7.3L towing 41’ 15k

This is probably the one (and possible only) major modification I plan to make to my Tremor, for exactly the reason you stated. When we finally get around to getting our 5er (we'll probably be the market in the next year or so for a <40' toy hauler around the same GVWR that your Montana is), I don't want to have to deal with the having to get gas every 200 miles or less.

-SR-
I almost wish I would have gone with the diesel not just because of the fuel tank issue, but I also noticed another annoyance with my 7.3 gasser. Having to stop that frequently, you don’t always have the luxury of hitting a truck stop to gas up. Pulling a 42’ trailer in a pump next to a Honda Civic takes some skill and at times can be pretty tight. Not to mention, I’m taking up all kinds of real estate at that station. It’s not hard to do, as long as your confident in your maneuvering, but it’s just a hassle! I’ve had to pass up gas stations and get back on the road because I knew I couldn’t get my rig in the one we intended to use. With diesel, you follow the big boys right around back, pull through, fill up, and your on your way. Something to consider for future buyers. Definitely worth a second look if your towing and hauling.

I almost wish I would have gone with the diesel not just because of the fuel tank issue, but I also noticed another annoyance with my 7.3 gasser. Having to stop that frequently, you don’t always have the luxury of hitting a truck stop to gas up. Pulling a 42’ trailer in a pump next to a Honda Civic takes some skill and at times can be pretty tight. Not to mention, I’m taking up all kinds of real estate at that station. It’s not hard to do, as long as your confident in your maneuvering, but it’s just a hassle! I’ve had to pass up gas stations and get back on the road because I knew I couldn’t get my rig in the one we intended to use. With diesel, you follow the big boys right around back, pull through, fill up, and your on your way. Something to consider for future buyers. Definitely worth a second look if your towing and hauling.
It'd be a lot less of an issue with the larger tank, since you'd have the luxury of being more selective about your fuel stops.

-SR-

A whopping 7.2mpg. Had to stop every 200 miles or so. Very annoying, especially when the family is sleeping and you have to stop for gas and gas only because no one has to pee, until 5 minutes after you get back on the road lol. Hoping and waiting for a tank upgrade if they ever make one.
Have you checked out the Transferflow in bed auxiliary tanks? I have the 40 gallon tank with the tool box and I love it. I have the auxiliary tank that feeds directly into the on board factory tank for the 6.7, not sure if you can use the same type for gas but the same tank/tool box combo with the external pump and nozzle is DOT approved for gas. I have the same B&W hitch and it fits perfectly.

I’m pretty sure the gas aux tanks don’t direct feed into the truck‘s fuel tank like the diesel tanks do.

I’m waiting on Transfer Flow’s gas replacement tank as well, and have been just carrying extra fuel cans in the bed in case I can’t find a place to pull in with the camper. It’s a pain in the ass and takes forever to dump four 5-gallon cans in the truck pulled off on the side of the road somewhere.

I can’t believe Ford didn’t think to offer a larger tank on the standard bed gas trucks.

Have you checked out the Transferflow in bed auxiliary tanks? I have the 40 gallon tank with the tool box and I love it. I have the auxiliary tank that feeds directly into the on board factory tank for the 6.7, not sure if you can use the same type for gas but the same tank/tool box combo with the external pump and nozzle is DOT approved for gas. I have the same B&W hitch and it fits perfectly.
Diesel only.

I’m pretty sure the gas aux tanks don’t direct feed into the truck‘s fuel tank like the diesel tanks do.

I’m waiting on Transfer Flow’s gas replacement tank as well, and have been just carrying extra fuel cans in the bed in case I can’t find a place to pull in with the camper. It’s a pain in the ass and takes forever to dump four 5-gallon cans in the truck pulled off on the side of the road somewhere.

I can’t believe Ford didn’t think to offer a larger tank on the standard bed gas trucks.
So I’ve got a retrax bed cover for my truck that is fantastic, but the clearance is an inch too big to fit this guy in there:

https://www.amazon.com/Scepter-6792-Duramax-Gallon-Flo-N-Go/dp/B000MT94QA/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=3GEQYOCUF3W2M&keywords=14+gallon+fuel+caddy&qid=1652307276&sprefix=14+gallon+fuel+caddy,aps,148&sr=8-3

If you had the room, it would be something to consider instead of all those cans. I use it for my shop. Just squeeze and pump. Very handy. If I removed my bed cover, it would fit perfect directly behind the hitch.

Get a Toy Hauler with a 30 or 60 gal "toy" fuel tank and keep it full of gas when you're traveling. Probably need a longer fill-up hose than what it comes with in order to reach the truck, though.

-SR-

I’ll have to check once it’s hooked up, but I know where your going with this. I have never bottomed out with this particular model 5er, although there are some out there that are lower and tighter clearance.
Yep that was my question. In the market for that exact one!

Back