Winch installed, but I’m not impressed.

Kernaljonboy

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2006 GMC Canyon
Current Ride #2
2021 F-250 Tremor
So after waiting a week from picking up the truck the winch arrived at the dealership. They were quick to get my truck in and get the winch installed. After getting home with the truck I decided to check out and get familiar with the winch controls. First thing I noticed was how difficult it was to turn the clutch lever. So I looked close at it and it is rubbing against the bumper.
F230F8B4-0538-4F61-9BF2-5532E420DFE9.jpeg

After getting the clutch disengaged I started to pull out the line it would pull easy, then pull hard, then easy again for about 6 foot of line then it stopped completely, so I re-engaged the clutch and ran it back in with the motor. Then I disengaged the clutch and I was able to pull tall out by hand. That’s when I noticed that the line had a big snag in it.
401B1DDB-62A4-4C64-9731-155C59D5DA8F.jpeg
32740E9B-C9F3-4112-AD92-18E98F569D26.jpeg

I then ran it all back in and started to look over the install job from under the truck. That’s when I noticed why the line was jammed and snagged.
D0DF0C60-0C34-4487-B28C-BBC6F7B0FB99.jpeg
45497D49-3313-413E-81DF-F0256BD945E9.jpeg

Are the bolts supposed to be that long? Is something installed wrong?

Then I looked at where the power wires go.
B2E632F4-D470-4EA7-B544-9EDED23FA453.jpeg
20E1B3E0-A441-4BD6-B425-7612BA90B8EB.jpeg
BB3E70A4-8DB8-464C-9545-5F47100A7DEB.jpeg

It looks like they didn’t even try to make it look like a factory wired part. The ground wire can actually hit the ac compressor. WTF.
I will be returning to the dealership tomorrow morning to show them. I think I will just have them order me a new line but I will fix the other issues. They have shown me their skill level.

Bummer,

Thats why I will do my own install and just take my time. if I can even get the parts from the dealership.

I am sure they will fix you up. There are some mechanics that take pride in their work and one is here on the forum.

Bummer,

Thats why I will do my own install and just take my time. if I can even get the parts from the dealership.

I am sure they will fix you up. There are some mechanics that take pride in their work and one is here on the forum.
I asked about doing it myself it they said they had to do the install so that it would be covered under the warranty.

yep... looks like a poor effort on the install part... this is bound to happen when regular ford techs get to do these jobs and most of these techs will have never ever installed a winch before.

I asked about doing it myself it they said they had to do the install so that it would be covered under the warranty.
I don't care about the warranty they may or may not cover, Had it since April and just like how nice the winch fits into the bumper. I am concerned about the adaptive cruise with the winch. If the dealer would shoot me a deal on the install they can do it. But I will probably rework the wires if I don't like they way they do it. Large dealership and there are great mechanics there and others that don't give a shit and I don't have enough pull with them to get who I want working on it. I can tell you my winch set up in the Jeep was a pain in the ass. This is a much larger and heavier bumper set up so its going to be a work out and one that will require the right frame of mine, once I start.

yep... looks like a poor effort on the install part... this is bound to happen when regular ford techs get to do these jobs and most of these techs will have never ever installed a winch before.
When I dropped off the truck they said that they don’t know how long it will take because they haven’t done one before.
I dropped the truck off the night before so that they could have all day to do the install and they did take all day they called me an hour before they closed telling me that it is done. So it took a whole day to create this mess. ?‍♂️

So after waiting a week from picking up the truck the winch arrived at the dealership. They were quick to get my truck in and get the winch installed. After getting home with the truck I decided to check out and get familiar with the winch controls. First thing I noticed was how difficult it was to turn the clutch lever. So I looked close at it and it is rubbing against the bumper. View attachment 9592
After getting the clutch disengaged I started to pull out the line it would pull easy, then pull hard, then easy again for about 6 foot of line then it stopped completely, so I re-engaged the clutch and ran it back in with the motor. Then I disengaged the clutch and I was able to pull tall out by hand. That’s when I noticed that the line had a big snag in it. View attachment 9593View attachment 9594
I then ran it all back in and started to look over the install job from under the truck. That’s when I noticed why the line was jammed and snagged. View attachment 9595View attachment 9596
Are the bolts supposed to be that long? Is something installed wrong?

Then I looked at where the power wires go. View attachment 9597View attachment 9598View attachment 9599
It looks like they didn’t even try to make it look like a factory wired part. The ground wire can actually hit the ac compressor. WTF.
I will be returning to the dealership tomorrow morning to show them. I think I will just have them order me a new line but I will fix the other issues. They have shown me their skill level.
I would send your pictures directly to the owner of the dealership, bypass the people that don't matter in the resolve. Totally incompetent installation.

As far as bolt length, the minimum for a solid hold is 2 full threads past the end of the nut. 4 showing isn't unreasaonable.

I just sent this thread to my sales guy and said he better make sure they have a person that can do it the right way if not just leave the winch in the box in the back of the truck. I mean are the directions that bad or are we dealing with idiots? Come on Ford. I know I am going to lose my shit and it hasn't even happened yet.

The careless electrical and the condition of the winch rope would concern me. I would request the rope be replaced to make sure it has full load integrity.

Attachments

• 401B1DDB-62A4-4C64-9731-155C59D5DA8F.jpeg.jpg
    401B1DDB-62A4-4C64-9731-155C59D5DA8F.jpeg.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 22
The careless electrical and the condition of the winch rope would concern me. I would request the rope be replaced to make sure it has full load integrity.
That’s the main thing for me. I can fix all the other stuff and do a better job at it. I just don’t want to pay for another rope that I haven’t used yet.

Good god...

I do everything I possibly can on my own vehicles, and this reminds me why.

For every tech that takes pride in their work and actually gives a sheet, there's nine who are that mouth breather guy from HS who sat in the corner of the back row picking his nose and scratching his nuts.

It's scary to have a company come out with a brand new product. I ordered from a smallish dealership so I know for a fact I'll be one of the first winches to get installed there. Even a senior tech is going to learn from mistakes the first few times they do it. I wish I could wait a few months till I know they've practiced on a couple other Tremors, but it's the price I pay for wanting the newest and shiniest accessories.

It's scary to have a company come out with a brand new product. I ordered from a smallish dealership so I know for a fact I'll be one of the first winches to get installed there. Even a senior tech is going to learn from mistakes the first few times they do it. I wish I could wait a few months till I know they've practiced on a couple other Tremors, but it's the price I pay for wanting the newest and shiniest accessories.
I ordered mine from a small town dealership and they told me that they haven’t installed one before which I kind of figured when I bought the truck through them. It wouldn’t surprise me if this is the only one that they do. I just thought or was hoping that they would put more pride into their work. it seems like that is becoming more and more rare these days.

Latest Discussions

Back