2021 Tremor Switch to 2023 Tremor Observations

VB!

Tremor Junkie
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2023 7.3
I traded my 2021 F-250 Lariat Ultimate Tremor 7.3 for a 2023 F-250 Lariat Ultimate Tremor 7.3. Here’s some observations after a couple hundred miles.

The 2023 rides better. It’s still firm but less harsh. Passengers commented on this before I thought about it.

The new stereo is much improved over the old one. The seats are more comfortable. The fit and finish in the new cab is incredible. I have not figured out all the screens yet. The heads-up display is interesting. Adaptive cruse with start stop is really nice.

The only thing I don’t like is the locker engagement. It now has a separate button to push. The old version of pulling out the dial to engage and pushing it in to disengage could easily be done by feel. The new buttons around the dial need to be looked at. I have not had a chance to text the drive modes yet.

The new Lariat LED headlights are a big improvement over the halogens. The reverse lights still suck and I’ll be adding auxiliary lights like I did on the ’21.

What have I found most interesting? This group is all pretty opinionated on which is better the ’20-’21 body style or the ’23. Most people don’t notice. I’ve been asked more if I got my truck painted or wrapped more than I’ve gotten comments on a new truck. The general public seems to just see a Ford.

1685049125629.jpeg

I traded my 2021 F-250 Lariat Ultimate Tremor 7.3 for a 2023 F-250 Lariat Ultimate Tremor 7.3. Here’s some observations after a couple hundred miles.

The 2023 rides better. It’s still firm but less harsh. Passengers commented on this before I thought about it.

The new stereo is much improved over the old one. The seats are more comfortable. The fit and finish in the new cab is incredible. I have not figured out all the screens yet. The heads-up display is interesting. Adaptive cruse with start stop is really nice.

The only thing I don’t like is the locker engagement. It now has a separate button to push. The old version of pulling out the dial to engage and pushing it in to disengage could easily be done by feel. The new buttons around the dial need to be looked at. I have not had a chance to text the drive modes yet.

The new Lariat LED headlights are a big improvement over the halogens. The reverse lights still suck and I’ll be adding auxiliary lights like I did on the ’21.

What have I found most interesting? This group is all pretty opinionated on which is better the ’20-’21 body style or the ’23. Most people don’t notice. I’ve been asked more if I got my truck painted or wrapped more than I’ve gotten comments on a new truck. The general public seems to just see a Ford.

View attachment 121265
Nice write-up. Looking forward to my 2023 on the way very soon. Sold off my 2018 F250 Platty when the gettin’ was still good. Been missing having a truck ever since. Having a paid off 2021 Mach 1 has helped me feel alright about it. LOL

I like both body styles .I have a 23 7.3 on order and looking forward to it ..one day.

View attachment 121265
Did you leave your ‘21 wheels on the new one?

Reactions: VB!
The only thing I don’t like is the locker engagement. It now has a separate button to push.
First off, congratulations and I'm glad you're liking the new truck. I personally just can't get past the looks. I have now seen many on the road and still feel that way. I had always loved how your last truck looked since the day you joined and yes I remember when most of the OG's joined.
To me, I had always thought the way they had done the locker engagement switch was a bit odd. Although I personally had never done it, I felt like that it could easily be turned on or turned off accidentally and never really liked that idea. I had no idea they were separating the switch on the new truck. Without actually seeing it in action I feel like this is a good move.
Again, congratulations and good luck with the new truck.

View attachment 121265
Both look great, think i like your 23' more actually.

I also noticed on multiple side by side shots that the 23 tremor seems to sit a bit taller than the 20-22. And when next to an early gen, the 23 front end on chrome does seem like a fresh design, especially over halogen trucks. I like chrome on 23s.

Have you noticed any difference in the 23s 7.3/10 sp engine & trans performance over the 21? Was curious if they had refined it in the new models.

Have you noticed any difference in the 23s 7.3/10 sp engine & trans performance over the 21? Was curious if they had refined it in the new models.
I'm surprised I haven't seen more people comment on the removal of the skip shift.

