DEF tank on 7.3?

Echo Sierra

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Military
Army (Navy Dad)
Current Ride
'22 Tremor 7.3
I was under my 2022 7.3 Tremor the other day and it looks to me as though I have a DEF tank. There is a line running from the blank DEF fill to a tank sitting right behind the fuel tank.

Am I wrong? Is it something else? Attached are pictures starting at the fuel/DEF fill compartment following the line to something.

Thanks in advance for any clarification!

Attachments

• IMG_1226.jpeg
    IMG_1226.jpeg
    373.2 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1227.jpeg
    IMG_1227.jpeg
    258.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1228.jpeg
    IMG_1228.jpeg
    201.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1229.jpeg
    IMG_1229.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1230.jpeg
    IMG_1230.jpeg
    275.3 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1232.jpeg
    IMG_1232.jpeg
    254.1 KB · Views: 103
That appears to be the EVAP system - dealing with the evaporation of gasoline. That's interesting, I didn't know they used what would be the DEF fill, perhaps this is part of the effort to increase the trucks water fording capabilities? Normally this would just be under the vehicle somewhere around the gas tank/charcoal canister.

(note: sarcasm font) That is there in case you decide to change to an oil burner. LOL
(I will now have to go look at mine to see if I have a hose connected to the back side of the blanked off fill cap)
Edit: Fark. Mine looks the same.

Last edited:
That appears to be the EVAP system - dealing with the evaporation of gasoline. That's interesting, I didn't know they used what would be the DEF fill, perhaps this is part of the effort to increase the trucks water fording capabilities? Normally this would just be under the vehicle somewhere around the gas tank/charcoal canister.
That is a good thought. But there is no connection between the stuff I'm looking at and the fuel tank or filler hose.

I'm hoping it is unnecessary so I can remove it and fit a gray water tank for my FWC Hawk camper.

I'm hoping it is unnecessary so I can remove it and fit a gray water tank for my FWC Hawk camper.
Oh it's probably unnecessary, but the truck probably won't run without it.

That is a good thought. But there is no connection between the stuff I'm looking at and the fuel tank or filler hose.
I suggest you take a closer look.
That is the vent for the EVAP fuel vaper charcoal filter canister.
The red tube is the one that connects to the fuel hose support bracket.
The purple hose connects to the high point of the fuel tank. These hoses are most assuredly required.
BTW, this is the system that will be damaged if you like to top off your fuel tank to the max. If liquid fuel expands as it does when it gets warm outside, the liquid fuel can enter into the canister and the charcoal inside will become saturated with fuel and rendered useless.

1697245243028.png

Attachments

• 1697242633705.png
    1697242633705.png
    73.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I suggest you take a closer look.
That is the vent for the EVAP fuel vaper charcoal filter canister.
The red tube is the one that connects to the fuel hose support bracket.
The purple hose connects to the high point of the fuel tank. These hoses are most assuredly required.
BTW, this is the system that will be damaged if you like to top off your fuel tank to the max. If liquid fuel expands as it does when it gets warm outside, the liquid fuel can enter into the canister and the charcoal inside will become saturated with fuel and rendered useless.

View attachment 132648
Wow!! Thank you for such a thorough reply. I'm definitely not removing that. I guess diesels don't require the same evap capture so what is a fill point for DEF on an oil burner is a vent on gas trucks. The complexity of modern vehicles is truly amazing. This part lists for $769 and has multiple wires and sensors!! No wonder new vehicles are so expensive. Thanks again!

Back