Winter 3PMS Tires or Duratrac’s For Canada Trip

Looking at the top 2 3PMS contenders

37” Toyo are lighter and about $15 cheaper than 305/70 Mickey Thompson for some reason and they are both made in the USA

Did not really want 37’s but lighter and cheaper the only downside is needing 5 wheels/tires and taking up bed space for the spare

14350017-8095-4ACC-8480-CA71E079F046.jpeg461E9306-DAAA-485F-B1FC-08F5536A6C01.jpeg

Last edited:
Go for a set of 3PMS tires. Sipping only gets you half way there. As I understand it, 3PMS tires use a high silica compound. The silica acts like billions of micro studs.

Actual studs suck 98% of the time. They significantly reduce traction on wet roads. They really only help on glare ice. Most of the time they are hurting you.

Been looking at Nokian Outpost AT for winter traction with 3PMS. They come in stock tremor size and Nokian has a reputation for winter traction. Not the best looking tires, but hoping they're better than stock '22 tires for winter.

Been looking at Nokian Outpost AT for winter traction with 3PMS. They come in stock tremor size and Nokian has a reputation for winter traction. Not the best looking tires, but hoping they're better than stock '22 tires for winter.

Nokian tires are a Finnish company and they had an R&D facility in Russia where they developed state of the art winter tires

Who knows if they still have that facility or not given world events

I'm happy w/ the Falkens so far this winter. New Nokians would be great too I'd bet.

According to Nokian's website those tires are out of production: https://www.nokiantyres.com/summer-tires/nokian-tyres-outpost-at/

Also on their site, Nokian's tire selector (going by size) doesn't provide any results for the Tremor factory size, unfortunately. :(

According to Nokian's website those tires are out of production: https://www.nokiantyres.com/summer-tires/nokian-tyres-outpost-at/

Also on their site, Nokian's tire selector (going by size) doesn't provide any results for the Tremor factory size, unfortunately. :(

Was looking at the US website.

Tire opinions are so subjective. I've had people tell me mud tires are the best you can use for snow and ice. Um, yeah.....

I live where they get something like 40 FEET of snow a year. All the law enforcement pickups and large SUVs use Duratracs and they get around just fine all winter. I also have two neighbors that left the stock Tremor tires on and they get around fine too. Leave the tires on your truck, throw some sandbags in the bed and you'll be fine.

Or if you want the best of the best and to make 100% sure you're as prepared as you can be, buy snow tires. But then it'll be sunny and wont' snow. Haha.

Just to throw this in. My Tremor Duratracs are E-rated and the Duratracs I used to run on my 1999 Wrangler TJ were C-rated. Big difference in stiffness and sidewall flex between the two. I haven’t had snow to run the Tremor’s Duratracs in yet.

Tire opinions are so subjective. I've had people tell me mud tires are the best you can use for snow and ice. Um, yeah.....

I live where they get something like 40 FEET of snow a year. All the law enforcement pickups and large SUVs use Duratracs and they get around just fine all winter. I also have two neighbors that left the stock Tremor tires on and they get around fine too. Leave the tires on your truck, throw some sandbags in the bed and you'll be fine.

Or if you want the best of the best and to make 100% sure you're as prepared as you can be, buy snow tires. But then it'll be sunny and wont' snow. Haha.
That is unfortunately true. Years ago drew a hard to get Elk permit and went out and got mud tires to ensure I could get around the trails during the rain and early snow. Didn’t get any moisture during the season. They were OK on snow and ice after getting them siped but not as good as a AT all around. For the OP if you are passing through my neck of the woods please don’t get snow tires, I want to see more snow :ROFLMAO:.

Quite honetly i'm happy with the duratec tires on my 21 in the winter and just chuck into 4x4 mode with slipery / snow mode engaged and they are just fine where i live in NWT which is territory above alberta where roads are always snow covered and plows dont run at night here and not uncommon to be bombing down the highway at normal speed with over 4" of snow on the road but then again i'm used to the weather enviroment up here.

LOOK AT THAT !!! Didnt thnk a Nokian was available in the stock size. Pretty much a GUARANTEE,,, You're NOT beating a Nokian in the snow PERIOD !

Oh whoops! That is interesting, then! That might be a top candidate for my next set of tires in a few years.
Looks like they make them in our size, I just can’t find any specs on that tire in our size, might be worth a look.

Reactions: ccw
LOOK AT THAT !!! Didnt thnk a Nokian was available in the stock size. Pretty much a GUARANTEE,,, You're NOT beating a Nokian in the snow PERIOD !
I did have a set of Nokian on our Expedition and liked them a ton! As far as snow tires, I wholeheartedly agree that they are the tire beat if your trying to be number one for winter tires.

Quite honetly i'm happy with the duratec tires on my 21 in the winter and just chuck into 4x4 mode with slipery / snow mode engaged and they are just fine where i live in NWT which is territory above alberta where roads are always snow covered and plows dont run at night here and not uncommon to be bombing down the highway at normal speed with over 4" of snow on the road but then again i'm used to the weather enviroment up here.
Do you have the 3PMS DuraTracs or non-3PMS? You have a 21MY so it could go either way.

Reactions: Gus
Hi Gus, I've had some experience around Edmonton during the winter months and it's no joke. They go to Montana to warm up...

Definitely want the 3pms tires. Places in Canada require them. Actually, given the time of year, your choice might be between 3pms and a dedicated snow tire (like blizzak), if you can even find one for our trucks, I'm not sure.

I am running the MT Baja Boss and am very happy with them in the snow. Everything from packed snow, light snow to deep snow it has handled very well. I have no experience with the Toyos. The Falkens are a good choice as well.

Good luck on your trip! Drive safe and drive slow. Black ice won't care what tires you have. And don't forget chains. When it's icy....well you know.
They don't make Blizzak's in 35"; My internet surfing of various sites tend to support Toyo AT3's as our best choice; I'm thinking hard on getting a set. The Duratrac's sure are nice off-road, so I guess I'll be switching back and forth by season :(

They don't make Blizzak's in 35"; My internet surfing of various sites tend to support Toyo AT3's as our best choice; I'm thinking hard on getting a set. The Duratrac's sure are nice off-road, so I guess I'll be switching back and forth by season :(
That's what I do. Use the DTs in the summer and MTs in the winter.

Wait, MT’s in the winter? Other than deep snow aren’t MT’s one of the worst options for winter driving?

MT’s suck on Icy roads it’s like using rollerblades on a hockey rink

I’m not worried about knee deep snot but a thin layer of ice and snow and ice that make it hard to stand and walk on

At the same time I’m not getting winter dedicated tires as those are the best on icy roads

Back