7.3 owners ever regret not getting the diesel?

To your point only 4 years of service. Commercial inventory is only a fraction of overall sales of trucks. There are far more 7.3s on the road that are 80k or less on miles so we need more history. I’m a fan of the engine too, I had one. If someone put a gun to my head and said give me engine that will last 200k miles, I would give them one out a Tacoma because there’s track history over a long period of time and proven data that engine with normal maintenance will go 200k.

To add: The 7.3 in commercial use are tuned down for longevity.
I'll add the GM 6.0 v8 to your list too. Have one at 378k miles with just regular maintenance and a radiator so far. The truck it replaced had ~380k as well. My work truck is at 180k now and still going well other than some brake/possible bearing issues in the rear. But, I do think it is carrying over what it should be with the covered utility box so.... All of them are running 2-6 hours per day too

I'll add the GM 6.0 v8 to your list too. Have one at 378k miles with just regular maintenance and a radiator so far. The truck it replaced had ~380k as well. My work truck is at 180k now and still going well other than some brake/possible bearing issues in the rear. But, I do think it is carrying over what it should be with the covered utility box so.... All of them are running 2-6 hours per day too
True that’s a good one too

The commercial 7.3s may be tuned down, but they were never a "high performance" engine to begin with. They were designed from the start for working trucks burning regular gasoline.

The 6.7 definitely is going to be more powerful and likely fun to drive (I haven't driven one) but I have never felt under powered or regret getting the 7.3.

Yes the 6.7 would be bigger and better but I don't need it. I tow less then 10k and only occasionally.
My 7.3 feel way under powered. My issue feels like off the line no torque. And over all lower performance.

My 7.3 feel way under powered. My issue feels like off the line no torque. And over all lower performance.
Once I added the 5 star tune I feel the responsiveness torque off the line greatly improved. I'm on 37s and can still break the tires lose if I hammer on it.

My issue feels like off the line no torque.
Are you saying you think there is an issue with yours or are you just underwhelmed? If the latter is it based on expectations not being met? It's not going to feel like a forced-induction large displacement diesel engine especially off the line. For a large displacement nat asp gas engine I couldn't be happier with mine... I came from a EB F150 which has great response across the whole rpm range and am still totally satisfied.

Very interesting. My 7.3 with 37’s sometimes feels so torquey off the line that I think to myself “this truck really doesn’t need first gear when I’m not towing”. And like Mas13pharmd said, the tires will break loose on pavement with enough skinny pedal pressure.

Very interesting. My 7.3 with 37’s sometimes feels so torquey off the line that I think to myself “this truck really doesn’t need first gear when I’m not towing”. And like Mas13pharmd said, the tires will break loose on pavement with enough skinny pedal pressure.
Mine, too, with 37s. Maybe the guy that was underwhelmed had a different rear differential?

Right
I could imagine if you didn’t have the 4:30 your low end power would feel quite a bit different.
You fellas might be onto something... The "About" info on that account doesn't specifically say Tremor so maybe it doesn't have the 4:30...

@1KingRanch also didn't say if his lack of performance is while towing or empty. And I guess it would simply depend on expectations. My non-tremor 7.3L with 3.73 rear diff and upsized tires to Tremor-size (285/75R18) with 2,400lbs of camper, people and gear loaded up, hauls ass. Ha. But if one was used to the torque of a boosted diesel, it would feel doggy. My 7.3 has more torque at 1,600rpm than my last pickup's small V8 did at max torque @4,000rpm, and that got the job done just fine. Love my 7.3.

Right
I could imagine if you didn’t have the 4:30 your low end power would feel quite a bit different.
I ran 37's on my 2021 7.3 with 3.55 gears for the better part of a year and had zero issues with power off the line, been driving it around with the stock wheels back on it for the last couple of months and it isnt meaningfully quicker other than it holds onto 10th longer on some hills on the highway. I never drag raced against a Tremor so I have no idea whether it was slower or not, but never felt like I was at a disadvantage pulling away from a light or merging in traffic, but I also dont drive like an asshole in those situations 🤷‍♂️ . I still had to pedal it to keep the rears from spinning pulling out of my neighborhood every morning.

My ordered 2024 I stayed with 3.73's and dont feel like I will be leaving any performance on the table.

I ran 37's on my 2021 7.3 with 3.55 gears for the better part of a year and had zero issues with power off the line, been driving it around with the stock wheels back on it for the last couple of months and it isnt meaningfully quicker other than it holds onto 10th longer on some hills on the highway. I never drag raced against a Tremor so I have no idea whether it was slower or not, but never felt like I was at a disadvantage pulling away from a light or merging in traffic, but I also dont drive like an asshole in those situations 🤷‍♂️ . I still had to pedal it to keep the rears from spinning pulling out of my neighborhood every morning.

My ordered 2024 I stayed with 3.73's and dont feel like I will be leaving any performance on the table.
The only thing I would say, which was said above, is that I could do without 1st gear outside of tow/haul. But, 1st gear feels like it would rip the asphalt right out from under me if I wanted it to 😉. The only diesel I've ever owned is my tractor though, so... 🤷

3:73 is still a good gear ratio, I would not want 3:55s

Tallest gears they offer with the 7.3, anymore, is 3.73. That being said, the owners that I know with 7.3 and 3.55 are very happy, though they are running 35x12.5 and not 37s. I'm very happy with my 7.3 and 3.73 and since tremor only come with 4.30, that is another perk of my not being able to get a Tremor. I only buy extended cabs (supercab) and Tremor only come in supercrew, so I was able to get 3.73.

Tallest gears they offer with the 7.3, anymore, is 3.73. That being said, the owners that I know with 7.3 and 3.55 are very happy, though they are running 35x12.5 and not 37s. I'm very happy with my 7.3 and 3.73 and since tremor only come with 4.30, that is another perk of my not being able to get a Tremor. I only buy extended cabs (supercab) and Tremor only come in supercrew, so I was able to get 3.73.
So you get .5 mpg better gas mileage than the others on here w/4:30s 😂

Last edited:
I felt the same way initially, its one of the reasons I almost ordered an F350 back when I bought my 2021 since 3.73 was the base ratio for the 7.3 on those, but when the truck I bought came available I jumped on it and was more than happy with how it drove for me, even when I stepped up to 37's it was minimal impact.

The main gripes I had with that ratio when I ran 37's was more down to the lame transmission programming from Ford (which appears to be largely addressed in 23+ trucks). If you can get it in right gear it was no different than stock. Pulling out of my neighborhood is a 90 degree right hand from a stopsign onto a steep'ish uphill stretch of road and if I took off quick enough in normal mode to force it to hit second instead of skipping 1 to 3 it would spin the tires as I made the turn and if I pulled away slowly it would bog when it hit 3rd and then slam down into 2nd as I tipped into the throttle more once I was pointed straight. I just got into the habit of putting it in Tow/Haul mode so that it wouldn't skip shift (and was planning to have it tuned once out of warranty before I decided to order a 2024). The other gripe was on the highway with longer rolling hills running cruise control, it hangs on to 10th way too long and so you lose a bunch of speed and then it would bang down into 8th or 7th and accelerate at practically wide open throttle up the rest of the hill. If you drove it normally without cc and anticipated the hills it would kick down to 9th and pull the entire hill without any drama. Tow/Haul mode helped, but I usually would just lock out 10th in those situations (or drive without cruise control). As a plus though, I regularly got 15-16 MPG cruising 75+ on the highway, even with the lift and 37's.

Back