Disable puddle light?

funnyman3000

Snowflake
Reaction Points
Military
US Army
Current Ride
2021 F250
Is there a way to switch off exterior lights from turning on upon exiting for a stealth departure? I really like the button by the AUX switches that disables interior lights from turning on when doors are opened.

Forscan has lighting options, you would need to research the codes.

Would police mode work?
I think police mode is a feature that will not allow your truck to be put in gear when running and you leave the vehicle with the key FOB ( police idle ) unless Police Mode is another mode for exterior lighting. There is so much you can do with forscan.

I think police mode is a feature that will not allow your truck to be put in gear when running and you leave the vehicle with the key FOB ( police idle ) unless Police Mode is another mode for exterior lighting. There is so much you can do with forscan.
I do not have this feature enabled and my truck already has this feature ... I disable the honk and always leave the diesel run when only going to be away for a few secs... Or mins

But I thought police mode was a lighting feature or something... Like it a blackout mode ... Like on military vehicles

I do not have this feature enabled and my truck already has this feature ... I disable the honk and always leave the diesel run when only going to be away for a few secs... Or mins

But I thought police mode was a lighting feature or something... Like it a blackout mode ... Like on military vehicles
There could be a mode for the lights too. You should enable the Police Idle mode. so you could keep it running and leave the vehicle

My first forscan was the disable the honks, then bambi mode.

There could be a mode for the lights too. You should enable the Police Idle mode. so you could keep it running and leave the vehicle

My first forscan was the disable the honks, then bambi mode.
Yea I like just leaving it running and just let it idle ... Doesn't hurt anything... And it stays hot... So it not cooling off and heating back up ... But it i know I am going to be away for more then 5 mins then I will shut it off... But also in some states like Maryland and kansas you aren't allowed to let your vehicle idle ... Unless it is remotes started.... But the way the law is written your not allowed to leave your keys in a running car ... If you take it with you ... Technically doesn't count

Just verified a running truck will not allow you to shift without the key present, so that’s not likely police mode (Unless that’s a feature that was added for 2021). Police mode on old Crown Victorias was no interior lights upon door opening, but that’s covered by the switch above the console, so that doesn’t make sense. It could be the addition of no outside lights? Interesting that no one has experimented with it yet.

Just verified a running truck will not allow you to shift without the key present, so that’s not likely police mode (Unless that’s a feature that was added for 2021). Police mode on old Crown Victorias was no interior lights upon door opening, but that’s covered by the switch above the console, so that doesn’t make sense. It could be the addition of no outside lights? Interesting that no one has experimented with it yet.
Mine does the same can't shift with no key ... Also the police mode allows for vehicle to run with not lights in or out and have it toggle on a switch

Maybe police mode shuts off tail lights while in park, for sneakiness

Mine does the same can't shift with no key ... Also the police mode allows for vehicle to run with not lights in or out and have it toggle on a switch
Nice! That’s exactly what I’m looking for. What switch does it toggle from? I’ll be doing ForScan next month.

Nice! That’s exactly what I’m looking for. What switch does it toggle from? I’ll be doing ForScan next month.
Idk... It refers to switches in the police vehicle so it setup from factory as a police truck

Very old thread, ancient!

But the question has never been answered, can one disable puddle lights?

Not that I am aware of outside of using Forscan ("Dark Car"), and not just the puddle lights. I wish there was a way to have it on a switch, like with the interior lighting, that would turn off all exterior courtesy lighting.

The puddle lamps are easy to remove and replace, so if they are the only exterior lights that you want to kill, you could probably disconnect them.

There are some aftermarket wiring options out there but they are seriously inconvenient because the puddles are controlled by the door module, which means you can only bypass it by pulling apart the doors.

I have mine configured in police stealth mode to prevent the Christmas tree effect whenever the vehicle is unlocked or a door is opened. After a lot of experimentation I was able to configure it to only light the puddles when unlocking using the fob, and the puddles are completely disabled when the mirrors are folded. The puddles also turn off as soon as one of the front doors are opened. I can then press the start button to turn on the Christmas tree or the dome light (bit of a reach, though). If there was a way to keep the auto dome light working in stealth mode, that would be perfect, but there doesn’t appear to be.

Anyway this lengthy reply is meant to say you can effectively disable your puddles while the mirrors are folded using FORScan, if that us enough for you.

Last edited:
Back