Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Military
No
Current Ride
2020 Ford F250 7.3
First Responder
No
Just got my 70k oil sample back. 16ppm of lead in the sample "shows bearing wear". Samples at 40K, 20K and 10K showed 0 or 1ppm. I did not sample at 50k or 60k. Running Schaeffer's 5w30 and changing at 10k miles. Should I be worried or just resample in 1000 miles?

I’m no genius. But how would one get lead out of a bearing or bearing race? I’m not sure where lead would come from on the internals of a engine

Some baseline questions...
  1. Is this Blackstone?
  2. Did you take the sample yourself?
  3. Is the bearing wear comment theirs? What else did they say in the comments?
Regardless of the answers I would send in another sample (that you take) to see if the results are consistent.

Some baseline questions...
  1. Is this Blackstone?
  2. Did you take the sample yourself?
  3. Is the bearing wear comment theirs? What else did they say in the comments?
Regardless of the answers I would send in another sample (that you take) to see if the results are consistent.
Altorfer CAT oil sample. We use them on the farm so I took the sample but I familiar with how to take them. "Lead is high. High or increase lead (PB) shows bearing wear. Resample in 100hrs."

I’m no genius. But how would one get lead out of a bearing or bearing race? I’m not sure where lead would come from on the internals of a engine
Years ago they used to use what was called babbit bearings on model T's. Lead was poured into the connecting rod cap to form a bearing surface before insert bearings were developed.

Did you start using a fuel treatment after 40k?

Did you use any all?

Excuse the dumb question, but does fuel treatment cause oil to dilute and bearings to go bad? I'm asking out of curiosity

Excuse the dumb question, but does fuel treatment cause oil to dilute and bearings to go bad? I'm asking out of curiosity
I was thinking the same thing. Only thing I can come up with is maybe a fuel additive could be leaded?

Back