Carli question

The most I tow is a single car/truck trailer and so far am content. If I towed more I would run a pair of bags.
Talk to CJC again. Cody recommended I get the TIMBRENs vice the AirBags to compensate. My appointment with them for the 2.5 PIN top (all options) is DEC 2021. I mainly off-road camp (Modern term is guess is OVERLANDING), but I plan on also adding the Xplore X22 trailer since black Series has gone cheap on their redesign for late 2021. Of Note: I have the 6.7 and not the 7.3. I was also told by them I have to keep a winch/bumper upgrade to about 250lbs with the 6.7, so I guess the ford version is all I am going with (I like the stock bumper anyhoo).

Has anyone installed a gas specific Carli set up on their 7.3 Tremor yet and if so what are your impressions? I am considering a Carli system however the only available setup right now is the Pintop (and basic leveling) which is not initially what I had wanted (Backcountry). But with the Backcounty/Commuter probably not going to be ready until early 2022 I am looking at either the Pintop or having Accutune build a shock and using all other Carli parts. CJC says the Pintop gas will probably not be that different than the Backcounty but I have a hard time believing that as they are different shocks and tuned differently.

By the way, Nick at Apollo Optics is great and has been a huge help!

Is there anyway you can wait for the Backcountry or commuter? The only reason I'm asking is because I've spoken to both CJC Offroad, a local installer recommended by Carli in NJ, and Carli themselves. The general answer I got from all of them was if you're not doing high speed off road, go with the backcountry. The pintop system will be better than the stock tremor but still will ride rough during a daily commute. FWIW, the person at Carli I spoke to asked me "do you ever plan on taking a truck airborne or running through rough dirt roads at 75mph?" As soon as I said no, he backed me off the Pintop and probably talked me out of the Backcountry unless I wanted shocks with a reservoir.

As someone else mentioned, wheels and tires as well as air pressures will also affect these so not everyone's experience will be the same. However, I fully believe that CJC pushes the Pintop system because 1) it's the most expensive option and 2) it's really made for what those guys are doing to their trucks in terms of being out in the desert and running the hills at 70mph.

Is there anyway you can wait for the Backcountry or commuter? The only reason I'm asking is because I've spoken to both CJC Offroad, a local installer recommended by Carli in NJ, and Carli themselves. The general answer I got from all of them was if you're not doing high speed off road, go with the backcountry. The pintop system will be better than the stock tremor but still will ride rough during a daily commute. FWIW, the person at Carli I spoke to asked me "do you ever plan on taking a truck airborne or running through rough dirt roads at 75mph?" As soon as I said no, he backed me off the Pintop and probably talked me out of the Backcountry unless I wanted shocks with a reservoir.

As someone else mentioned, wheels and tires as well as air pressures will also affect these so not everyone's experience will be the same. However, I fully believe that CJC pushes the Pintop system because 1) it's the most expensive option and 2) it's really made for what those guys are doing to their trucks in terms of being out in the desert and running the hills at 70mph.
Yeah I can wait, its just that I get impatient..lol But I agree with what you said, I will never be doing anything the pintop is designed for, so the back country will definitely suit my needs better. I am also considering going with the full carli set up minus the shocks and have Accutune (I have heard really good things about them) build me a Fox set as they will be in stock much sooner than Carli's.

I’m a 7.3 owner as well and have been scratching around at options. As stated above, I’m leaning towards Accutune for the shock build. My big question is, if I went with carli 4.5 or icon 4.5 springs which are both diesel specific progressive coils, how rough would the front end actually be? If it’s equal to stock that’d be fine. Plus I plan to do heavy ranch hand bumpers. Also, the carli 3” gas specific spring is a linear rate coil. Not sure they’d be all that spectacular anyway. The rear of my truck is the harshest so will do full progressive or add a pack.

Can you please let me know who CJC recommended in NJ? I’ve seen several references from Carli on their site, but was not able to narrow it down to one.

Can you please let me know who CJC recommended in NJ? I’ve seen several references from Carli on their site, but was not able to narrow it down to one.

