Duratracs mountain snowflake rated?

I've read multiple times that the factory duratracs are snowflake rated but I can't find the symbol on the tire sidewall. Am I missing something? 285/75/18 126Q

2022 tremor fyi
They are mud snd snow rated according to Tire Rack. This was listed on their website where they review tires.

2021 MY delivered 12/2020

Attachments

• 083C8A66-7366-4D6C-B35B-D69B095B6D82.jpeg
    083C8A66-7366-4D6C-B35B-D69B095B6D82.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 123
Have suggestions on what’s better as a multi-use, multi-season tire?

Obviously dedicated winter tires are better, but my impression is that the DuraTracs are quite good in winter for an all terrain.
I for one am planning to go with the Falken WildPeak AT3W. I have heard great things about them from a number of different people.

My truck was delivered a couple of weeks ago , I noticed the Duratrac's have M+S (Mud and Snow) on the sidewall vs the snowflake. M+S is suitable traction tires when chains are required in the Northwest but not sure in other parts of the country.

They are mud snd snow rated according to Tire Rack. This was listed on their website where they review tires.
Yep! But M+S essentially says it’s an all season tire. Mountain snowflake indicates it’s more biased towards winter performance (though there’s still a range of performance, of course).

Be careful to check the fine print on your policy, 3PMSF on an all season tire may not qualify you on the discount, all winter tires are 3PMSF, but not all 3PMSF tires are winter tires. Anyway, you"d hate to have a claim not paid for a technicality.
Your comment reminds me that "Full Synthetic" Oil is NOT 100% Synthetic Oil.

For those who have never driven in the snow on a dedicated “snow” the difference is night and day. That said, I would not want to run them year around due to increased wear in the summer months. Especially towing. The way I look at it is, yes it is more expensive to have a winter and summer set up, but you also double your tread life and have the right tire for the driving conditions you’re in.

I have a winter and summer set up for my sequoia, have a great contact for a guy who resells dealer take offs, looks like I’ll be giving him a call.

My tires have the 3PMSF symbol. Built 02/2021.

My guess is one of two things happened in late 2021:
1. Goodyear needed to increase the price of the 3PMSF rated Duratracs due to certification and quality requirements. Ford said no, and Goodyear provided cheaper tires that are not 3PMSF compliant but still meet the requirements outlined in the purchase agreement.

2. Goodyear is selling Duratracs on a lot of OEM trucks. To save cost, they removed the 3PMSF rating as it was likely NOT listed as a requirement in the purchase agreements with the various OEMs (Mostly Ford and GM), and this is the result.

NOTE: I am assuming the 3PMSF rating carries a quality and/or performance requirement that is more expensive to meet - likely either due to the rubber compound itself, the hardness, or a combination thereof.

For those who have never driven in the snow on a dedicated “snow” the difference is night and day. That said, I would not want to run them year around due to increased wear in the summer months. Especially towing. The way I look at it is, yes it is more expensive to have a winter and summer set up, but you also double your tread life and have the right tire for the driving conditions you’re in.

I have a winter and summer set up for my sequoia, have a great contact for a guy who resells dealer take offs, looks like I’ll be giving him a call.
I agree with your point. Here's the problem:

It can get in the 80s here in the spring/fall, and a week later it is in the teens and snows half a foot. This is the middle of the mid-west, not an extreme.

A jack of all trades all season tire guarantees a minimum level of performance in all conditions that is higher than that of dedicated summer/winter tires. IE, better than a summer tire in winter conditions, and better than a winter tire in summer conditions.

Live somewhere like the UP of MI, in CO, or anywhere snow is on the ground from October through April, dedicated snows are great. For a lot of us, they make zero sense.

I agree with your point. Here's the problem:

It can get in the 80s here in the spring/fall, and a week later it is in the teens and snows half a foot. This is the middle of the mid-west, not an extreme.

A jack of all trades all season tire guarantees a minimum level of performance in all conditions that is higher than that of dedicated summer/winter tires. IE, better than a summer tire in winter conditions, and better than a winter tire in summer conditions.

