7.3 owners ever regret not getting the diesel?

So you get .5 mpg better gas mileage than the others on here w/4:30s 😂

And 89.4% of all statistics are made up on the spot. Ha. I have no idea how much better mpg is, but even if it was only 0.5mpg, that is 4% or 5% better with absolutely no downside for my use case. Heaviest trailer I tow is 3,000lb (fishing boats, enclosed trailer for snowmobiles/dirtbikes/atvs, etc.) Primary use is slide-in pickup camper and with it, passengers and gear loaded up for a weeks trip, ran across a CAT scale last week with 2,400lb of payload. I don't care about acceleration as I only floor the truck maybe once every week or two, and that is just for fun; not out of need. With 10 gear ratios including 3 overdrives, the perfect amount of torque is always there. Plus, it just lopes along in 10th no matter if I'm driving 50mph down a long straight gravel road or 85mph on the interstate. I personally have no reason to have a deeper diff ratio and may have even considered the 3.55 if they still offered it. All a 4.30 would do for my use case is turn more rpms in 10th which has zero benefit for me. Heck, I probably would have bought the 6.8L if it was available in Lariat trim. Ha.

The shifting on my '24 has been spot on. No gear skipping and on interstate, it downshifts what seems reasonably even with cruise control on. Usually will drop to 8th after dropping a mph or two and then hold 8th up over the hill. If I don't want it to dip speed at all, I can proactively lock out 10th and/or 9th as I start up a hill and it will hold the set speed exactly. When driving around town, sometimes I lock out 10th and/or 9th. It will pull 8th at like 30mph.

First gear in high range is quite low and I just did a week of trail driving in UT with camper onboard. Very few places did I shift to 4Lo, and I'm usually a big believer in being in 4Lo on most slow trails and manually shifting as I like to shift and have the gears slow me down hills rather than riding the brakes. On my previous truck, which was a fullsize pickup with 6speed, I'd spend hours in 4Lo when driving the trails. The superduty I'm not fond of how it acts in 4Lo. Holds gears much too long (so much too high of rpm before it will upshift) and in manual mode, it will let you upshift a bit sooner, but one gear and then if you slow down and it downshifts, you have to upshift again once you reach a high enough speed. But, I found that 1st gear in 4hi was quite low (much lower than my previous pickup) and so it was reasonable to stay in high range in more conditions than trail driving our previous rig.

Everyone's use case is different, but I'm glad I changed my order to 3.73 rather than 4.30 which is what I'd originally ordered. Anyone that tows heavy with the 7.3L or puts on 37s might benefit or prefer 4.30, but no pros to deeper geared diff for how we use our pickup.

By the way, here are my rpms at different speeds after jumping up to 285/75R18 tires (best I can do with my eyes and the Ford tach as I haven't found a setting that displays exact rpm):
65mph: 1,500rpm
70mph: 1,650rpm
75mph: 1,800rpm
80mph: 1,900rpm

And, on our 1,443 mile trip (corrected 2.1% to account for tires) to UT with slide-in pickup camper, which was 540 miles of 75 to 85mph on interstate, then four days of gravel roads or slow, rough, rocky trails, then the same 540 miles home of high speed highway and interstate, we burned 108.43 gallons of fuel. Pickup gauge calculated 11.3mpg for the entire trip. Hand calculated is 13.31mpg. Really impressed with the efficiency and how it drove on it's camper maiden voyage.

Last edited:
You're being generous, based on the joined date and overall activity I just immediately assumed made up/trolling.
Sorry what do you mean? I just posted a video where JB Reviews does a side by side 0-60 comparison with the 7.3 and the 6.7 (not HO). You can clearly see that the 7.3 gets to 30 and 40mph first but the diesel starts closing the gap and looks to get to 60 first by a slight margin. It's very interesting to watch, specifically seeing how different the transmission is utilized (gas ends the run in 3rd and the diesel in 7th if I remember correctly). Anyways, with the comparison I just struggle with anyone saying the 7.3 is sluggish off the line when it's clearly faster off the line than the diesel (unloaded obviously).

