Winter fuel additives

Tremor2020

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F-350 Lariat Tremor 6.7
I was doing some research and want some user input. What are some of the anti gel fuel additives you are using for extreme cold? I usually garage my truck but when I go to the cabin it gets below -20 often. Last time we hit -37 and I went into limp mode because of the gel up.

Thoughts?

I was doing some research and want some user input. What are some of the anti gel fuel additives you are using for extreme cold? I usually garage my truck but when I go to the cabin it gets below -20 often. Last time we hit -37 and I went into limp mode because of the gel up.

Thoughts?
I use opti-lube in my 6.7 and my 4-53 Detroit powered snocats with no issues so far.

Thoughts?
I run Hotshot’s winter anti gel and haven’t had any issues since purchasing my truck in 2020.

Lucas Oil anti-gel

Standyne

Thoughts?
Is this in Celcius or Fahrenheit?

Is this in Celcius or Fahrenheit?

At that temp, it doesn't really matter. degF & degC are pretty close to the same down there. Non-winter blend fuel can start to act up anywhere below 32F

-20F = -28.88C
-37F = -38.33C

We rarely get below 0degF here and the stations switch to winter fuel around October. I keep a bottle of Power service Red bottle on hand and if the forecast calls for sustained temps below 0degF I use some Power Service White bottle for extra insurance. I work for a large construction company with maybe 30 dump trucks/semis on the road and about 100 pieces of heavy equipment. We use Power Service White bottle on everything when it gets real cold.

Diesel newbie. I’m in Georgia, doesn’t get that cold here during the winter. We are expecting a cold spell over the weekend with high temps expected to be in the 20’s, overnight lows in the teens. My truck is parked in my detached garage where I doubt it will even get to 32 inside. I’m going to be gone over the weekend, so I will not be driving or starting my truck. Should I add a diesel additive to prevent gelling?

Diesel newbie. I’m in Georgia, doesn’t get that cold here during the winter. We are expecting a cold spell over the weekend with high temps expected to be in the 20’s, overnight lows in the teens. My truck is parked in my detached garage where I doubt it will even get to 32 inside. I’m going to be gone over the weekend, so I will not be driving or starting my truck. Should I add a diesel additive to prevent gelling?
You should be fine with thoseTemps, if you're worried then throw some Howes or ps in your tank shouldbe able to find them at any gass station.. We are looking at -40 here tomorrow.

Probably worth it to add something cheap insurance if nothing else. Worst case scenario is you waste a couple buck vs having to replace filters.

Probably worth it to add something cheap insurance if nothing else. Worst case scenario is you waste a couple buck vs having to replace filters.
Yeah I agree, he won’t gell up at those temps, but the additive won’t hurt. On my diesel trucks I only ran it when it was in the teens or lower consistently.

Yeah I agree, he won’t gell up at those temps, but the additive won’t hurt. On my diesel trucks I only ran it when it was in the teens or lower consistently.
I run Optilube XPD year round with the stronger dose when fall hits. I mainly want it’s other benefits but it preventing gelling is a bonus just in case.

You never know if you go on a trip south and they don’t have winter blend diesel or an extra cold front pushes through. Better safe than stuck on the side of the road or limping down the road.

So I had 3/4's of a tank of diesel, mostly from Casey's who has a cold weather commitment stamped on their pumps (probably an 8th of a tank was from Costco - supposedly Top Tier, whatever that means). Every fill up I add HotShots EDT.

This last fill up I switched to HotShots EDT Winter and drove it for a dozen miles or so. With -9F + wind this morning I had the truck idle a good 15 minutes and had it plugged in over night. When I went to drive to work+babysitter I couldn't break 20MPH due to a low fuel pressure error over the whole 75 minutes the truck was on.

The only Tremor I saw this morning was from the laughter in minivans as I pulled over to let them pass. Any suggestions? I'm tempted to run out to the parking lot and toss another dose of the Hotshot EDT Winter in and let it idle for 20 minutes.

So I had 3/4's of a tank of diesel, mostly from Casey's who has a cold weather commitment stamped on their pumps (probably an 8th of a tank was from Costco - supposedly Top Tier, whatever that means). Every fill up I add HotShots EDT.

This last fill up I switched to HotShots EDT Winter and drove it for a dozen miles or so. With -9F + wind this morning I had the truck idle a good 15 minutes and had it plugged in over night. When I went to drive to work+babysitter I couldn't break 20MPH due to a low fuel pressure error over the whole 75 minutes the truck was on.

The only Tremor I saw this morning was from the laughter in minivans as I pulled over to let them pass. Any suggestions? I'm tempted to run out to the parking lot and toss another dose of the Hotshot EDT Winter in and let it idle for 20 minutes.
From what I understand you need to double the dose when it goes below 0 with the winter edt opposed to just the anti gel. I am headed up north to the cabin for the holidays and it’s been between -30 and -50 so fingers crossed on hotshots. I’ll be packing a bottle of rescue just in case.

From what I understand you need to double the dose when it goes below 0 with the winter edt opposed to just the anti gel. I am headed up north to the cabin for the holidays and it’s been between -30 and -50 so fingers crossed on hotshots. I’ll be packing a bottle of rescue just in case.
I 100% did not double dose. I'll run out there and dump some more in and let it idle for a bit. Thanks!

I 100% did not double dose. I'll run out there and dump some more in and let it idle for a bit. Thanks!
1671805081181.png

Here is the dosing if you need.

Latest Discussions

Back