silver THE SILVER FOX
My winch is 8 months old not very used. The lever is very tight and I can't get the winch to free spool. it does work with the power both in and out. Is there a tip or trick to get it loose. I had this before on my Honda ATV with a small Warn but eventually replaced it with a newer warn Winch. That is where the lever is stuck right now.

IMG_0234.jpeg

Not sure but it looks like your handle is contacting bumper trim. Is the problem you can't turn handle or that it is not free spooling when it is in free spool setting.

Not sure but it looks like your handle is contacting bumper trim. Is the problem you can't turn handle or that it is not free spooling when it is in free spool setting.
It clears the trim but I can't move the handle.
its tight but the trim is not holding it back. It did used to work

I'm having my factory winch replaced under warranty next week as this was one of my issues along with it over-heating with no load on it.

One of the first things I noticed was how poorly it was free-spooling, it was a struggle to pull it out and I'm not a small human - im 6'6" and weigh 265lbs.

My dealership was great to deal with and got the warranty claim approved quickly and the winch was there after about 2 weeks.

I've had to fiddle with it in the past. Usually just pulling on the rope in different directions then I'd be able to finally turn the lever the whole way. Sometimes needed to run the rope out with the motor.

I think the gears get caught just right and make turning to free spool almost impossible.

thanks guy, I will mess with it some more
can somebody snap a photo of how the lever should be when locked vs free ???

Mine is upright and stuck right now and I don't know what end is up.

Do you have your winch manual? If you do, I would think/hope it would have that info. I'm a total winch noob, so I hope it's there...

Do you have your winch manual? If you do, I would think/hope it would have that info. I'm a total winch noob, so I hope it's there...
🤣🤣🤣🤣 read the owner manual you don't know me 🤣🤣🤣🤣 I probably should get it out its in the glove box, that would be to easy.........

The handle pointing at the fairlead is locked/engaged and pointing away is free spool.

It moves a full 180 degrees.

At least I got this done today. ( Rope Guard )
IMG_0266.jpeg

IMG_0268 2.jpeg

Did both today, if you have a bearing press it works much better than a hammer and punch.

and sad to say that Smittybilt 9k on the jeep has been trouble free after 3 years, I am thrilled I did not spend the $$$ on the Warn.

I've always been frustrated with how difficult Warn winches are to pull the line out in free spool. I've had my winches apart a few times. Had to replace the planetary gears in one a couple years ago. After talking to their service guys about it, they recommended a certain grease and to put it on very sparingly using a small brush to "paint" the gears. I did this and it didn't make it any easier to pull out. It's frustrating because other brands are so easy to pull out.

I will mess around with it once I get my exhaust back on. thats another thread.

hopefully I can get it loose

Latest Discussions

Back