I'm surprised I haven't seen more people comment on the removal of the skip shift.
I didn't comment on the transmission because I figured it had not finished "learning" yet and that was maybe why it drove differently. I also have not driven it all the places the '21 would show it's characteristics, it has not been cold enough for those cold morning hard engagements, etc.

I have not seen the torque curves of the '21 and the '23 side by side so I don't know where the additional power from the 7.3 is made this year. It does feel like it pulls harder. I got on it the other day and noticed it hit every gear, no skipping, and held its nose up a bit until I laid off it. In other words, it had firm and quick shifts without a loss of power going to the wheels during them. It still downshifts when slowing, but not as hard. If someone jumped in and wrote about how Ford used new software for the transmission to improve some old issues I would believe it. My '21 didn't have problems shifting or maybe I just got used to its characteristics. The '23 does shift cleaner but I'll let it learn (if it still does that) some more before I commit to an answer.

For the engine, I love the sound of a V-8. The '21 was great and so is the '23. Since everyone loves pictures, here's some to show the visual differences which appear to be on the passenger side. First is the '21 followed by the '23.

20210305_110516.jpg

20230520_180727.jpg

Vb!'s characterization of the power and shifting is about the same as my take after 3,600 miles. Stock tires where 32" and about 50lbs and the 1st-4th was a bit aggressive. My 37s calmed that down and now it's pretty smooth shifting.

I didn't comment on the transmission because I figured it had not finished "learning" yet and that was maybe why it drove differently. I also have not driven it all the places the '21 would show it's characteristics, it has not been cold enough for those cold morning hard engagements, etc.

I have not seen the torque curves of the '21 and the '23 side by side so I don't know where the additional power from the 7.3 is made this year. It does feel like it pulls harder. I got on it the other day and noticed it hit every gear, no skipping, and held its nose up a bit until I laid off it. In other words, it had firm and quick shifts without a loss of power going to the wheels during them. It still downshifts when slowing, but not as hard. If someone jumped in and wrote about how Ford used new software for the transmission to improve some old issues I would believe it. My '21 didn't have problems shifting or maybe I just got used to its characteristics. The '23 does shift cleaner but I'll let it learn (if it still does that) some more before I commit to an answer.

For the engine, I love the sound of a V-8. The '21 was great and so is the '23. Since everyone loves pictures, here's some to show the visual differences which appear to be on the passenger side. First is the '21 followed by the '23.

View attachment 121293

View attachment 121294
I like to hear positive things about the transmission! I lead the maintenance crew for the 10R140 assembly line in Sharonville, OH. We had a rough start a couple years back, but I'm glad to hear real world, positive commentary about it working better. My 7.3 is in production and can't wait to get it

OP, thank you for the comparison. I have a 21 and have a 23 on order. I have no complaints about my purgatory truck. I had to wait for it but it has performed flawlessly from day one. I have been concerned that the 23 would not live up to the performance of the 21. I thank you for your opinions on the engine/transmission comparison.

View attachment 121293

View attachment 121294
Looks like biggest change is that they flipped the battery around. I wonder if the upfitter wiring is easier to get to in the '23?

What’s the button for the locker look like?

What’s the button for the locker look like?
This is the lower center dash. The locker button is the lower left button. It occupies the 6 to 9 position around the Drive Mode dial.

I didn't mention it earlier, but the phone charger is much improved. You can just see the top of it below.

20230530_081145.jpg

This is the lower center dash. The locker button is the lower left button. It occupies the 6 to 9 position around the Drive Mode dial.

I didn't mention it earlier, but the phone charger is much improved. You can just see the top of it below.

View attachment 121725
Only improvement I see is the button for the heated wheel. Really miss having just a button for that. First world problems I know.

I bet this new charging pad layout would fit in previous years if people want the upgraded wireless charging.

View attachment 121725
Doesn’t look like they added any way to identify individual physical buttons by feel, eh?

That’s one thing I’ve found missing from the current physical buttons. Trying to find play/pause, for example, requires either looking or feeling super carefully for the crack between the buttons.

• Sad
Reactions: VB!

View attachment 121725

I don’t understand how that button works. It’s a push button but also has a dial setting?

Back