Sorry what do you mean? I just posted a video where JB Reviews does a side by side 0-60 comparison with the 7.3 and the 6.7 (not HO). You can clearly see that the 7.3 gets to 30 and 40mph first but the diesel starts closing the gap and looks to get to 60 first by a slight margin. It's very interesting to watch, specifically seeing how different the transmission is utilized (gas ends the run in 3rd and the diesel in 7th if I remember correctly). Anyways, with the comparison I just struggle with anyone saying the 7.3 is sluggish off the line when it's clearly faster off the line than the diesel (unloaded obviously).

Torque management is evident on the 6.7 1st thru 3rd

1714571161167.png

Last edited:
I meant you were being overly generous to the OP with your comment of "maybe there's something wrong with yours"... I was more inclined to think he/they were just making up their story/trolling. I agree completely with the video you posted, unless you boost launch the diesel, the gasser (especially with 4.30 gears) will be noticeably quicker out of the hole, and they are basically neck and neck through a quarter mile, the diesel wins by almost a full second or more though if they boost/load it up on the brakes before launching.

Not sure how much of a difference it makes to performance and mileage, but likely some in that both pickups were brand new and not broken in. Watching the full version of the video, at least he warmed them up a bit before flogging them. Ha.

Not sure how much of a difference it makes to performance and mileage, but likely some in that both pickups were brand new and not broken in. Watching the full version of the video, at least he warmed them up a bit before flogging them. Ha.
Other thing to consider is altitude. The diesel (turbocharged) at altitude will perform better than naturally aspirated engine. At sea level the 7.3 should feel pretty dam good regardless.

Other thing to consider is altitude. The diesel (turbocharged) at altitude will perform better than naturally aspirated engine. At sea level the 7.3 should feel pretty dam good regardless.
Absolutely agree on the effects of elevation. (Hopefully "Altitude" isn't much of a concern since we typically don't get our Superdutys airborne, but stranger things have happened, at which point, engine performance difference between naturally aspirated and forced induction is the least of our worries! Ha. ).
There is also the power restricting in lower gears for various engines/transmission/year combinations, which has an impact.

But then, for most of these points, the impacts are mostly only at WOT and I submit there are very few real world situations where WOT is needed vs. just wanted.

1/4 throttle on todays rigs blows away the WOT acceleration, for merging with heavy loads and other scenarios, compared to the early 80s driving 460ci 4 speed manual pickups...and we all got along just fine back then.

I contend it's more about the driver and how you plan and drive. Seems everyone wants to reach the top of the mountain pass, towing heavy, at 80mph nowadays. Then the brake lights come on as they crest. I know time is money, but really, it's OK to have slowed to 55mph by the top of said mountain pass, even if your pickup will do more, because it sets you up better for dropping down the other side. Too many people towing heavy want/expect to be able to drive like they are running empty. Doesn't seem responsible or reasonable when towing. I don't know if it's a "macho" mentality or what. To me, when you are running heavy, drive and act like a professional that understands and cares about what you are doing and the consequences. (y)

Last edited:
I really don’t pay much attention to acceleration stats on my 7.3, as it is a nearly four ton truck meant to tow and haul, but I have to admit to a pretty serious belly laugh seeing those figures above.

Those numbers are basically indecipherable from the driver’s seat, unless you’re using a tool of some sort to measure.

Back to your regularly scheduled “mAh deEesulL iZ fAssTur tHien yuR GaaSsuR” programming. Much like Trump Derangement Syndrome, there’s something similar affecting diesel bros.

