Winch shifts entire plate and bumper when pulled in tight

jrhaze

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
When I pull my winch in tight against the fairlead or winchplate or whatever you want to call it the entire winch moves. And the entire bumper if I give it a little extra bump.

Is this normal?

I tried to attach a short video. I didn’t capture the extra pull shifting the entire bumper - I will try to get a better video.

Any feedback from those more experienced with winches than me (likely most people qualify here) is appreciated it!

Attachments

• IMG_1549.MOV
    3.5 MB
Looks like poor installation job - shouldn’t shift at all. Who installed it?

The plate that holds the fairlead is not thick enough. You really have to inch it in the last little bit.
Does it make sense that it would move the entire plate and bumper? Like the entire plate moves, it’s not bending. It sucks the plate in and exposes the wear on the bottom valance where it’s installed when it moves backwards and forwards.

The bolts were not torqued correctly!!!

I have used my winch close to 100 times. This is 100% not normal. Hope you never have to use it you may be in for a big shock in a heavy load situation or a light one who knows.

I really wish these were installed by Ford. 😭

I have used my winch close to 100 times. This is 100% not normal. Hope you never have to use it you may be in for a big shock in a heavy load situation or a light one who knows.
Ya I’ll be going back…I’m not sure how reassuring it is for me to have the same shop attempt to get it right after messing it up. I’ll see what they say and what my options are.

When I pull my winch in tight against the fairlead or winchplate or whatever you want to call it the entire winch moves. And the entire bumper if I give it a little extra bump.

Is this normal?

I tried to attach a short video. I didn’t capture the extra pull shifting the entire bumper - I will try to get a better video.

Any feedback from those more experienced with winches than me (likely most people qualify here) is appreciated it!
There was an earlier thread here about a year ago, I believe, where most of us had problems with the dealer install of our "factory purchased" winches. Your video shows the bolts weren't tightened correctly. It's not that hard to do, you can get under your truck with a couple of wrenches and start tightening everything connected to your bumper & winch. Just make sure the winch, winch plate, & bumper are in place before you start tightening things. Most of the bolts were loose on mine as well. After you do that, you'll want to run your line out & respool it under load, they don't get that right at the dealer either.

There was an earlier thread here about a year ago, I believe, where most of us had problems with the dealer install of our "factory purchased" winches. Your video shows the bolts weren't tightened correctly. It's not that hard to do, you can get under your truck with a couple of wrenches and start tightening everything connected to your bumper & winch. Just make sure the winch, winch plate, & bumper are in place before you start tightening things. Most of the bolts were loose on mine as well. After you do that, you'll want to run your line out & respool it under load, they don't get that right at the dealer either.
I’ll take a look thank you. Might save me a trip back which would be nice.

Back