10R140 Transmission heavy downshifts

The only hard/harsh down shifts/weird shifting I have are throttle induced (Medium to heavy throttle imputs). Other than that it is really smooth. The only other thing my truck does, if you floor it from a dead stop, there is a delay from when you push the pedal to the floor until the transmission decides to do something. I never have experienced this in my previous generation 6.7L, just normal turbo lag. Somedays I am completely amazed by how well it shifts and other times I think it shifts like garbage.

You guys are right about 2nd gear, when shifting from 1st to 2nd it does kick you. I don't mind too much as long as everything is in place...hate spilling drinks from something like that. I rather like the hard shifts.

I get this kick when I pull out from a stop sign in a down hill right out of my house. After stoping it goes into 1st, when I release the break to keep going I get a lot of speed from the hill so the shift to 2nd is very rough (wife also noticed/complained) especially if I try to do a quick start, so I've been adjusting input to try to smooth it out and it helps but some times I just forget and get the kick so I really need to do a conscious effort to get it right.

Iam having ALL the above shifting issues as well (7.3) Loaded and Unloaded.. I have yet o find a service bulletin on early 2020 builds.... Have an appt at dealer on Monday.. Will update the thread soon.. LOVE this truck tho!!??

My truck shifts extremely smooth when warm. However, up and down shifts are significantly rougher when the trans is cold.

Note: I have the Gasser.

My truck shifts extremely smooth when warm. However, up and down shifts are significantly rougher when the trans is cold.

same thing for me with diesel, gen 1

i don't have these issues mine shifts very smooth ... smoother then my 2012 F150 with a 6 speed

You guys are right about 2nd gear, when shifting from 1st to 2nd it does kick you. I don't mind too much as long as everything is in place...hate spilling drinks from something like that. I rather like the hard shifts.
I've been noticing mine skips 2nd gear completely. This cause a lurch when shifting from 1st straight to 3rd. Possible it could cause a spin out on ice?

There is a service bulletin for a re-flash on the trans shifting - mine seems to have gotten better but if you’re still having issues I would ask your dealer about the software update
Would you have any more info on this? Bulletin number?

Iam having ALL the above shifting issues as well (7.3) Loaded and Unloaded.. I have yet o find a service bulletin on early 2020 builds.... Have an appt at dealer on Monday.. Will update the thread soon.. LOVE this truck tho!!??

WHEN WAS THE CHANGE FROM GEN 1 TRANS TO GEN 2?
First off, there is no Gen1 and Gen2 transmission. They are all the same, except a fix to a few of the faulty torque converters, but that affected hardly anyone. The only thing that happened between 2019 and today is that there was a remapping for the 10R140, but most 2020 production vehicles have that map already or the dealer can load it for you. It also doesn't change the typical 10R140 behavior and torque management. See here: https://www.fordtremor.com/threads/slight-surging-rough-when-cold-anyone-else.1384/#post-37243

Obviously this is very subjective, so worthwhile having the dealer look at and check if it's really within spec, however, in 99% of those described cases on the 10R140 in this and the several other threads, this is just normal.

Some more info on the 10R140...

General specs: https://www.dieselhub.com/trans/10r140-torqshift-10.html#:~:text=The 10R140 TorqShift ('TorqShift,lb-ft maximum torque rating.

Post #6 here is a great comparison between 10R80 and 10R140: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1606517-new-10-speed.html#post19002608

Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 1.55.46 PM.png

EDIT: One other interesting thing to note is that the 10R140 will adjust shift pattern based on road conditions and sensor input, i.e. steering wheel position, traction et cetera.

EDIT 2: highly recommend this read from our friends at fordraptorforum.com: https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/2017-ten-speed-tranny-hard-shifting.75758/#post-1474610

EDIT 3: Seems some people are getting so annoyed with this behavior of the transmission that they filed for a class action lawsuit. https://www.classaction.org/blog/de...t-harshly-and-erratically-class-action-claims

EDIT 4: I keep piling on top, but this thread on the 10R80 (which is really all the same issues and resolution strategies as the 10R140) is absolutely amazing with lots of good info on how to investigate and resolve.

Last edited:
I've had one rough downshift while coming to a stop when the truck has around 700 miles on it. It jerked me forward... thought I might need to see the chiropractor.

It seems the transmission likes decisive inputs of accelerator or brake. It doesn't like to coast, especially at slow speeds. Seems like its hunting for gears all the time and trying to put all that torque to work.

Has anyone heard if there is an adjustment for this?
I've experienced the same thing on mine (which is a September build). Are you still experiencing this? What have you found out since you've made this comment?

i have finally expierenced the heavy shifting ... and the trans was at 50 degrees ... it was cold ... once it warmed up ... zero issues .... it doesn't warm up the trans in remote start ... you really need to drive it to warm up the trans

Back