I ordered the 7.3 in March of 2021, it got pushed to a 2022 model and for the most part it does what I need and have had no issues (40,000 miles so far) but I drove the new diesel HO and my goodness what a motor, it’s heads and tails above the 7.3 for towing and I’m kind of kicking myself for not going that route in the first place. I also don’t like the look of the 23-24 trucks yet… I know first world problems that really isn’t a problem…
I have both engines. The work truck Is the 6.7 and my main driver is the 7.3 (2021). I don't regret getting the gasser for what I use it for. Plenty of power and like others said, maintaining it alone is so much easier. Our diesels seem to have expensive fuel related and DEF related hiccups. I live in northern Nevada and I'm told the diesel additives in Ca and Nevada reek havoc on the diesels with all the emissions stuff. Diesels are great if towing 50% or more, but if not. The 7.3 is great. Just my opinion.

I’m a truck camper-er. That’s actually the main reason I have a one ton truck. Anyways, I follow a lot of truck camper content online. There’s one fellow I watch on youtube who lives in the far northern US (like me). During the winter he has diesel issues that show up in about a third to a quarter of his videos. Not a 6.7 but a late model diesel HD pickup nonetheless. If the guy wasn’t as handy as he is with field repairs he’d legitimately be up s**t creek, as like most truck camper folks he is way back on a two track, miles from the closest paved road, much less town. Areas where cell service ain’t a thing.

I just sit back and think… hmmm, not problems I’ll ever have.

I’m a truck camper-er. That’s actually the main reason I have a one ton truck. Anyways, I follow a lot of truck camper content online. There’s one fellow I watch on youtube who lives in the far northern US (like me). During the winter he has diesel issues that show up in about a third to a quarter of his videos. Not a 6.7 but a late model diesel HD pickup nonetheless. If the guy wasn’t as handy as he is with field repairs he’d legitimately be up s**t creek, as like most truck camper folks he is way back on a two track, miles from the closest paved road, much less town. Areas where cell service ain’t a thing.

I just sit back and think… hmmm, not problems I’ll ever have.
That's the biggest driver in my choice. Anyone can work on the 7.3. Not so with the 6.7. But honestly I don't expect to ever have to get it worked on in the sense of tearing into the engine.

Don't tow much anymore, occasionally 6-7K. The 7.3 has all that I need. I had diesels in the past and ran flawlessly. Lots of power and torque, just not necessary anymore.

I tow a 13.5 to 14k towhauler with my gas tremor it does great even on the grades. I agree that the difference between the 6.7 and 7.3 will be more pronounced at elevation, but not so much from a standing stop. If the gasser will outrun the diesel from 0-30 MPH at sea level it would be because of lack of boost and the same would happen at altitude.

I've had 2 other Super Duty's (04 6.0 & 08 6.4) and now I've got a 22 7.3 and I do not regret getting the 7.3 this time. I got really tired of the maintenance costs on the 2 diesels that I had. I have always done my own maintenance , and not sure how these guys who just have the dealer do it can afford these. The only thing that I would change on my truck would be the gearing. Mine is a non Tremor and it came with 3.55 and I think for what I do and our local area it would have been better to have the 3.73 or 4.30 gears.

I've had 2 other Super Duty's (04 6.0 & 08 6.4) and now I've got a 22 7.3 and I do not regret getting the 7.3 this time. I got really tired of the maintenance costs on the 2 diesels that I had. I have always done my own maintenance , and not sure how these guys who just have the dealer do it can afford these. The only thing that I would change on my truck would be the gearing. Mine is a non Tremor and it came with 3.55 and I think for what I do and our local area it would have been better to have the 3.73 or 4.30 gears.
Feel for you! Those were both horrible engines. The 6.0 at least had potential but the 6.4 was complete crap

Where are you at? Is it mountainous?

His profile says Idaho, so likely there are plenty of mountain passes available to him. 👍
Yes I'm in Idaho and we live at 4200' elevation and have plenty of hills and mountain passes to go through when we travel. I mostly use this truck for towing our rv, as I have a commuter car to my day to day driving. Just about anywhere we travel to go camping we are pulling up to or over passes in the 8-10,000' of elevation.

Back