do you leave your diesel running at the pump, or shut it off?

19mystic96

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 platinum f250 tremor
Current Ride #2
1996 Mystic Cobra
arriving sometime next week is my platinum tremor. It's my first brand new vehicle and my first diesel, and I am beyond excited for it to show up. When I was in high school, I worked at a gas station pumping fuel, washing windows, checking oil, etc and noticed quite a few diesels coming in and left the truck running while refueling. It got my mind wondering why, which I researched a bit while it was fresh in my mind back then. Now that my truck is coming soon, it got me thinkin......

How many of you all leave their diesels running while you refill? if you do, why do you leave it running? and if you don't, why not?

arriving sometime next week is my platinum tremor. It's my first brand new vehicle and my first diesel, and I am beyond excited for it to show up. When I was in high school, I worked at a gas station pumping fuel, washing windows, checking oil, etc and noticed quite a few diesels coming in and left the truck running while refueling. It got my mind wondering why, which I researched a bit while it was fresh in my mind back then. Now that my truck is coming soon, it got me thinkin......

How many of you all leave their diesels running while you refill? if you do, why do you leave it running? and if you don't, why not?
Leave it running. Better for a diesel, diesel is also non flammable unlike gas!

Leave it running. Better for a diesel, diesel is also non flammable unlike gas!
Haha! Not to call you out but this is so not true. It is still a combustible engine. Diesel is 100% a flammable liquid. The difference is that it’s ignition temperature is higher than that of gasoline. A small spark or a lit cigarette may not ignite it as easy as it would gas but it is highly flammable and once it does ignite, it burns much hotter than gas.

Haha! Not to call you out but this is so not true. It is still a combustible engine. Diesel is 100% a flammable liquid. The difference is that it’s ignition temperature is higher than that of gasoline. A small spark or a lit cigarette may not ignite it as easy as it would gas but it is highly flammable and once it does ignite, it burns much hotter than gas
There’s a difference between flammable and combustible. The flashpoint is diesel is 100-204°F so is in the combustible category.

A4667CF8-10F3-4E33-9714-F96EA89C80B0.jpeg

I very rarely leave my diesel running at the pump or going into a store. About the only time I will leave it running is if I am back home and the temps are below 32F or I am in AZ with people in the cab and temps above 90F.

Not to be a tool but diesel absolutely is combustible. We use, well we used to use, diesel on our left over straw bale stacks to burn it down to ash more completely. While we didn't use a match to ignite it, we used a small handheld torch, it would ignite quite well and produces a very nice fire.

There’s a difference between flammable and combustible. The flashpoint is diesel is 100-204°F so is in the combustible category.

View attachment 34768

Stop being logical, mouth breathers will always think they know more then they do & have no idea what flashpoint is or that it’s the vapors/fumes off gassing from the liquid that is the real threat

If you actually take the time to look, 1, it’sA federal law to shut off ALL engines when fueling and 2, yes the semis turn them off when fueling
Of the hundreds of semis I saw over my 3k mile trip I’d say less than 1 out of 10 shuts off while fueling.

If you actually take the time to look, 1, it’sA federal law to shut off ALL engines when fueling and 2, yes the semis turn them off when fueling
Hmm, well because it is a Federal Law, engines in semis are self aware and they know the law then I'd expect they all shut themselves off.

However, here in the real world lots of drivers do not shut their semis off when fueling.

To answer the op’s question it depends. If I’m just filling and leaving I’ll leave it on. If I’m at a truck stop it stays on. If I have passenger it stays on. If I’m running in and have no passengers I’ll probably shut it off. I high idle when I do leave it running.

Of the hundreds of semis I saw over my 3k mile trip I’d say less than 1 out of 10 shuts off while fueling.

So you are saying you always filled up at the semi pumps & not at the auto/truck pumps and aways walked down the line checking each and every semi to see if it was running or if it’s refer unit or other auxiliary unit was running

So you are saying you always filled up at the semi pumps & not at the auto/truck pumps and aways walked down the line checking each and every semi to see if it was running or if it’s refer unit or other auxiliary unit was running
Yes

Edit:
I would always going in to use the restroom and/or get something to eat or drink after pulling up from the pump and had to walk past all of them. Even got a couple guy give me compliments on the truck.

Hmm, well because it is a Federal Law, engines in semis are self aware and they know the law then I'd expect they all shut themselves off.

However, here in the real world lots of drivers do not shut their semis off when fueling.

And you have more Russian and other non English speaking semi drivers than English speaking drivers and they do what they want

Back