Winter traction devices aka tire chains

Watching this!

I've been close to screwed at least twice in the last year getting to snowmobiling areas, ready to get chains. And, of course, by the time it's bad enough to install the conditions are terrible so ease of installation is a strong consideration.

Watching this!

I've been close to screwed at least twice in the last year getting to snowmobiling areas, ready to get chains. And, of course, by the time it's bad enough to install the conditions are terrible so ease of installation is a strong consideration.

+1 on ease of installation being key. Conditions out here in CA generally aren't that bad. CA DOT can require you have chains with you even with snow tires and 4wd so that's primarily my concern.

On my 2018 250 with 20" wheels (275/55R20 tires?) the manual says no chains at all and to use SAE Class S low clearance chains on 18" wheels.

I'd prefer big heavy duty chains on the (soon arriving) Tremor, if they'll fit. But my snow tire/wheel combos are the ones off my 18 factory 20s with factory sized studded snows.

I've had to use chains many times in my life to go places i know I shouldn't have been going and get to get out of some bad situations. But to tell you the truth the older I get the more I realize that if I need chains.............. it's time to put another log in the fire, make some hot chocolate and stay home. At the very most I pressure down my tires and use 4x4 these days.

What chains are you guys using with the factory tremor wheel/tire setup?

V-Bar ice diggers from tirechains.com

Attachments

• DEBF5028-0567-4A9B-B773-D468B21B35DB.jpeg
    DEBF5028-0567-4A9B-B773-D468B21B35DB.jpeg
    395.8 KB · Views: 641
Is there enough clearance up front for a set?

Have had a few occasions where having traction with rear chains but no steering caused a problem. (Cherokee and F150).

Is there enough clearance up front for a set?

Have had a few occasions where having traction with rear chains but no steering caused a problem. (Cherokee and F150).
I have 1.5” between the front wheel fully turned and factory mud flaps. You can always go cable chains on the front if you think clearance is an issue. They still make a nice difference for steering.

I am in the process of fitting some Viking V bars by Quality Chain Corp . I am going to try and run all 4, initial look shows the front will be close but has more clearance than my Suburban does on the front. I am using the same style of chains on the front of the heavy weight Burb with no major problems and are really close but just clear when running. Will post what I find after testing. I try to only use chains on the way out if possible. If the jewelry is needed on all 4 to get in, then I should be looking to use the RZR to get the rest of the way to the spot.

Finally some snow in the mountains here. Didn't lose traction once on the fresh snow and ice. Very happy with the stock Goodyear's for winter traction.
PXL_20201108_232859789.jpg

Wanted to go to Yosemite this weekend but my wife noticed that several areas required tire chains. We pushed the trip back a few weeks but I went ahead and ordered these:

Lots of good reviews on Amazon and they are class S. I haven’t had a chance to use them yet but I installed them on the truck and they clear all the brake lines/calipers, etc. I didn’t have anyone around to roll the truck and turn the wheel so I only have straight ahead photos.

Please keep the teasing to a minimum regarding the installation. This is my first time.

D2252EC2-95E0-4BD9-8B32-9724949A9F36.jpeg
ACE1A043-F064-41A2-99AA-077A2E3DC59C.jpeg
90CB4536-525E-4350-ADA4-33B2AF95541A.jpeg
E8C0762D-0C8E-4926-A076-E2CC42531688.jpeg
2F793232-F3D4-44DD-90A7-9EBE99E055C6.jpeg

They were $165/pair on Amazon. There was a similar set on etrailer.com that was a bit cheaper but the Amazon shipping was a lot faster.

I certainly don't envy you guys having to deal with stuff like that. Though the country up there with leaves changing colors is quite beautiful.

Question though, are chains required? Is one unable to get to certain areas without chains? Thought the stock tires were pretty good in the snow.

I certainly don't envy you guys having to deal with stuff like that. Though the country up there with leaves changing colors is quite beautiful.

Question though, are chains required? Is one unable to get to certain areas without chains? Thought the stock tires were pretty good in the snow.

There are definitely time when chains are required, but not your normal situations. If you need chains on major roads the roads are already closed, but when climbing into or descending from the mountains for snowmobiling (and maybe skiing) things can get out of hand quickly. It doesn't happen often, but luck favors the prepared!

Last year I was caught on an ice sheet of a road with a river running down it, with a sled trailer behind me. After giving up on the trip it took an hour to turn around before crawling down the mountain in 4lo+1st. With chains on truck and trailer it would have been much safer and faster, and we'd probably have gotten to our destination.

Depends a lot on weather at the time. I had a couple of close calls due to icy mountain trails without excessive amounts of snow that were dry when heading in in the morning. These trucks are heavy and need all the help they can get when it is steep and icy. Some of the mountain passes also will require chains when towing on the highway/interstate. Thankfully the trails this year were in good enough shape where I hunt they weren’t needed during hunting season. Conditions can change fast and for me they are a necessity since they can be the difference between getting home and needing lots of repairs or worse.

I actually haven’t tried the truck in snow yet. California mandates chains in certain areas when snow is present (like Yosemite) so I don’t have a choice if I want to visit the park in the winter.

Back