4WD Issues

DLayne

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F350 Tremor
Curious if anyone else has had issues with the Auto 4WD and the vacuum system that enables it. There is a plastic T connector in the system. For the 4th time this $2 plastic connector has cracked after driving on the beach, in mud and in snowy icy conditions. This seems ludicrous for a truck designed to go off road. We are in the middle of winter and all dealers in local area are booked out until March or April. Covid Zoom town. No new techs. Still under warranty, but will need to fix myself otherwise I have a 7,000lb sled in our ice storm of late.

Has anyone found an after market fix? Thinking an aluminum or carbon fiber T would solve the problem. The last shift to 4wd enduced a loud cluck and metal grinding noise even when turning hubs into manually so there may be more damage…ugggg…

Any advise would be appreciated.

Does the manual switch of the hubs to 4wd still work or you can no longer get into 4wd period? If it still works manually, then at least you don’t have a 7,000lbs sled.

“ There is a plastic T connector in the system”.

Do you have a photo of the connector or its location? Curious what it looks like.

McMaster carr would be a good place to find a replacement.

Something like this in the correct ID

Last edited:
The "T" connector is located above the front axle. I have never seen a broken one in any of my Super Duties. I did have my vacuum pump module go bad in my '05 during a snow storm and was glad to have the back up manual locking hubs.

First time I have ever heard of this - but hammering mud/sand could push more debris up that way.

Last edited:
If my memory is correct, the "T" comes from up top of the engine and then goes to both hubs. I would say definitely could, in heavy mud or debris.

Just to clarify, the one connection heads up the firewall area. It "T" around the front crossmember and goes to each hub.

Does 4 wheel drive not work if you lock the hubs manually? I know this isn't always convenient but when you say it's a 7000lb sled without the plastic T being replaced......

If the hubs are manually locked 4wd works. The vacuum system does the same thing to the hub as your hand.

Yes, that 's the best part of this set up.

Right. The manual hubs are essentially a fail safe.

Thanks for all the help. Last couple of times turning the hubs to manual did solve the problem. Great to have the manual option. It does shift into 4WD with manual hubs, but now I am getting a high pitched metal on metal squealing noise. That was after the latest Auto shift that had a loud clunk noise before the metal noises appeared. My fear is there was a partial engagement that may have created more issues….All shifts were done at slow speeds in a straight line.

At least I am studded up and just added 600lbs of sand bags to the bed. Doable but not confidence inspiring😁

If I know I’m going to be needing/using 4WD often I just go ahead and manually lock the hubs ahead of time. Even if it’s for a few hours or a few days. Just leave em locked and manually unlock them when you don’t need 4WD anymore. Gives piece of mind, I ensure that they are locked in and leaves no room for faults, bangs or harsh engagement.

Next step after warranty is expired. Great idea! Thx
Why not save yourself the time and hassle of dealing with and waiting at the dealership instead of doing it now? It's super easy to replace, and will save you from having to get out in the cold or mud to manually engage your hubs the next time you are in need! Especially since it's been a reoccuring issue!

Since you are getting some sort of noises now, I'd suggest getting the front end off the ground for some inspection activity.

Curious if anyone else has had issues with the Auto 4WD and the vacuum system that enables it. There is a plastic T connector in the system. For the 4th time this $2 plastic connector has cracked after driving on the beach, in mud and in snowy icy conditions. This seems ludicrous for a truck designed to go off road. We are in the middle of winter and all dealers in local area are booked out until March or April. Covid Zoom town. No new techs. Still under warranty, but will need to fix myself otherwise I have a 7,000lb sled in our ice storm of late.

Has anyone found an after market fix? Thinking an aluminum or carbon fiber T would solve the problem. The last shift to 4wd enduced a loud cluck and metal grinding noise even when turning hubs into manually so there may be more damage…ugggg…

Any advise would be appreciated.
Couple of things.

First, if you know you are going to need 4WD, definitely engage the hubs manually. Always do this instead of waiting until you are actually stuck or close to it to use the auto system. Use the vacuum system to get you out of an unexpected situation, not as a normal way to engage the hubs. You can engage them manually before you even leave home if you want to, and then just use the dash switch while cruising along to lock it in 4WD. This is a much better way than relying on the vacuum system. And manual engagement works well in the mountains where you might want to intermittently go in and out of 4WD as you drive, without slowing down.

Second, why would you wait for months for a dealer to install a five minute, $2. part that you already know is weak? Fix it yourself. Isn't that better than risking getting stuck on the beach or in the snow? Get a metal T or throw a couple of spares into the glove compartment. But best of all, don't rely on vacuum engagement. How does that little unneeded part turn your truck into a "7,000 lb sled"? Really?

If you are going to go exploring off-road, you need to be somewhat self reliant. If you have aftermarket wheels with center caps that block access to the hubs, take those caps off and leave them off. Use your manual hubs.

Go to your local True Value and get a brass replacement. They're about 3$.

My rant is still on about this kind of situation, but not this particular case. I'm not addressing my comments at anyone in particular.

Pardon me, but why buy an expensive and extremely capable Tremor, and then go out into the wild and use it as intended, while not understanding the basics of how the system works and how to maximize its capabilities, or while not being willing to lift a finger to help yourself, while blaming others? It makes no sense to me. Not pointing a finger at anyone in particular here. Just wondering out loud.

As an example, I rescued a guy off the beach who was stuck 1/4 mile from the road, in sand, while towing a trailer, with his whole family with him, while driving a very capable F250 with large oversized tires. There was no real reason for him to even be stuck. He had spent a bunch of money on aftermarket wheels and tires because "they look cool". He had no idea how to drive out. The wheels had center caps that prevented him from accessing his hubs manually. He didn't even know the hubs existed, but he was perfectly willing to drive right out into the sand and get stuck. His poor wife knew he wasn't real bright and went looking for someone to help get them out. She found me. I drove right down to where he was and tuned him up on how to drive it out. What gear to use, how much throttle, how to build up some momentum, what course to take, etc. I didn't even bother to get any of my equipment out. He followed my advice and drove out after being hopelessly stranded. I've seen this happen a number of times.

If we are going to adventure off-road, we need to take responsibility for what we are doing and be resourceful and as self reliant as possible. Learn how to use your truck to its best advantage in various conditions. Be prepared to help yourself with some basic equipment you may need. Getting mad or blaming others does not get us unstuck.

Back