Fidelis_One

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Military
USMC
Current Ride
2021 F250 Tremor - Star White Metallic - 6.7L Diesel - Lariat Ultimate
Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to find a receiver lock for my hitch and can find a 5/8in pin that is long enough for the 3in receiver, but I'm having a hard time finding a true 1/2in pin lock that is long enough. Seems most lock manufactures go to 5/8in when extending longer but that seems like it would create a less tha ideal situation where the hitch can slide a bit more in the receiver due to the smaller pin diameter.

Anyone know where a good quality 1/2 locking pin for the 3in receiver can be found?

*I literally searched the web and amazon for 30 min before coming here to ask...

I'm trying to find a receiver lock for my hitch and can find a 5/8in pin that is long enough for the 3in receiver, but I'm having a hard time finding a true 1/2in pin lock that is long enough. Seems most lock manufactures go to 5/8in when extending longer but that seems like it would create a less tha ideal situation where the hitch can slide a bit more in the receiver due to the smaller pin diameter.

Either I'm reading your post incorrectly, or you're confused about 5/8" (0.675") being smaller than 1/2" (0.500").

In any event, this is the one I use:

My guess would be safety. 1/2" pin for a 3" receiver may not support the expected poundage or force it could potentially have applied to it.

Hey Everyone,

Anyone know where a good quality 1/2 locking pin for the 3in receiver can be found?

*I literally searched the web and amazon for 30 min before coming here to ask...
A 5/8" pin is larger than a 1/2" (4/8) pin, so it makes sense to use the larger one for the 3" receivers.

I am using the locking pin from Bulletproof for my 3" receiver and it fits great:
BulletProof Locking Pin 5/8"

I had to drill a third hole in the end to use the safety cotter pin, but it was the only one I could find that included the safety cotter. I have read reports of others who said the locks fell off when towing, so I did not want to take a chance with my TT.

Tremor-BP-Hole.jpeg

Tremor-BP-Cotter.jpeg

Tremor-BP-Lock.jpeg

Last edited:
Either I'm reading your post incorrectly, or you're confused about 5/8" (0.675") being smaller than 1/2" (0.500").

In any event, this is the one I use:

I think he means that a 1/2" pin is not long enough to go through a 3" receiver.

I think he means that a 1/2" pin is not long enough to go through a 3" receiver.

Yes, that is true. However, I am not sure why he would want to go with a smaller diameter pin in the first place. :unsure:

Dangit. Thank you everyone for helping me fix my brain this morning. Clearly I shouldn't be researching this stuff without some coffee. Trying to lay off the caffeine and this is the cost.

I was clearly out of my mind thinking that 5/8 was smaller than 1/2.

My 3" receiver from outside to outside edge is slightly more than 3.5", so the cotter pin would be right on the edge and possibly halfway covered in the hole making it difficult to put in and remove. In the description for the item on Amazon, it only mentions up to 2.5" receivers.

The one I posted has a 4" useable length bar and I drilled my hole at 3 3/4", which still makes it tight to remove the safety cotter.

I don't use a cotter pin with a lock, and I'm not sure why you do, either.
My 3" receiver from outside to outside edge is slightly more than 3.5", so the cotter pin would be right on the edge and possibly halfway covered in the hole making it difficult to put in and remove. In the description for the item on Amazon, it only mentions up to 2.5" receivers.

The one I posted has a 4" long solid bar and I drilled my hole at 3 3/4", which still makes it tight to remove the safety cotter.

I'm not sure why you're buying oversized parts and drilling holes in them, but the reality is that you bought and installed a component that doesn't fit your vehicle, hence your need to drill a hole. If it fit your vehicle, the hole wouldn't have been necessary.

Mine fits snugly without a cotter pin. In fact, there's no provision for a cotter pin. Works beautifully.

Has anyone thought of or tried using the hitch pin that came with the truck and using the lock mechanism purchased on said hitch pin?

Or does Ford provide a lock that goes with the supplied hitch Pin. Been thinking about this for a couple of weeks. Got some more time now. My Airstream which was first due in April pushed to June got pushed back to July now is pushed back to end of August.

Maybe I should cancel and demand a 2022.

Dangit. Thank you everyone for helping me fix my brain this morning. Clearly I shouldn't be researching this stuff without some coffee. Trying to lay off the caffeine and this is the cost.

I was clearly out of my mind thinking that 5/8 was smaller than 1/2.
No problem. It happens to all of us. I see you are a member of the Armed Forces. Maybe if we had spoken in terms of calibers instead of fractional inches, that would have avoided the problem!

Thank you for your service!

I don't use a cotter pin with a lock, and I'm not sure why you do, either.

I'm not sure why you're buying oversized parts and drilling holes in them, but the reality is that you bought and installed a component that doesn't fit your vehicle, hence your need to drill a hole. If it fit your vehicle, the hole wouldn't have been necessary.

Mine fits snugly without a cotter pin. In fact, there's no provision for a cotter pin. Works beautifully.

I am glad yours works for you. (y)

I bought exactly the size I needed for my truck because I wanted a cotter pin for an extra margin of safety. I would not consider something "oversized" when it is made specifically for 3" receivers. From the description: "The length of the pin allows it to be used on all 2", 2.5" & 3" hitch receivers." I did not see anything that mentioned it would work with receivers larger than mine, so should I have bought one for a 2.5" receiver, instead?

On the issue of safety, there have been reports on this forum of similar hitch locks coming off when towing. Others have reported pins getting bent from WDH accessories which could potentially dislodge the lock. I use a Blue Ox WDH with 1500 lb spring bars, but so far I have not had issues with bent pins.

On the hole, I could not tell from their pictures if their holes would work for the 3" receiver, so instead of sending it back, I drilled another one exactly where I needed it. The lock fits perfectly without the hole, but why take a chance on something so easy? If the lock falls off, no harm, no foul and my TT is still attached to the back of my truck. :cool:

I like the idea of the cotter pin as a back-up to the locking mechanism. I've towed 1000's (OK 10's of 1000's) of miles and never had a lock pop-off. But with my latest locking pin setup, the lock is snug against the receiver and I always think to myself when hooking the trailer up, "What if that damn lock popped-off?" Of course I use safety chains properly, but with more options out there now with 3" receivers, I think I'm going to upgrade.

As for the 1/2" pin dilemma, could there be an issue where a class III or IV tow bar only has a 1/2" hole? So now there would be slop in the receiver (1/2" pin in a 5/8" hole)? I've not tried any of my old III and IV hitches, I just bought a 3" tow bar and ball setup (Class V).

Back