Winter 3PMS Tires or Duratrac’s For Canada Trip

Wait, MT’s in the winter? Other than deep snow aren’t MT’s one of the worst options for winter driving?
Yes they are horrible in icy snow packed roads. MT’s are fine off-road on a trail in the snow, but youll slide and skid through that packed slippery intersection.

Reactions: Gus
MT’s suck on Icy roads it’s like using rollerblades on a hockey rink

I’m not worried about knee deep snot but a thin layer of ice and snow and ice that make it hard to stand and walk on

At the same time I’m not getting winter dedicated tires as those are the best on icy roads
MT=Mickey Thompson, not mud terrain

Yes they are horrible in icy snow packed roads. MT’s are fine off-road on a trail in the snow, but youll slide and skid through that packed slippery intersection.
See above post. I have MT Baja Boss

Reactions: ccw
Ohhh my bad lol. Hooray for acronym soup. :p
Don't feel bad, I was with the idea we were discussing Mud Terrain too. So, for future discussions I'll use M/T for Mud and MT for Mickey T's.

See above and above that
83C4DF95-81D2-4F7C-B7BE-B1FA81388AC7.jpeg

My fault for the misunderstandings. I presumed everyone would know that mud terrain tires are not suitable for the purpose and the OP discussed the Baja Boss AT and that further discussion would be about that.

My fault for the misunderstandings. I presumed everyone would know that mud terrain tires are not suitable for the purpose and the OP discussed the Baja Boss AT and that further discussion would be about that.

You need to charge your cellular device before it dies 😁

Lots of misunderstandings when abbreviations are used and they are not the common ones

And by the way, the “MT Baja Boss A/T” are really good in the snow and ice.
I run 50 psi front and 45 psi rear when I encounter said conditions.

Reactions: Gus
And by the way, the “MT Baja Boss A/T” are really good in the snow and ice.
I run 50 psi front and 45 psi rear when I encounter said conditions.

From what I’ve learned Baja Boss AT that’s 3PMS rated is a superb tire both on road and off & it’s winter performance rivals dedicated winter tires.

I run 50/50 psi year round

Perfect example of the icy roads we have to deal with no snow to speak about but the road is as slick as greased snot

Last edited:
Perfect example of the icy roads we have to deal with no snow to speak about but the road is as slick as greased snot

View attachment 105095
Forget what the tire "looks like", forget any 35 x12.5, and get a true WINTER TIRE for roads like that. ......" I know my truck is in the ditch,,, but my tires look good"

From what I’ve learned Baja Boss AT that’s 3PMS rated is a superb tire both on road and off & it’s winter performance rivals dedicated winter tires.

I run 50/50 psi year round
Now they just need to offer in the 285/75-18. I may be in the minority but prefer the “pizza cutters” for ice and off-road. The prior ATZs were one of my favorite AT tires on previous pickups. Looks like the new Baja Boss AT doesn’t disappoint either.

Forget what the tire "looks like", forget any 35 x12.5, and get a true WINTER TIRE for roads like that. ......" I know my truck is in the ditch,,, but my tires look good"

Like I’ve said before not going to get a dedicated winter tire it’s just not going to happen

Thus a 3PMS rated one as it’s the next best thing going

We had RWD station wagons growing up (70’s) and ran studded winter tires on roads like this as well as snow and they worked great but I’m not wanting the expense of dedicated winter tires or the storage issues

Now they just need to offer in the 285/75-18. I may be in the minority but prefer the “pizza cutters” for ice and off-road. The prior ATZs were one of my favorite AT tires on previous pickups. Looks like the new Baja Boss AT doesn’t disappoint either.
I too prefer the stock size. I don’t want aftermarket rims as I love the look of these factory ford rims, and the fact they don’t fling crap all over my truck because they have the proper offset. I also don’t want to get a different spare tire and reprogram my speedometer. I drive through some nasty seasonal roads during hunting season and this size tire has been fine. My only complaints about the duratrac are the weak sidewalls and they are so loud, my son sits in the back seat and I can’t hear him talk when I’m driving, they sound like a wore out super swaper bogger. I’m dreading my trip to northern Ontario this coming July with these tires, mainly due to the noise.

Like I’ve said before not going to get a dedicated winter tire it’s just not going to happen

Thus a 3PMS rated one as it’s the next best thing going

We had RWD station wagons growing up (70’s) and ran studded winter tires on roads like this as well as snow and they worked great but I’m not wanting the expense of dedicated winter tires or the storage issues
Pull the trigger on some stock sized falken wildpeak at 3w’s and post a review.

Latest Discussions

Back