A thread to share whiskies that are undiscovered or hidden gems

DTX2023Tremor

Tremor Addict
Founding Member
Trail Captain 🧭
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2023 F350 Platinum Tremor 7.3L (built 9/25)
As I mentioned in the Favorite whiskey thread, I'm at a point where I have or had in my collection most of the common bottle that people chase (or I'm working on getting my hands on them whenever they pop up at MSRP or not too much above). At this point, I'm looking to expand my horizons to find the distilleries or specific releases that are great that is off the beaten path.

What is a bottle or distillery that you really enjoy that is uncommon or one that you find most people either do not have or are aware of. This thread isn't for recommendations from large distillery operations.

Let's broaden our whiskey horizons! Slàinte Mhath

To kick off the thread, sharing my current collection in case anyone is looking for ideas.

I just ordered a couple of bottles from Spirits of French Lick: The Morning Glory and Lee W. Sinclair batches.

Also am waiting on a bottle from Two Souls Spirits - 6-Year Ohio Double Barreled Bourbon Whiskey Featuring Watershed Distillery.

Attachments

• current whiskey collection.pdf
    341 KB · Views: 52
Fun!!!!

If you download the OnlyDrams app you can share your collection with friends on there as well.

Don’t have a current list (anywhere but OnlyDrams) but maybe a pic from a few months back will do for now.
IMG_0865.jpeg

As for small distilleries McKenzie BiB from Finger Lakes Distillery is AMAZING. I saw it on a list of “Pappy Alternatives “ and while I wouldn’t say that’s true it is an excellent wheater that I really enjoy!!

I'm not a "true" whiskey drinker but I try!!
I have a friend that does his own distilling. Dude is pretty cool (Vet) who even has his own water source. While that might not seem important it truly is a VERY important aspect of making your own whiskey. To the point he can taste the difference. How good is his stuff?? Apparently there is some sort of tasting/buying that's done by the big distillers. Let's just say he has a great "side hustle" which pays him very well. Selling to Makers Mark I would suspect is not an easy task.
To which his "recipe" is used to make a special blend under the Makers Mark label. For the barrel he sold them, those bottles are sold as a special edition, not cheap to those who are offered the bottles.
IMG_1489.JPG

Some tasting offerings :

IMG_0866.JPG

I have a friend that does his own distilling. Dude is pretty cool (Vet) who even has his own water source. While that might not seem important it truly is a VERY important aspect of making your own whiskey. To the point he can taste the difference. How good is his stuff?? Apparently there is some sort of tasting/buying that's done by the big distillers. Let's just say he has a great "side hustle" which pays him very well. Selling to Makers Mark I would suspect is not an easy task.
To which his "recipe" is used to make a special blend under the Makers Mark label. For the barrel he sold them, those bottles are sold as a special edition, not cheap to those who are offered the bottles.
View attachment 154861
Some tasting offerings :

View attachment 154862
Two things: from the first pic, you drink and drive which is normal and in the second pic, what's the blue bottle on the left? Is that a super rare limited edition we should know about? 🤪

If you download the OnlyDrams app you can share your collection with friends on there as well.
So iPhone huh? Not very Pheasant of you ..

I use Whiskey Shelf... Solid app AND available for Android 😉

As for small distilleries McKenzie BiB from Finger Lakes Distillery is AMAZING. I saw it on a list of “Pappy Alternatives “ and while I wouldn’t say that’s true it is an excellent wheater that I really enjoy!!
Nice! I'll add them to my list .. any particular bottle from them stands out?

View attachment 154861
Some tasting offerings :

View attachment 154862
Wow! That's an awesome story. I can tell they do not share this on the Makers tours. Does he still sell distillate to Makers or have they taken over production? Also, is his distillate in all Makers 101 or is there specific releases we should be looking for?