Sure, there’s actually two that I was recommended. OK4WD and GennUSA Built Trucks. The one I spoke to was OK4WD.

When it comes down to it, I’ll probably choose the one closer to my house or the one who has the sooner appointment. However, FWIW, when I spoke to OK4WD, they said that they will not install parts that I bring them. So if you want a Carli set up from them, they will order it for you as well as wheels and tires.

Talk to CJC again. Cody recommended I get the TIMBRENs vice the AirBags to compensate. My appointment with them for the 2.5 PIN top (all options) is DEC 2021. I mainly off-road camp (Modern term is guess is OVERLANDING), but I plan on also adding the Xplore X22 trailer since black Series has gone cheap on their redesign for late 2021. Of Note: I have the 6.7 and not the 7.3. I was also told by them I have to keep a winch/bumper upgrade to about 250lbs with the 6.7, so I guess the ford version is all I am going with (I like the stock bumper anyhoo).
The reason I did not go with the Timbrens is their lack of flexibility and poor ride quality. Sure, they are lot cheaper, but the ride is rough. I also carry different amounts of gear (hundreds of lbs different) in my TT and bed based on how long we are planning to camp. I wanted the ability to adjust my rear height and passenger comfort to accommodate the varied tongue and bed weight, so the airbags are perfect for my situation. On longer trips with more gear, I simply add more air and can adjust them on the fly when driving, if road conditions change.

After many trips, include a 2.5 week, 4200+ mile round trip to Yellowstone, I can say the Airlift airbags are well worth the money for towing stability and passenger happiness.

05930082-64B5-4836-BCA3-7ABDE6C97166.jpeg

This is the response from Icon about running their kit on a 7.3L.

Looks like the original question is still not answered after 2 pages. What is the ride difference between the carli (private label) leveling kit vs the fox commuter?

Looks like the original question is still not answered after 2 pages. What is the ride difference between the carli (private label) leveling kit vs the fox commuter?
That wasn’t the question but we’ll go with it. I haven’t driven one with the Carli leveling shocks but I would think based on their own literature that it’s basically a Bilstien 5100 built out of higher grade material. Kind of generic if you will. There’s some CJC YouTube videos out there with them and it appears they ride nice. I just installed the commuter on mine and on road it’s a huge improvement over stock. Shocks however are only a small piece of the ride comfort puzzle.

That wasn’t the question but we’ll go with it. I haven’t driven one with the Carli leveling shocks but I would think based on their own literature that it’s basically a Bilstien 5100 built out of higher grade material. Kind of generic if you will. There’s some CJC YouTube videos out there with them and it appears they ride nice. I just installed the commuter on mine and on road it’s a huge improvement over stock. Shocks however are only a small piece of the ride comfort puzzle.
Thank you. How did you get the gas commuter? That's the one I want but it's months away.

Thank you. How did you get the gas commuter? That's the one I want but it's months away.
I went with the 3.5 diesel commuter kit on my gasser. I optioned it with sway bar end links, full progressive leaf springs and Firestone air bags.

Carli Commuter 3.5 Diesel on a 7.3L measurements​

This is a thread I started yesterday on it.

You may have seen this already but, if not, it might be helpful in deciding if you’d need bags with the full replacement springs.

air bags will not increase your load carrying capability. its just to level your truck under load. Supersprings do the same...i've run dose before on a dually....they work great .

air bags will not increase your load carrying capability. its just to level your truck under load. Supersprings do the same...i've run dose before on a dually....they work great .
You’re correct. Side note…your profile pic makes my back hurt.

I can tell you now that what they said about pintop with road manners is true. Versus stock tremor suspension, i feel every little bump in the road, i’m feeling little bumps on my road home now i didn’t even know existed and when i get into my SUV with 20 inch wheels and almost no rubber i dont notice those same bumps i now notice woth my 18s and 37s at a mere 40 PSI. I should have listened and went for the commuter kit:) but those pintops sure do look nice, and maybe one day ill make it to baja to appreciate what they were really designed for.

Back