Carli Diesel coils on gas truck

kylant

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
anyone know the carli coil rating vs the stock gas coil rating. i know the carli coils are softer for each application, but i am wondering if the Carli diesel coils are still stiffer, the same, or softer than the stock gas coils. for those who have used Carli diesel coils on your gas truck, can you post results?
amount of lift
ride comfort
issues

i am undecided how I want to do my next build, thanks for any info

There's a post floating around somewhere where this is discussed. The diesel rate is higher although I don't recall if numbers were mentioned.

It was suggested that you run an aftermarket front bumper and possibly a winch to help offset the weight difference between the two motors in an effort to soften the diesel spring on a gas truck.

Curious about this as well. I assumed Carli also made springs designed for the gas versions weight. I remember seeing a video where the TFLoffroad guys took their F250 7.3 to Carli for suspension but don't remember what springs were installed. I know it was setup for their truck camper so maybe that offset the weight difference?

User @1FORDy3rd has this setup on his truck, maybe he will chime in, seems to speak positively of it in other threads where this has been discussed. Heavy bumper isnt required on the level height springs since the slightly higher ride height is still within the adjustment spec for the track bar and steering linkage, you only run into issues needing the extra weight if you want to run the 4.5/5.5 diesel kit on your gasser.

My guess is that it'd be similar to spec'ing your truck with the heavy service front suspension which selects the 5200lbs coils on a gasser, but probably ride better since you get the added travel of their coils and better shocks. My first F250 (also a gasser) had that package. I put a Ranch Hand legend bumper on that truck (~280lbs extra weight) which definitely softened the front end. My personal/subjective feeling was that the rear swaybar that came with the camper package on that truck had a bigger impact on ride/compliance than the front springs (not really relevant to your situation though) as the front end ride was comparable stock to stock with my more recent 2021 that had no camper package and the base 4800lbs coils.

My 2024 order is spec'd with the heavy service package but my plan is to swap a pair of 5200lbs diesel Tremor springs onto that both for a little additional ride height and so that the door sticker would match for the front axle, instead of going with a full suspension setup like my 2021 has. If I decide to do Carli on this one, I'd probably do the diesel kit.

i would like to do the gas kit with rear leafs and be done with it. however, it appears the rear leafs will leave the truck approx 1.5" rear high rake. I would like a bit less than that. the gas coils supposedly only give the tremor 1" front height. wish they gave a bit more like the diesel version.
hence the thought of going diesel coils. i don't want a big sacrifice on ride quality. that's why i was asking about rating of carli coils vs stock.
i have read and had conversations about doing a heavier front bumper and winch, but at this time, i don't want to do that.

I don't recall you referencing which carli kit you're interested in, but I have the backcountry on my 7.3 and the rake is hardly noticeable. If it's an inch I'd be surprised.

I don't recall you referencing which carli kit you're interested in, but I have the backcountry on my 7.3 and the rake is hardly noticeable. If it's an inch I'd be surprised.
probably backcountry with full leafs

probably backcountry with full leafs
I did backcountry with the full progressive spring pack, front sway bar, and rear shackles.

I just measured, dead nuts on 1" rake. I do have a LEER camper shell though.

i would like to do the gas kit with rear leafs and be done with it. however, it appears the rear leafs will leave the truck approx 1.5" rear high rake. I would like a bit less than that. the gas coils supposedly only give the tremor 1" front height. wish they gave a bit more like the diesel version.
hence the thought of going diesel coils. i don't want a big sacrifice on ride quality. that's why i was asking about rating of carli coils vs stock.
i have read and had conversations about doing a heavier front bumper and winch, but at this time, i don't want to do that.
The gas coils give significantly more than 1”. I got just over 2 1/4” after it settled, and that’s with a heavy aftermarket bumper. Also rake is almost non existent with gas coils and stock rear springs.

Back Country kit with Deaver rear springs
IMG_2016.jpeg

I just did a spring swap. I used Tremor diesel LAT springs in place of the non Tremor gasser LAN springs. The Tremor springs were 1-1/4” longer than the non Tremor. They were also a bit thicker. They gave me just about 1-3/8” front lift. The diesel springs made the ride a little stiffer but that doesn’t bother me. I ve got some Bilstiens out in the shop to swap this weekend. Not really what you were asking but I figured I’d throw out my data anyway.

anyone know the carli coil rating vs the stock gas coil rating. i know the carli coils are softer for each application, but i am wondering if the Carli diesel coils are still stiffer, the same, or softer than the stock gas coils. for those who have used Carli diesel coils on your gas truck, can you post results?
amount of lift
ride comfort
issues

i am undecided how I want to do my next build, thanks for any info
Yes! I have the diesel commuter kit on my gas truck. Shocks and all with deaver leafs and Firestone airbags. My front end came up 2 5/8” and rear 0.5”. It rides great! It is a little out of sync front to rear due to the commuter shocks on the rear with the deavers. Carli does not recommend this setup on the rear but I wanted to try. It’s not bad enough to run out and get different shocks but will upgrade when they’re ready to be replaced.

Yes! I have the diesel commuter kit on my gas truck. Shocks and all with deaver leafs and Firestone airbags. My front end came up 2 5/8” and rear 0.5”. It rides great! It is a little out of sync front to rear due to the commuter shocks on the rear with the deavers. Carli does not recommend this setup on the rear but I wanted to try. It’s not bad enough to run out and get different shocks but will upgrade when they’re ready to be replaced.
i'm guessing you have the "old" Fox commuter shocks? Carli's new commuter shocks work with the leafs.
did you do gas or diesel shocks with the diesel coils?

Last edited:
i'm guessing you have the "old"m Fox commuter shocks? Carli's new commuter shocks work with the leafs.
did you do gas or diesel shocks with the diesel coils?
Mine are the old Fox line. Yes, it has diesel shocks. The guys at Texas Motorworx had it in stock and I trusted their judgment with their history in desert race world. When it’s time to upgrade I’ll likely go with the fox performance elite series custom tuned from Accutune.

Mine are the old Fox line. Yes, it has diesel shocks. The guys at Texas Motorworx had it in stock and I trusted their judgment with their history in desert race world. When it’s time to upgrade I’ll likely go with the fox performance elite series custom tuned from Accutune.
can you comment on the ride of the carli diesel coils to the stock gas? I know carli states their coils are softer than the stock.
so plain stock diesel coils are rated 5200 lbs, stock gas are 4800 lbs
i imagine the carli diesel coils are in the middle, maybe 5000, and their gas ones are slightly below 🤷🏻‍♂️

can you comment on the ride of the carli diesel coils to the stock gas? I know carli states their coils are softer than the stock.
so plain stock diesel coils are rated 5200 lbs, stock gas are 4800 lbs
i imagine the carli diesel coils are in the middle, maybe 5000, and their gas ones are slightly below 🤷🏻‍♂️
They feel softer than the original tremor springs. Where I immediately noticed the difference was on uneven expansion joints. Stock front and rear felt very harsh/sharp and that has been mitigated. To be clear, it still feels stiffer and than my old stock F150 fx4.

Back