Winter 3PMS Tires or Duratrac’s For Canada Trip

Sometimes late December will be heading to Montana and then to Edmonton and possibly Ft McMurray across who knows what kind of remote snow and ice covered roads and I’m not exactly feeling the love about non 3PMS winter rated Duratrac’s

Options are sipping the stock Duratrac’s and calling it good

Or

Toyo ATIII’s or MIcky Thompson Baja Boss AT’s both are 3PMS severe weather rated

Going to stay with 35” tires, not upgrading to 37” tires

Been bouncing this around for a while now and the Toyo AT III’s are in the lead

Thoughts?
I double row studded my Duratracs when I picked my truck up from the dealership. I bought 20" wheels from Ford and put Michelin summer tires on those. Studs are the only way to go on ice.

I double row studded my Duratracs when I picked my truck up from the dealership. I bought 20" wheels from Ford and put Michelin summer tires on those. Studs are the only way to go on ice.
Anyone from "Moose Pass, Alaska" probably knows a thing or two about that!! Thank you!

Nokian does claim that the studded LT3's don't damage roads...based on their actual scientific testing and based on one Scandinavian country apparently agreeing with them and allowing their studded tires to be used in lieu of unstudied (but apparently not other types of studded tires).
The reason that I do not like studs is not because I care about roads, but because in most conditions they reduce the traction. They only help on hard ice. They are especially bad on wet pavement. The studs lift the rubber off of the road and let more water under the tire which is very bad. On dry pavement they take load off of the rubber because the studs are supporting some of the weight. Rubber on pavement is much stickier than steel on pavement. With a modern 3PMS tire with high silica compound and highly sipped, the studs will only help a couple percent of the time and reduce traction most of the time.

The reason that I do not like studs is not because I care about roads, but because in most conditions they reduce the traction. They only help on hard ice. They are especially bad on wet pavement. The studs lift the rubber off of the road and let more water under the tire which is very bad. On dry pavement they take load off of the rubber because the studs are supporting some of the weight. Rubber on pavement is much stickier than steel on pavement. With a modern 3PMS tire with high silica compound and highly sipped, the studs will only help a couple percent of the time and reduce traction most of the time.
I am on the same wavelength on studs. They definitely have their place if you do lots of driving on constant ice, probably one of the best options for those conditions. Personally prefer a good non studded winter tire over studs and do a fair amount of driving to skii hills. The gains on the hill don’t outweigh the trade offs for majority of the driving to get there. I might be biased since running Nokian WR G4s on the wife’s car and 3PMS tires on the Tremor.

I don’t like paying taxes for constant road replacement. Studs definitely accelerate that process.

I swapped my Duratracs for a set of Falken Wildpeaks. Was very happy with them on my F150 last Winter.

As far as the stud discussion goes, all I know is that I am a stud and I have no negative impact on road wear ;)

Back