Winch drum size & cable length?

Wanabxtrm

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Military
CG
Current Ride
F150 HD
So I just recently realized that the ford installed winch only has a 75’ rope. Curious for those that have one installed; if it appears that the shorter length is driven by the smaller design footprint and if they couldn’t fit a 100’ line?

Based on photos people posted it’s hard to tell.

Also it doesn’t look like warm/ford put any tubular webbing on for abrasion, which eats up some drum space.
(FYSA- Running the synthetic line thru one or two sets of 5-10’ x 1” tubular webbing provides readily available abrasion resistance on a rub point —similar to fire hose used for metal cable— and when stored on the drum adds a layer of UV/general protection over the first drum wrap; though it can and does strap water too)

Bumping this thread. Curious if folks with the winch can check and see if the winch appears maxed out, or could handle more rope.

Warn doesn't sell a replacement rope 70 feet long, and other brands (e.g. this Master Pull) don't necessarily offer it either. Could make replacing the rope a real pain in the future if it doesn't have some breathing room.

Bumping this thread. Curious if folks with the winch can check and see if the winch appears maxed out, or could handle more rope.

Warn doesn't sell a replacement rope 70 feet long, and other brands (e.g. this Master Pull) don't necessarily offer it either. Could make replacing the rope a real pain in the future if it doesn't have some breathing room.
Get replacement rope from Ford.

Get replacement rope from Ford.
Ya that's always an option, but just limits a person if you can only ever have the rope that came from the factory. Suppose I was a bit too dramatic in my first post lol. Not the end of the world by any means, just a downside.

There's some other companies out there with their own interesting takes on winch ropes and would be great to be able to personalize it. Heck, even just color could be a fun thing to personalize when it comes time to replace the rope.

Between the lower part of the bumper and the cross bolts for the winch itself, I think it would be tight to add a longer winch rope. A 75’ would more than likely fit but I think it would be too much to add a 100’ line to the factory winch.
I will take some photos of the clearance when I get back home.

Between the lower part of the bumper and the cross bolts for the winch itself, I think it would be tight to add a longer winch rope. A 75’ would more than likely fit but I think it would be too much to add a 100’ line to the factory winch.
I will take some photos of the clearance when I get back home.
Makes sense. Especially given the issues with the rope catching on the bolts before the instructions were adjusted.

Pictures would be amazing, thank you!

They aren’t the greatest pictures but I hope that they show how much room that there is.
1CF13093-8D6D-4DB8-9C31-0E834AF1830A.jpeg

Bottom side of the winch drum from under the truck looking forward there is very little gap between the rope and bumper.
072276C5-443F-45A8-8E2A-20585C23A6B5.jpeg

Top of the winch drum from under the truck looking forward.
03E8479B-1FBA-4329-A805-5455413266F1.jpeg

Looking through the fairlead at the winch drum. You can see the cross bolt for the winch is very close to the spool of rope and rubs against the rope as it is pulled out.

They aren’t the greatest pictures but I hope that they show how much room that there is. View attachment 24000
Bottom side of the winch drum from under the truck looking forward there is very little gap between the rope and bumper.
View attachment 24001
Top of the winch drum from under the truck looking forward.
View attachment 24002
Looking through the fairlead at the winch drum. You can see the cross bolt for the winch is very close to the spool of rope and rubs against the rope as it is pulled out.
Those are fantastic, thank you! And oof, they really did squeeze it in there. No way even one more wrap is going on the drum. That’s great to know.

Those are fantastic, thank you! And oof, they really did squeeze it in there. No way even one more wrap is going on the drum. That’s great to know.
Probably better off just to purchase an extension line if you need more than the 70’.

Probably better off just to purchase an extension line if you need more than the 70’.
This, in the jeep world you usually run 85' of rope on a 100' drum since you are not always pulling straight. Get all that extra rope off to one side and you'll bind up your winch.

This, in the jeep world you usually run 85' of rope on a 100' drum since you are not always pulling straight. Get all that extra rope off to one side and you'll bind up your winch.
Completely agree with that. It’s not that I’m wanting to run a massive amount of extra rope, and do intend on getting an extension, just that other options might be slightly longer with no option to go as short as 70 feet.

For example, this Master Pull rope only comes in 85 feet: http://www.masterpull.com/9-6mm-3-8-x-85-superline-xd-ultralite-winch-line-black-21-700-lbs/

The new Freedom Winch Line by Bleepin Jeep is 90 feet long with the last 8 feet doubled up when stowed: https://freedomwinchline.com/product/pre-order-only-freedom-winch-line/

I suppose since we’re talking synthetic line it’s possible to shorten the rope by cutting and splicing without losing strength, though.

Completely agree with that. It’s not that I’m wanting to run a massive amount of extra rope, and do intend on getting an extension, just that other options might be slightly longer with no option to go as short as 70 feet.

For example, this Master Pull rope only comes in 85 feet: http://www.masterpull.com/9-6mm-3-8-x-85-superline-xd-ultralite-winch-line-black-21-700-lbs/

The new Freedom Winch Line by Bleepin Jeep is 90 feet long with the last 8 feet doubled up when stowed: https://freedomwinchline.com/product/pre-order-only-freedom-winch-line/

I suppose since we’re talking synthetic line it’s possible to shorten the rope by cutting and splicing without losing strength, though.
Pick your poison

Pick your poison

Unfortunately that table doesn't really work for the Ford winch. While it's made by Warn, it's been customized and the clearances are different than any of the winches available directly from Warn.

Unfortunately that table doesn't really work for the Ford winch. While it's made by Warn, it's been customized and the clearances are different than any of the winches available directly from Warn.
Call them with the dimensions and I’m sure they’ll add it.

Appreciate your informative comments on this thread. I have a 2022 F350 Lariat 7.3L - UP - BAP - Tremor - Warn winch, etc. Carbonized Gray on order. BTW, if I am not mistaken, I think the Warn 12,000 LB winch designed for the Ford Super Duty is a modified Zeon 12-S. Think both the Zeon 12-S and Zeon Platinum 12-S have 80' 3/8" Spydura Pro Synthetic Rope.

Appreciate your informative comments on this thread. I have a 2022 F350 Lariat 7.3L - UP - BAP - Tremor - Warn winch, etc. Carbonized Gray on order. BTW, if I am not mistaken, I think the Warn 12,000 LB winch designed for the Ford Super Duty is a modified Zeon 12-S. Think both the Zeon 12-S and Zeon Platinum 12-S have 80' 3/8" Spydura Pro Synthetic Rope.
Good call-out! Though I don't believe it's actually based on the Zeon platform.

First, somewhere on the forum (I can't find it right now) someone linked to a source that the winch was based on one of Warn's discontinued models.

Secondly, @flafonta found out when trying to replace the winch rope that the way the rope is attached to the drum lines up with the non-Zeon instructions:

I unspooled it completely, and comparing to the Warn instructions (see image), it looks like the ones on the left (Non-Zeon) with the bolt not on the drum. (I was a bit disappointed it did not look like the Zeon for $3K).

You can cut any rope to size. It's pretty common that most winches need an odd/custom sized synthetic rope, especially once an anti-abrasion sleeve is added.

You can cut any rope to size. It's pretty common that most winches need an odd/custom sized synthetic rope, especially once an anti-abrasion sleeve is added.
Ah ok, neat. Didn't realize it was common to have to cut ropes down for winches.

Ah ok, neat. Didn't realize it was common to have to cut ropes down for winches.

Yeah, in my experience at least. And, for the OP, just carry a rope extension if you think you may need more than ~70' of reach some day. (I can't imagine you'd ever need to pull/spool more than 70'.)

Back