Best tires for stock wheels

RangerR47

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Are the Duratracs the best tire that can be put on the stock wheels? I just thinking about when these wear out, what tires I would want to consider to replace them with. Most the tires I wanted to research are not available in the stock size or will not fit on the stock wheels.

So if you were going to stay with the stock wheels , what tires would you get? If it matters im in N. Texas and go into Oklahoma quite a bit for what kind of terrain I frequent. I also will pull a 30ft 7k travel trailer a few times a year.

Honestly this topic has been covered over and over on the forum. Without everyone restating their opinions and experiences you could do a tire/stock wheel search on the forum and then read until you find an answer or fall asleep. Truly you are going to find many choices and everyone has a different opinion on the topic.

Are the Duratracs the best tire that can be put on the stock wheels? I just thinking about when these wear out, what tires I would want to consider to replace them with. Most the tires I wanted to research are not available in the stock size or will not fit on the stock wheels.

So if you were going to stay with the stock wheels , what tires would you get? If it matters im in N. Texas and go into Oklahoma quite a bit for what kind of terrain I frequent. I also will pull a 30ft 7k travel trailer a few times a year.

I would look into these tires: Toyo AT3, BFG KO2, Falken Wildpeak, Nitto Ridge/Recon.

I would also consider the Cooper AT3 XLT - Good all terrain tire built for towing.

There is some good discussion in these threads:

Last edited:
I just ordered Toyo AT III’s today based on info from these forums, I wanted a direct replacement for the new and less than good duratracs…members here educaged me on the loss of the 3 peak certification….it’s actually a requirement of my insurance coverage to get a discount up north here in Canada to run certified tires. I would have never known Goodyear stopped making them if it wasn’t for guys on this site, the new ones are junk in the snow apparently and that’s five Months of my driving year. I actually love the oem tremor wheels. I didnt want to fk around with offsets or going to 20’s…I like the bigger rubber for a smoother ride. Just search LT285/75R18 sizes. I think if you want to go to a 12.5” wide, your hopped and have to go to 20’s to safely accommodate the wider tires. Mickey thomason baha boss makes a direct fit and nitto terra trapper g2 may be other options for you. If you’re not in the snow and ice, you have more choices than most of us, good luck!

IMO the Duratracs are up there among the top, they look great, have great load capacity and a lot of people swear by then for all season performance. It's a shame the '22 doesn't have the snow rating they had previously.

A lot of people do seem to find they wander a bit for the first 500 miles until they break in - something to be aware of.

I actually dont have any issues with them, mine didnt even really need a break in period. I was just talking about after they wear out just having some options and not have to put on Duratracs again if I didnt want to.

Everyone complained on how soft the Duratracs were on the early Tremors, This is one of the reasons they changed the tire, they went with a harder compound , so of coarse now some folks will complain that they are no longer snowflake rated. But they are no longer so soft either so if people dont need snowflakes, they actually like the tires now. Being in Texas I dont need the rating.

I just wish the stock wheels were a tad wider to be able to use the 35 12.5 tires, opens up alot more choices. But right now IM not willling to get new wheels, for now anyways

Thanks for the list of tires in that size, I will check those out and see if any jump out at me as worth giving a shot when the time comes.

Was in a Canadian Tire store the other day and saw Duratracs with the 3peaks I didn't ask if it was old stock so maybe some are still around? Or maybe they make both.

I believe they make both, its just some sizes that dont have the snowflake rating

Will 305/70/18 tires fit with no issues on stock wheels? 295 and 305 open up more choices like the Baja Boss and St Maxx both of which I would like to consider.

Reactions: ccw
I’m going for 37” Toyo AT3s on stock rims when Carli releases the trophy hitch.

I believe they make both, its just some sizes that dont have the snowflake rating

Will 305/70/18 tires fit with no issues on stock wheels? 295 and 305 open up more choices like the Baja Boss and St Maxx both of which I would like to consider.
They'll fit on the wheels fine. Issue is if they will rub.

Back