Live somewhere like the UP of MI, in CO, or anywhere snow is on the ground from October through April, dedicated snows are great. For a lot of us, they make zero sense.
Also applies for those who live in the lowlands, where it’s fairly warm, but drive to the mountains for winter activities or trips.

This concept can work for several people in some areas of the country, but the feasibility of implementing such a program can vary in different areas. It would partly work in Colorado and Wyoming.....but at best it would be a 4 month / 8 month split give or take a couple of weeks. Modify that schedule with moderate to above normal rain in May to early June and or rain from mid September to early October.....both somewhat unusual, but can and does happen as it did rain for a couple of weeks in late September into early October this year.

Those hard rains made for very muddy conditions for the bow hunters and early season rifle hunters. Two "mud seasons" here (Colorado / Wyoming) in 2021 - March / April and September / October. As far as the Midwest goes, Missouri usually gets a lot of rain as was the case most of this past summer, thus causing muddy conditions.

All of the above areas are my stomping grounds and my truck and Jeep have always been used off the pavement measurably more than average. It is under these circumstances, which is the reason(s) why I am a big fan of the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac tires. I also understand why many truck owners are big fans of the Nitto Ridge Grapplers, which are less aggressive in mud.

Last edited:
This concept can work for several people in some areas of the country, but the feasibility of implementing such a program can vary in different areas. It would partly work in Colorado and Wyoming.....but at best it would be a 4 month / 8 month split give or take a couple of weeks. Modify that schedule with moderate to above normal rain in May to early June and or rain from mid September to early October.....both somewhat unusual, but can and does happen as it did rain for a couple of weeks in late September into early October this year.

Those hard rains made for very muddy conditions for the bow hunters and early season rifle hunters. Two "mud seasons" here (Colorado / Wyoming) in 2021 - March / April and September / October. As far as the Midwest goes, Missouri usually gets a lot of rain as was the case most of this past summer, thus causing muddy conditions.

All of the above areas are my stomping grounds and my truck and Jeep have always been used off the pavement measurably more than average. It is under these circumstances, which is the reason(s) why I am a big fan of the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac tires. I also understand why many truck owners are big fans of the Nitto Ridge Grapplers, which are less aggressive in mud.
I can certainly see and understand why people want to run the same tires year around, but is there really a set up for mud, snow and ice? For me, I typically put my dedicated snow tires on in Dec and take off end of April or early may. For me, I drive I to the snow as I live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada’s and 99.9% of the time will not see snow fall on my house.

The jury is still out for me on what I will do. I will try the Duratracs in the snow once I get my truck. I also may be adding a topper for the added weight on the rear end for the winter. I’d prefer not to have to alternate back and forth between 2 sets because I’m already storing 2 winter setups for my son and myself. I feel really secure in my Sequoia on snow, ice & rain when I put on the Blizzaks. For comparison, I’m running Michelin LTX A/T2 for my summer setup…which are a great tire, the Blizzaks are just that much better.

As you mentioned, this is definitely a regional issue. I’d say about 50%+ of Tahoe locals have winter and summer setups because the difference is huge. Obviously is an expensive addition to an already expensive vehicle, but at the end of the day, it’s worth it to me to have the right tire for the right situation.

I would like what you have to say about the conditions in CO as my son just took a job as a guide based out of Durango (4 corners region). He was in Tahoe for the past 4 years so we may need a different winter tire set up.

It might be inconvenient in some regions, but it doesn't change the fact of performance gains of real winter tires on snow and ice.

I run them when I see the weather consistently changing from around late November until roughly late April.

I get it, everyone strikes a balance that works for them...

But the one day you need the traction, the better stopping, they pay for themselves... It's a better driving experience too, you notice the performance.

I've only ever known one person that ran Blizzaks on his F150 for winter, it was a city kid with his very first truck. He intended to run them year round, had no idea they wouldn't last long above 40 degrees.

