23 Tremor, 5th wheel rotoflex, Anderson Hitch & RetraxPRO MX

cavementech

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2023 F-250 6.7 HO Lariat Tremor
I posted a couple weeks ago about damaging my tonneau cover rails while making a sharp turn with my 5th wheel.

I'm hoping that someone has the same setup as myself and has found a solution.

I have the ball at it's highest setting on the Anderson and the 5th wheel mount that holds the RotoFlex king pin is what is hitting the rail. The RotoFlex is mounted level and to where the 5th is at it's highest.

I'm at all loss at what to do in order to make the 5th wheel mount not hit my tonneau cover rail. It is about 1/2" below the rail. So close, yet not don't know how else to fix the problem.

The tonneau cover basically reduces the bed width by 2" on top, 1" on each side. And well, that just enough to cause this problem.

I have seen people orient the Andersen mount on the king pin the opposite as your setup to gain clearance with bed rails. It will pull the camper closer to the back window, but may clear the bed rails? I just bought an Andersen hitch for my 23 and will find out soon enough when I get it all installed myself. I know there are some measurements you can take in the instructions to tell you how to orient the capture block.

I totally forgot the block could be turned. I've turned it backwards. What is strange is according to the measurements it should have been good either way.

I'm going to take it back to storage this weekend for a few weeks so I'll know more then.

Just parked the RV. A few things...

1. The turning radius will be terribly reduced.
2. There is a big change in the ride. Much more bucking than when the block is in the forward position.
3. When hitching up, the tailgate is about 6 to 8 inches from the RV. I was easily able to scoot behind the tailgate when plugging in the RV to the truck. Not now.

Definitely don't like any of the issues but not sure what else to try.

I know it's not ideal to change your whole set up but you may need to... If you're looking for gooseball for lighter hitches, you'll probably need to go with a Goosebox.
I'm actually picking up our 5th on Wednesday. I had them switch out the pin box for a Goosebox and I got the Gen-Y 5" offset ball. I'm also running a retrax so I can report back on any clearance issues.

It's not ideal to start from scratch but I will if needed. Definitely can't damage the rails and more importantly my cab and back window lol.

I look forward to hear more about your setup.

Brought her home on Wednesday! I'm loving this setup so far. Plenty of clearance. I measured rails to 5th wheel and we're at almost 9 inches! I haven't tried a full 90 degrees cuz it was pouring rain and windy as hell and my wife didn't want to stand outside while I tried it. Lol truck hardly knew it was back there. Wifey was very impressed with how she wasn't able to really feel the camper, even on big bumps on the highway. The air bag and dampening shocks on the Goosebox definitely did their job and that was only with about 5-10 lbs of air in it. I'm sure I'll get even more clearance when there's more air added to the bag but definitely not worried about it. I'm looking forward to fully testing this set-up.

Attachments

• 20240417_160409.jpg
    20240417_160409.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 39
Awesome! Thanks for the update.

Now to decided between the Gooseball and Gen-Y. Leaning to the Gooseball though because of your setup.

I heard Gen-Y will void your frame warranty?? Not sure if that's still true. I didn't want to gamble with it so I went Goosebox with the Gen-Y 5" offset ball.

I'm going to do the same.

@marine_wi How do you like the offset? I think the Anderson i have right now is a 4" offset with the block in the rear position. The RV pulled great.

I'm going to do the same.

@marine_wi How do you like the offset? I think the Anderson i have right now is a 4" offset with the block in the rear position. The RV pulled great.
So far so good! I took it out by myself this morning for a drive. Had to take it in for the fridge. But that's hear nor there.

I was testing turning radius when I got back and I can get almost to a full 90°. I'm sure I could get closer but without a spotter watching, I was getting nervous. Lol
I'm very happy with this setup. I recommend it to just about everyone that asks me what I'm using.

I have my GooseBox and offset on order. I'm still nervous about the clearance of the bed rails.

Never noticed it was so little clearance before.

The crazy thing is I towed 2 times with the exact setup and turning in my cul-de-sac without contact.

I have my GooseBox and offset on order. I'm still nervous about the clearance of the bed rails.

Never noticed it was so little clearance before.

The crazy thing is I towed 2 times with the exact setup and turning in my cul-de-sac without contact.
You can make adjustments to the height if you're worried. I believe there's like 3 inches of height that you can pick from. Plus when you add air to the Goosebox, it raises the nose of the camper a little bit more.

Back