A thread to share whiskies that are undiscovered or hidden gems

I would add Orphan Barrels Indigo’s Hour. If you find it at or near retail get it. It is easily the best Orphan Barrel Bourbon I have had.
I am also am a big fan of American Single Malts, such as Stranahans.
Also, consider anything from KaVaLan especially King Car Conductor
Is that a new one or an old one? Either way I haven’t seen it and I have quite a few Orpahn’s fable and folly is my run away favorite. Copper Tongue second.

Is that a new one or an old one? Either way I haven’t seen it and I have quite a few Orpahn’s fable and folly is my run away favorite. Copper Tongue second.
It is new. It was released about 3-4 weeks ago, I happened to stumble across two bottles at a local Total Wine and More. I only bought one bottle and the second was gone the next day.

It is new. It was released about 3-4 weeks ago, I happened to stumble across two bottles at a local Total Wine and More. I only bought one bottle and the second was gone the next day.
Ok that’s makes sense as to why i haven’t seen them yet. How much is this latest release? Gotta be creeping up on $200 a bottle now. Seems every one gets a little more expensive

Idk anything about high proof (or any other rum honestly) but as you said you can always blend it down….

As for high proof bourbons it’s definitely an acquired taste but you can always lower them back down! I have a buddy that is new to whisky who always lowers bottles down to the sub 90 level and he does it with limestone water (or Ice). I do think it’s important to use the right water, hence why he uses limestone water from KY to do it. In truth that’s all a distiller is doing anyway when they sell you a 100proof bottle, taking the barrel proof and adding water until it’s 100, so you can do it at home too providing your water is the same. I like the high proofs because they’re more flavorful and undiluted.
Agree... That's why I've found the sweet spot at around 115 - 120 proof... Just something that is 140+ seems like it would be so hot to be enjoyed neat.

I would add Orphan Barrels Indigo’s Hour. If you find it at or near retail get it. It is easily the best Orphan Barrel Bourbon I have had.
I am also am a big fan of American Single Malts, such as Stranahans.
Also, consider anything from KaVaLan especially King Car Conductor
I just picked up a bottle of the Indigo's hour a week ago. Haven't tried it yet and at the time there weren't really much in terms of reviews online. That's awesome that you're finding to be the best they've done so far since they've had a few really good releases. I'm exited to try my bottle now.

I've just gotten my first bottle of Stanahans... A sherry cask finished. Are there particular bottles from them thar you like the best?

Ok that’s makes sense as to why i haven’t seen them yet. How much is this latest release? Gotta be creeping up on $200 a bottle now. Seems every one gets a little more expensive
This release is averaging about $250 a bottle.

This release is averaging about $250 a bottle.
Hahaha holy fuck. Im not saying i won’t buy a bottle but WOW…. Back when this project started these bottles were $50 lol…. The times they are a changing. I think i paid well over $100 for the Copper Tongue, $150 for Fable and Folly, $175 for Castles Curse…. $250 is getting a little silly…

Two things: from the first pic, you drink and drive which is normal and in the second pic, what's the blue bottle on the left? Is that a super rare limited edition we should know about? 🤪

Yes, the blue top is a very super secret rare, hard to find, special edition, and very expensive limited edition full proof single barrel that I was also super lucky to get. 🥃🤪

1714890680993.jpeg

Yes, the blue top is a very super secret rare, hard to find, special edition, and very expensive limited edition full proof single barrel that I was also super lucky to get. 🥃🤪

View attachment 155037
I knew it! How much is that bottle? 😎

Hahaha holy fuck. Im not saying i won’t buy a bottle but WOW…. Back when this project started these bottles were $50 lol…. The times they are a changing. I think i paid well over $100 for the Copper Tongue, $150 for Fable and Folly, $175 for Castles Curse…. $250 is getting a little silly…
It is an 18 year old bourbon, so I can appreciate why the price point is so high. Hard to get that high in age without it getting over oaked. I agree though, inflation has hit whiskey hard and we're all suffering for it.

I just picked up a bottle of the Indigo's hour a week ago. Haven't tried it yet and at the time there weren't really much in terms of reviews online. That's awesome that you're finding to be the best they've done so far since they've had a few really good releases. I'm exited to try my bottle now.

I've just gotten my first bottle of Stanahans... A sherry cask finished. Are there particular bottles from them thar you like the best?
I like original stranahans best. I’ve tried diamond peak and single barrel but still like the original best. I’d love to try snowflake, but none makes it to Louisville and I think it is a stand in line overnight deal. Has anyone ever tried snowflake?

Back