I can certainly see and understand why people want to run the same tires year around, but is there really a set up for mud, snow and ice? For me, I typically put my dedicated snow tires on in Dec and take off end of April or early may. For me, I drive I to the snow as I live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada’s and 99.9% of the time will not see snow fall on my house.

The jury is still out for me on what I will do. I will try the Duratracs in the snow once I get my truck. I also may be adding a topper for the added weight on the rear end for the winter. I’d prefer not to have to alternate back and forth between 2 sets because I’m already storing 2 winter setups for my son and myself. I feel really secure in my Sequoia on snow, ice & rain when I put on the Blizzaks. For comparison, I’m running Michelin LTX A/T2 for my summer setup…which are a great tire, the Blizzaks are just that much better.

As you mentioned, this is definitely a regional issue. I’d say about 50%+ of Tahoe locals have winter and summer setups because the difference is huge. Obviously is an expensive addition to an already expensive vehicle, but at the end of the day, it’s worth it to me to have the right tire for the right situation.

I would like what you have to say about the conditions in CO as my son just took a job as a guide based out of Durango (4 corners region). He was in Tahoe for the past 4 years so we may need a different winter tire set up.
If I remember correctly, the Durango area gets about 70 inches of snow a year (about 60 inches along the Front Range). Not much snow to the south around Farmington NM...but more up north toward Silverton and on up to Montrose. There are 3 mountain passes (Molas, Coal Bank and Red Mountain) between Durango and Ouray.....lots of snow and Red Mountain has a well documented history of being EXTREMELY dangerous...lots of people go off the road (no guard rails), roll their vehicle several hundred feet and die!

The snow does not stay on 90% of the paved roads very long in the Rocky Mountain states with the exception of shaded areas (north facing slopes) that get little to no sun during the day time. Obviously, Montana is going to be a bit different than New Mexico because of latitude, but the same situation is generally the case.

During my high frequency towing years with Ford SD diesel trucks, I primarily opted for the Michelin LTX tires (both M/S and AT2) and had an extra set of rims with mud tires which I used 3 times a year (spring mud season, summer horse camping and fall hunting), but it was a hassle changing back and forth. So...I can appreciate and understand your reasons for two sets of rims and tires.

I have a set of these for sale that came off of a previous 2006 F350 Lariat 4WD truck (see attached photos with Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 285 / 75R - 18 tires mounted on custom KR rims - 5C3Z1007NA) ------->

https://www.hubcaphaven.com/p/2248/aly3603-ford-f250-f350-wheel-polished-5c3z1007ma.html

However, things do change, towing frequency has gone down and off-road use has gone up...hence the 7.3L gas engine and the reason I like the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac tires.....good tread lugs with zig zag sipes and adequate tread void....the combination is very hard to beat for mud and snow use. I really like the 285 / 75R - 18 size (35.1 height x 11.2 width). Would be even better if Goodyear would make the DuraTrac in 37 x 11.5 or 37 x 11.75....tall for clearance and narrow for snow. I am looking at possibly using the Falken Wildpeak M/T tires for the Jeep Wrangler JKU Rubicon HR.

Attachments

• IMG_1887.JPG
    IMG_1887.JPG
    174.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1891.JPG
    IMG_1891.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 39
South of Denver here on the palmer devide. On average we get about 90 inches of snow a year. My 21 has the m+s and also the snowflake 3PMSF symbol. Havent been all that impressed with these tires on the Tremor.

I've always run Duratracs on our GX470 and Tacoma and they perform better then anything else I've used. They wear very well and I have no reason to replace them with anything else. Fast forward to the Tremor and I'm having a totally different experience. I will say I keep a constant 4-700 lbs of sand in the back of it pending weather conditions. At 11k miles I've had 7/32 of wear. So the tires are right at 10.5-11 32nds left. The tacoma has 26k miles on set of duratracs and only 4/32 of wear. I know it's kind of apples to oranges comparison but realistically I would only be comfortable getting one winter out of the Tremor on the factory tires. Vs 3 winters on other vehicles. Once below half tread I lose faith in tires and replace them. At least for where we live.

