'23 Transmission replacement after 4k miles

LTStorm07

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Just wanted to add to the thread since I know this was an issue with some trucks in the past, but apparently it still might be. I have a 2023 6.7HO that has a whopping 4000 miles on it. I was 2nd week job 2 last year, and only use it to tow with. As of this week, it is in the garage for the instrument cluster recall, and come to find out, the transmission main valve body failed. While the truck shifted smooth through the gears, never skiped, etc., but recently when cold, I noticed it shifted hard from reverse to drive (think backing out of the garage). It would shift into reverse with no issues, but when put in drive it would literally "launch" the truck. Enough force it could push through the brakes if not pressed hard. Once the transmission warmed up or if the air temp outside wasn't cold, it would shift normally from rev to drive. I mentioned this to the dealer since I was taking it in for the recall and that was their findings.. Hopefully it was just bad part from the factory...

Update 4/26, Ford is replacing the whole transmission at this point as the issue still exists.

Last edited:
seems like most of them do that until they are warm. both my '20 and my '24 do it

seems like most of them do that until they are warm. both my '20 and my '24 do it
I had read a lot of people said that, but figured I'd have it checked out. I told them I had read reports that it may be normal, but they told me that none of the trucks should never do that, and they could be headed for failure.:unsure:

Just an update on this thread, new main valve body is in, but did not correct this issue per dealership. At this point, Ford authorized replacing the entire transmission. Talk about being down for awhile - at least they new transmission is already enroute to the dealer and they should have it next week.

Yikes, sorry to hear this. So is the instrument cluster a full on recall now?

Yikes, sorry to hear this. So is the instrument cluster a full on recall now?
Yes the cluster is a safety level recall. I'm happy it's done because now it can remember screens.

Just an update regarding the transmission,
The new one is in and so far no issues. It is 100% smooth up and down through the whole gear range, including reverse and when cold. They diagnosed the main valve body and found failed solenoids, scoring on the pistons in it and more. Dealer also advised me that due to the part failure, it is more than likely the root cause of the further failures inside the transmission. Thus, they replaced the whole unit. If it had been a higher mileage vehicle / age, they would have looked into a transmission teardown and repair instead.

I think the P-D-R lurch is a “feature” not a defect. When you first start the truck, put it in neutral before shifting to reverse or drive. You will see after 1-2 seconds the RPM’s will drop below 1000 and the lurching is reduced significantly. If you warm it enough to get the idle down to 600 RPM there is zero lurch. For some reason the warmup sequence changes between park and neutral.

I believe the issue could be solved with better programming. Our VW Alltrack does a great job with this with a dual clutch, but most of the problem can be addressed with lower RPMs at startup.

I think the P-D-R lurch is a “feature” not a defect. When you first start the truck, put it in neutral before shifting to reverse or drive. You will see after 1-2 seconds the RPM’s will drop below 1000 and the lurching is reduced significantly. If you warm it enough to get the idle down to 600 RPM there is zero lurch. For some reason the warmup sequence changes between park and neutral.

I believe the issue could be solved with better programming. Our VW Alltrack does a great job with this with a dual clutch, but most of the problem can be addressed with lower RPMs at startup.
Maybe, but based on my experience, my truck idles under 1000 even when cold. I have a heated garage so it's never truly that cold. I did what you mentioned to try and test the theory when the transmission was acting up and it didn't make a difference. I had read that was normal with the 7.3, but not a 6.7. I can tell you 100% for sure it did it even idling 600 rpms.

That sucks you had to go through that.

Back in 2003 I bought a new 250 with the brand spanking new and improved 6.0 diesel. The truck had around 4K miles when the transmission grenaded itself riding down the HWY. Towed it to Ford and received a call 3 days later saying my truck was ready. I asked what they did and they said replaced the transmission. Apparently Ford shipped a brand new one and told the dealer to put that one in the crate and send it back for testing.

Never had another issue with the transmission however that 6.0...

Back