winch or not?

WhiskyThrottle

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Military
retired
Current Ride
18’ GT350; 21'AMB F-350 Tremor
I like the idea of having a winch if I need it but I feel I could live without it. I was thinking to add it to the order and just ask the dealer not to install it and if it turns out I don't want it I could sell it. Does that sound reasonable?
I may just be thinking about this too much.
Opinions?

I like the idea of having a winch if I need it but I feel I could live without it. I was thinking to add it to the order and just ask the dealer not to install it and if it turns out I don't want it I could sell it. Does that sound reasonable?
I may just be thinking about this too much.
Opinions?
Go with the dual battery option and you can always add it later. Having the dual battery could prove to be handy at some point any way. I regret not getting that option.

Go with the dual battery option and you can always add it later. Having the dual battery could prove to be handy at some point any way. I regret not getting that option.
The 397A alternator is the only additional requirement with the 6.7 and that’s already included. I was thinking that the kit would be considerably more expensive adding it later if/when it comes out.

I couldn't justify the $3k for a winch. Outside of looking cool, I'd probably never use it even once

Is it necessary, no. Is it a cool option, yes! :cool: This option is no different than any of the numerous luxury options offered. As with most, they are added or deleted depending on funds/needs. Personally, I added the option. My philosophy is to buy once, cry once. Will I use it, most likely very rarely, but I can.;) I also doubt I will ever regret having a cool winch hanging off my bumper. Comes down to personal choice.

Is it necessary, no. Is it a cool option, yes! :cool: This option is no different than any of the numerous luxury options offered. As with most, they are added or deleted depending on funds/needs. Personally, I added the option. My philosophy is to buy once, cry once. Will I use it, most likely very rarely, but I can.;) I also doubt I will ever regret having a cool winch hanging off my bumper. Comes down to personal choice.
Well, that didn't take long. I was going to keep asking until I got and answer like this anyway..:sneaky:

Well, that didn't take long. I was going to keep asking until I got and answer like this anyway..:sneaky:
Guys like you are what I like most about this forum....its also why I a,m always broke...lol

That's a damn expensive option unless you see yourself having a legitimate need, but your coin not mine.

I'm still trying to talk myself down from a Platinum and its extra $4K-$5K (on my builds) simply because I love the specific grill, painted bumpers, and interior, so the need vs want thing is alive and well here on my end.

That's a damn expensive option unless you see yourself having a legitimate need, but your coin not mine.

I'm still trying to talk myself down from a Platinum and its extra $4K-$5K (on my builds) simply because I love the specific grill, painted bumpers, and interior, so the need vs want thing is alive and well here on my end.

I guess if I bought a new truck every 3-5 years, I would be more concerned about the initial cost and potential loss. My current ride is a 2000 F350, 7.3 and I am the original owner. My intentions are to keep this truck 10+ years so the cost per year on each option/luxury goes way down. So basically, I justified ordering the platinum and most options. ? Based on what I paid for the winch ($2,700) and keeping the truck only 10 years, it will cost me about $.74 cents a day for the option and/or peace of mind not to mention the “cool” factor. If it saves me even once from calling a tow truck, that cost would be dramatically reduced. Tell me any other option that has the potential to save you money? Pulling others out of a predicament is just a bonus.

In my case, I go far enough off the beaten paths with my wife and dogs and our pending slide in camper that a winch is like insurance. My current camping set up is a 4Runner and an off road teardrop style trailer- goes just about anyplace I can get the rig in to, and I have used the winch on that rig. I don't look for trouble but sometimes it finds me... I'll be doing much the same type of trails with my Tremor and camper. I go 100+ miles away from anything. If I get stuck it's all on me to do my own recovery.

Back