Not sure like others have stated that it could be a different compound for these, but the rate these things are wearing is not very good. I do mostly highway miles and run 65 PSI. Rotate every 4k.

I will be trying another tire here shortly.

It might be inconvenient in some regions, but it doesn't change the fact of performance gains of real winter tires on snow and ice.

I run them when I see the weather consistently changing from around late November until roughly late April.

I get it, everyone strikes a balance that works for them...

But the one day you need the traction, the better stopping, they pay for themselves... It's a better driving experience too, you

If I remember correctly, the Durango area gets about 70 inches of snow a year (about 60 inches along the Front Range). Not much snow to the south around Farmington NM...but more up north toward Silverton and on up to Montrose. There are 3 mountain passes (Molas, Coal Bank and Red Mountain) between Durango and Ouray.....lots of snow and Red Mountain has a well documented history of being EXTREMELY dangerous...lots of people go off the road (no guard rails), roll their vehicle several hundred feet and die!

The snow does not stay on 90% of the paved roads very long in the Rocky Mountain states with the exception of shaded areas (north facing slopes) that get little to no sun during the day time. Obviously, Montana is going to be a bit different than New Mexico because of latitude, but the same situation is generally the case.

During my high frequency towing years with Ford SD diesel trucks, I primarily opted for the Michelin LTX tires (both M/S and AT2) and had an extra set of rims with mud tires which I used 3 times a year (spring mud season, summer horse camping and fall hunting), but it was a hassle changing back and forth. So...I can appreciate and understand your reasons for two sets of rims and tires.

I have a set of these for sale that came off of a previous 2006 F350 Lariat 4WD truck (see attached photos with Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 285 / 75R - 18 tires mounted on custom KR rims - 5C3Z1007NA) ------->

https://www.hubcaphaven.com/p/2248/aly3603-ford-f250-f350-wheel-polished-5c3z1007ma.html

However, things do change, towing frequency has gone down and off-road use has gone up...hence the 7.3L gas engine and the reason I like the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac tires.....good tread lugs with zig zag sipes and adequate tread void....the combination is very hard to beat for mud and snow use. I really like the 285 / 75R - 18 size (35.1 height x 11.2 width). Would be even better if Goodyear would make the DuraTrac in 37 x 11.5 or 37 x 11.75....tall for clearance and narrow for snow. I am looking at possibly using the Falken Wildpeak M/T tires for the Jeep Wrangler JKU Rubicon HR.
Thank you for your response, much appreciated. We currently have two sets of winter tires for his vehicle. I had purchased a set of Blizzaks for his SUV (2006 GX 470) and we were given a set of studded winter tires for it as well. My son ran the Blizzaks for the first year in Tahoe and then opted for the studded tires for the last three years. Based on your comments, my inclination is to go with the Blizzaks for his winter set up opposed to the studded tires, any thoughts?

Thank you for your response, much appreciated. We currently have two sets of winter tires for his vehicle. I had purchased a set of Blizzaks for his SUV (2006 GX 470) and we were given a set of studded winter tires for it as well. My son ran the Blizzaks for the first year in Tahoe and then opted for the studded tires for the last three years. Based on your comments, my inclination is to go with the Blizzaks for his winter set up opposed to the studded tires, any thoughts?
IDK....for three reasons. 1. The climate and weather varies greatly in different areas of the state. Same is true in Montana, Utah and Wyoming. The towns of Pueblo, Penrose, Canon City (pronounced Canyon City), are located in the "banana belt"...little rainfall and not much snow accumulations. 2. I have never lived in the Durango area, so not sure about snowfall accumulations from mid fall to early spring. 3. Never owned a set of Blizzak tires. Only tires close to Blizzaks I have consistently used are Michelin LTX...both M / S and AT2. Therefore, difficult to have a good opinion.

Back