What are your thoughts on Curley? I haven't seen much on the brand and haven't noticed them in my local shops

@TRAMPER .... You mentioned on the other thread on really high proof Bourbons... I was debating these ones but unsure if the proof would be a bit out of my range (proof wise)

There's a second one I was looking at a few days ago, but can't recall which one. Could be Augusta Distillery, but those are $300+ a bottle now where available so wouldn't have spent much time considering those.

I know you can always add water or ice, but I like drinking them neat and typically am consuming whiskies in the 100 - 115 range, sometimes breaking 120 so a 140+ bottle makes me nervous.

So who is driving you to Mason....seems you didn't get much sleep!!!!

Wow! That's an awesome story. I can tell they do not share this on the Makers tours. Does he still sell distillate to Makers or have they taken over production? Also, is his distillate in all Makers 101 or is there specific releases we should be looking for?

What are your thoughts on Curley? I haven't seen much on the brand and haven't noticed them in my local shops

He makes his own, which he then places into some sort of buyers marketplace. It's taste tested, of course, then the buyers make their own decisions. Makers took on his barrel as a limited release product pictured above.
What I recall is Makers can either buy a recipe or just use what they buy. Of course they buy from many different independent distillers. I don't think he sold the recipe, just a barrel.

About Curley's : Honestly I'm a rookie at the tasting aspect...but I'm willing to learn more!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: 😜 😜
My buddy has the back ground for whiskey tasting, has a deep knowledge base, and his own stuff will lay your ears back in a good way. He brought over those for an at home demonstration along with his own private product (not for sale of course). I will say he's not buying anything from shelves below eye level. 😜 He can guide you to products to suit your own tastes.

@TRAMPER .... You mentioned on the other thread on really high proof Bourbons... I was debating these ones but unsure if the proof would be a bit out of my range (proof wise)

There's a second one I was looking at a few days ago, but can't recall which one. Could be Augusta Distillery, but those are $300+ a bottle now where available so wouldn't have spent much time considering those.

I know you can always add water or ice, but I like drinking them neat and typically am consuming whiskies in the 100 - 115 range, sometimes breaking 120 so a 140+ bottle makes me nervous.
Idk anything about high proof (or any other rum honestly) but as you said you can always blend it down….

As for high proof bourbons it’s definitely an acquired taste but you can always lower them back down! I have a buddy that is new to whisky who always lowers bottles down to the sub 90 level and he does it with limestone water (or Ice). I do think it’s important to use the right water, hence why he uses limestone water from KY to do it. In truth that’s all a distiller is doing anyway when they sell you a 100proof bottle, taking the barrel proof and adding water until it’s 100, so you can do it at home too providing your water is the same. I like the high proofs because they’re more flavorful and undiluted.

Give Nine Band Cask or Single Barrel. Weller 107 flavor profile, a bit younger tasting than OWA, but pretty good Wheater

I would add Orphan Barrels Indigo’s Hour. If you find it at or near retail get it. It is easily the best Orphan Barrel Bourbon I have had.
I am also am a big fan of American Single Malts, such as Stranahans.
Also, consider anything from KaVaLan especially King Car Conductor

Idk anything about high proof (or any other rum honestly) but as you said you can always blend it down….

As for high proof bourbons it’s definitely an acquired taste but you can always lower them back down! I have a buddy that is new to whisky who always lowers bottles down to the sub 90 level and he does it with limestone water (or Ice). I do think it’s important to use the right water, hence why he uses limestone water from KY to do it. In truth that’s all a distiller is doing anyway when they sell you a 100proof bottle, taking the barrel proof and adding water until it’s 100, so you can do it at home too providing your water is the same. I like the high proofs because they’re more flavorful and undiluted.
When I worked inside the Beam bottling plant they told me the 4 year stuff comes out at 112 proof. The water is added to get to 90 for the white label std beam bottle.

I was there in December. Going in a barrel house that’s all pine racks, charred white oak barrels and bourbon make for a heavenly smell.

Back