Founding Member
Reaction Points
Military
USAF
Current Ride
2023 F-250 Tremor
Current Ride #2
2023 Wrangler 392 SRT
Fixing to install a set of AMP Steps on a 2023, anyone have any tips about the wiring?
Is it the same as the 2022's?
Has anyone used the AMP Pass Through Harness?
Thanks in advance.

I have zero tips other than I had them done through a shop. I have had them for 2 months and 5,000 miles. So far I havent had any issues.

I installed on my 23. The instructions from AMP are good. Short side of harness goes to the passenger side. I routed the wiring first, then mounted the power steps. The pulled up and zip tied the wiring harness. Pretty simple. Just make sure you use the front bracket mounting points,

Thanks for the reply but as far as the wiring, I meant under the dash, any tips there?

I mounted them on my 22. The under dash wiring was the easy part. Instructions were accurate and easy to follow. I did use the pass through OBD port wiring harness.

I would give the rest of the instructions (the mechanical part) a C+. Not great. The kit and parts are surprisingly not fully baked for something that has been around 10+ years. As an example, the logo sticker on the steps is in the back on the driver’s side and the front on the passenger side. It makes the instructions confusing and it looks sloppy. Like they just don’t care.

Steps work well. Happy with their function.

The wires you tap into are plugged into a module that is easy to get out, then get the cover off the wiring harness.
I used a seam ripper to remove the wiring cover..
Make sure you have a good silicone to seal the body plug you must pop a hole in for the wires to pass through.

On the 23’s, is it:
white to green w/blue stripe
Blue to white w/green stripe like the instructions say.
?????
I’ve hooked it up this way but It’s not working that way for some reason

The instructions are accurate. Did you connect the purple wires also attach the power/ground wires? Also install the fuse?

Well then I have a messed up kit cuz these deploy internally. I’ll buy another kit and try it again. Something is messed with this one plus I could tell the box had been opened before.
Thanks for the help.

Did you get em working? I thought it was blue and blue/white on the CAN Module. I felt like they were a pain in the butt for $2300 dollars. I thought for sure it would be plug and play since they are what ford uses. I mean I do love em... LOL But still feel they're very pricey for a running board. My 22 I ordered them on the truck but the 23 I bought off the lot.

Well after talking with AMP Research support, I think they found my issue. By the way, super nice people and after I explained the issue, he knew right where to go, the OBO-II plug, so I gave him the p/n of the plug I have, and he told me the p/n of the one I am supposed to have. They were different. The OBO-II plug-n-play plug I had in the kit was for a 2020 to 2021 Superduty. Now their sending out the correct plug and I'll let you all know soon if that was the culprit.

Well with the help of AMP Reasearch's, the issue I was having is solved. I had ordered the correct p/n for the step kit but had a 2020-2021 OBO-II plug "p/n 19-04687-90" when the correct OBO-II plug should have been for the 2022-2023 Superduty plug "p/n 19-04785-9". After receiving the correct plug from AMP, everything works great now.

was looking at the instructions.
with the plug and play obd port connector, do the factory wires even need to be tapped?

was looking at the instructions.
with the plug and play obd port connector, do the factory wires even need to be tapped?
Yes , you have to read the directions. I made the mistake of just looking at the wiring diagram. I don't understand why it can't do it all from the OBD port. To me that's not plug n play. The ones you have to tap tell the boards when to go down.

I just installed some steps on my 24 Lariat Tremor and they don’t work. Instructions talk about a module next to your emergency brake pedal. Well these don’t have a pedal. There is a module that I’m assuming is the right one that I can unplug the harness and gain access to the wiring. Although it appears to have two of the same color combination of wiring your supposed to tap into. Going to have to wait until Monday now and call Amp tech line.

Attachments

• IMG_0949.png
    IMG_0949.png
    611.2 KB · Views: 22
I just installed some steps on my 24 Lariat Tremor and they don’t work. Instructions talk about a module next to your emergency brake pedal. Well these don’t have a pedal. There is a module that I’m assuming is the right one that I can unplug the harness and gain access to the wiring. Although it appears to have two of the same color combination of wiring your supposed to tap into. Going to have to wait until Monday now and call Amp tech line.
You bolted the steps on without doing the rest of the installation steps and they don’t work? Weird.

Not even sure what you even mean by that response.

the directions are super confusing. it talks about reinstalling obd port, but doesn't ever mention removing it.
i thought with the obd port adapter, all that was needed was to wire it to the harness and plug it in...

It’s the black box located where the pedal would be. It disconnects from the bracket easy and you tap the two wires into it and to the OBD plug. Very simple and straight forward.

Back