Aftermarket LED Headlights?

JC_Tremor

"Tlacuache"
Current Ride
Focus ST
Anybody just swap out the halogen bulbs for LED Lamps? What all was involved?
Seems most people go this way as it is easiest and cheapest but it is illegal. I will not be going that route as I know how much it can blind people, oncoming traffic as well. It's a huge hindrance for people and can be dangerous. There are videos of people doing this online though, youtube, if you are curious, just search.

Legal and cheap options seem few and far between

Grabber

I swapped out the Halogen bulbs in my '15 Super Duty and '18 E350 work truck to LED bulbs (DOT Legal). They are plug and play and work excellent. The only downside was I had to remove the headlight assemblies to change out the bulbs on both trucks. which requires the front grill and radiator cover to be removed. My new Tremor has factory LED lights, however I looked under the hood of my truck and it appears you will need to remove both to get to the headlight assembly bolts for access to the bulbs. Unless you truly do not like the factory assemblies this would be the route I would take.

OP
richtor

richtor

Current Ride
TRD OR Tacoma
I swapped out the Halogen bulbs in my '15 Super Duty and '18 E350 work truck to LED bulbs (DOT Legal). They are plug and play and work excellent. The only downside was I had to remove the headlight assemblies to change out the bulbs on both trucks. which requires the front grill and radiator cover to be removed. My new Tremor has factory LED lights, however I looked under the hood of my truck and it appears you will need to remove both to get to the headlight assembly bolts for access to the bulbs. Unless you truly do not like the factory assemblies this would be the route I would take.
To keep it street or road legal I just have to use dot legal led lights when I swap?

Is there any wiring changes I need to make as led uses a lot less energy?
Thanks

Grabber

No wiring changes, direct plug in play, no issues in my '15 super duty and '18 E350. I will look up the brand name I used and get back to you.

Grabber

I apologized for my delayed response. In my '15 F250 I used Putco (5+ years) and in my '18 E350 (1.5 years) I have Heise. Neither bulb have given me an issue of any kind.
It should be noted that if you truck has day time running lights you will need to turn the feature off. LED bulbs will not work with this feature, because daytime running lights sends lower power to the headlight bulbs, which will cause the LED lights to malfunction. If you can not turn them off through your truck settings, then you will need to go to dealer or forscan to turn daytime running lights off. I had to do this to my '18 E350.

OP
richtor

richtor

Current Ride
TRD OR Tacoma
I apologized for my delayed response. In my '15 F250 I used Putco (5+ years) and in my '18 E350 (1.5 years) I have Heise. Neither bulb have given me an issue of any kind.
It should be noted that if you truck has day time running lights you will need to turn the feature off. LED bulbs will not work with this feature, because daytime running lights sends lower power to the headlight bulbs, which will cause the LED lights to malfunction. If you can not turn them off through your truck settings, then you will need to go to dealer or forscan to turn daytime running lights off. I had to do this to my '18 E350.
DRL need to be turned off or just not turned on? In my current truck I can turn drl off.

Putco or Hiese, what would you recommend or both are great?Any specific bulb or just verify it works with the 2020 250?
Thanks again for the info.

Grabber

DRL just need to be turned off. My E350 could only be turned off by the body module, which my dealer did for free. I have not had any problems with either bulbs, both are plug and play. If my memory serves me correct the Heise bulbs are a little cheaper.

As far as the bulb needed, all you need to do is to get the part number for the bulbs that are in your truck and get the same in an LED. The most time consuming part is actually installing the bulbs. Once you get access to the bulbs, the LED bulbs will then twist into the headlight assemblies just like the OEM bulbs.

I will post a picture of my E350 tonight with the headlights on, so you can see for yourself. Once you get the the LED bulbs you'll never go back.

Latest Discussions