Winter traction devices aka tire chains

I certainly don't envy you guys having to deal with stuff like that. Though the country up there with leaves changing colors is quite beautiful.

Question though, are chains required? Is one unable to get to certain areas without chains? Thought the stock tires were pretty good in the snow.
For the most part it’s all about dealing with ice. A lot of the mountain roads around my camp are no/limited winter maintenance dirt roads. A few snowstorms worth of snow with people driving on them and snowmobiling on them packs the snow tight. One day above freezing or even enough sun and then another drop in temps will turn that shit to a hockey surface fast. At that point you need studs or chains without them you are SOL. My neighbor at my last camp who lived up there year round kept his newer F-150 at the bottom of the mountain near than paved road and ran an “OJ style” bronco with chains all around to get back and forth to his house. ?

For the most part it’s all about dealing with ice. A lot of the mountain roads around my camp are no/limited winter maintenance dirt roads. A few snowstorms worth of snow with people driving on them and snowmobiling on them packs the snow tight. One day above freezing or even enough sun and then another drop in temps will turn that shit to a hockey surface fast. At that point you need studs or chains without them you are SOL. My neighbor at my last camp who lived up there year round kept his newer F-150 at the bottom of the mountain near than paved road and ran an “OJ style” bronco with chains all around to get back and forth to his house. ?
Gotcha, I had a bad experience with black ice once and cruise control...I had a Chevy Silverado for 4 days before totalling it in Idaho due to the afore stated reason.

Sweet Bronco!

Finally did some test fitting of the V-bars. The fronts are tightest on the mud guards and radius arms when turning. Think they will be OK if don’t get too throttle happy.
DEA5DBD9-1D6D-4B6C-A677-164A9625BB65.jpeg
37FA5E47-1C53-43BA-9A59-EF267B0F8CA4.jpeg
AE2B8EE2-FF0A-480F-9282-64DA436C809B.jpeg
8A9812E7-2694-4A2B-BEAC-BF42EA75AD14.jpeg

Wanted to go to Yosemite this weekend but my wife noticed that several areas required tire chains. We pushed the trip back a few weeks but I went ahead and ordered these:

Lots of good reviews on Amazon and they are class S. I haven’t had a chance to use them yet but I installed them on the truck and they clear all the brake lines/calipers, etc. I didn’t have anyone around to roll the truck and turn the wheel so I only have straight ahead photos.

Please keep the teasing to a minimum regarding the installation. This is my first time.

View attachment 9150View attachment 9151View attachment 9152View attachment 9153View attachment 9154
Do you have to be an engineer to put them on? Did you go on your trip yet?

For anyone that actually cares. The manual says no chains on Tremor size wheels/tires.
Says that on many new trucks with larger tires, Ford is covering their but on clearance issues from the larger tires. Unfortunately some of us have a need for them and if very conscious about getting them adjusted properly can run them in a pinch. There is always a chance of issue if not installed tightly. Even if installed and tightened properly a chain can break catching a fender, or worse yet a break line. After testing my chains think the risk of damaging the truck with chains for me is much much less than going off a steep icy mountain trail. For me thy are a emergency only thing where the truck needs the extra traction to get out of a scary situation.

Yeah .. theres a few things they don't sell here in Florida. Chains are one of them. That Anti-Gel stuff for Diesels, thats probably another .. idk. Come to think about it, I've never winterized an RV or Boat .. Nope, noth'n .. It must suck wearing long pants and a jacket for months and months on end .. LOL .. This doesn't mean you should visit Florida in January. It's still around 70*-75*. We've even had mornings dip into the 40's & 50's .. Thats some brutal shit there .. Thank god my truck has a heated Steering Wheel ..

What are these chains y'all are speaking of?
View attachment 13798
LOL they are what saves your life when you are hauling out an elk in the middle of nowhere. We got a bad snow storm while hunting in October. My poor ol Tremor was rendered useless.

"LOL they are what saves your life when you are hauling out a moose"

FIFY - Lived in Alaska, grew up in Wisconsin and mountains of Washington. :)

The wife is allergic to snow so I don't anticipate buying chains.
That said I will anyway because I like being prepared and I've been in mud where they definitely would have made life a lot less stressful.

For anyone that actually cares. The manual says no chains on Tremor size wheels/tires.
I read that too. But I don't know why.

Do the Tremor tires have the mountain symbol for extreme winter conditions?

"Yes, the Duratracs are a top rated winter tire."

Pretty sure that assertion won't cut the mustard with the CHP.
When they say 'Chains Required' it's not open to debate.
In Alaska I only ever saw 'Wheels Required'.

"Yes, the Duratracs are a top rated winter tire."

Pretty sure that assertion won't cut the mustard with the CHP.
When they say 'Chains Required' it's not open to debate.
In Alaska I only ever saw 'Wheels Required'.
They are pretty good for non studded tires but in the hills are no replacement for chains. The Duratracs will still slide on icey trails/roads where chains will get much better traction and why probably required in may areas when towing on steeper grades during icy roads.

Back