Camping and portable power stations

I have a honda gen, its not enough. i was thinking about a solar package
the Honda gen is very portable and its quiet, runs for hours a very little gas.
Just need more power.

Personally I prefer an installed solar system. Our needs are modest but I can run everything I want to other than air conditioning and I can go indefinitely. Usually don't even take my generator.

The jackery and yeti IMO are crazy expensive for what they are.

I have found both a portable Honda generator and solar are a good combination. Size the generator for your max usage ( I.e. ac conditioner). The solar keeps the battery charge during the day when your off doing something else.

2C1C47C9-E37E-4026-92DA-A158E6891386.png
The guy next to us had this one and it ran everything plus it’s got remote start and it wasn’t very loud we have a built-in 4000 Onan but I wouldn’t mind one of these for back up Cummins makes one like this to little more money

When boondocking we use 2 - 3500w Generac (inverters). We run them in parallel. They are able to run everything to include our 2 air conditioners. They are VERY quiet. We also have solar on top for the cooler days. I have found that the definition of “boondocking” is different at age 60 than at age 40!

Same as Hedge for me. I installed 340 watts of solar on the roof, charge controller, and extra battery. Can't run the microwave or A/C but can go forever on the solar.

Exactimundo. 340 watts here - only need the genny for popcorn and AC and I only have two 6V batts!

I have a Jackery 1000 that I use on our property. I like it because its easy to move around and I have a lot of charging options. It ends up riding around in my side by side a lot for small power needs. Most of its use is to run a water pump for watering my fruit trees. It hasn't replaced my gas generator for bigger tasks.

Dual Westinghouse igen4500 in parallel is my power these days. I can run one of my ACs and everything else on one.. I can both in parallel if I want to use the 2nd AC. Spent a week in my RV 2 weeks ago and ran one at a time which then meant I only had to put gas in them every 27+ hours.

I'm in Florida, we need air-conditioning.

For my RTT setup, 2 x 100ah SLA batteries, 100W solar panel, VSR + external mains charging port.

It's enough for me to run a fridge, lights and coffee machine for 48hrs without any one of the three forms of charging...

4 pack of 6v golf cart batteries
100w panel on the trailer for trickle charging
300-400w worth of mobile panels in case of tree cover
Westinghouse iGen4500df dual fuel inverter generator - One of the biggest CARB approved dual fuel inverters with a remote.

Really, really hate the recent trend of 12v only refrigerators in RVs. Losing the option to run it on propane makes for expensive battery capacity and generation problems that don't make up for the cheaper fridge.

For those of you who go off grid camping what’s the best portable power station? Looking at the Jackery, but there are a few other available options..
You need to figure out your power needs first-
Check out unboundsolar.com ....pretty sure they can help you put a cohesive system together- they also have a great support team

Anyone running/depending on just solar to keep them powered may want to reconsider. Here in Colorado we get around 300 days of sunshine a year. However, cloud cover, snow, shade, storms etc. and high power needs like running a furnace continuously because of cold temperatures will drain even the best setups in a few days. The furnace burns propane but the fan and everything else draws electrical power. I’ve had solar on my last 2 campers and it’s awesome but there are limitations.

I use the Honda eu2000. I have two of them and run them with the converter kit to make 4000 watts. It works great they are easy to move and transport if I’m camping where I don’t need the ac I only take one if I’m camping where it’s hot I take them both.

I picked this up today. Like I said in my previous post solar has its limitations. I also came to the realization that I want to be able to use everything on my brand new travel trailer!

Attachments

• 2FD0062F-5084-4234-855E-6E137BBFA741.png
    2FD0062F-5084-4234-855E-6E137BBFA741.png
    629.8 KB · Views: 28

Latest Discussions

Back