Winch & Adaptive Cruise - install issue?

Ford_Fan

Tremor Fanatic
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 Ford F-350 Tremor
So I got my Tremor (finally) last night after the dealer installed the winch. And this morning I was on the highway and tried to use the adaptive cruise. No error messages so the truck believes it's operating correctly but it's not "seeing" the car directly in front of me in my line while going straight. It actually continued to accelerate towards the car in front of me and never saw it.

When I got home I pulled the plastic trim off that side - the radar sensor is not seated properly. Now here's the thing, the connector to the sensor seems to be obstructed by metal behind the winch. The sensor can't seat on the pins properly and is slanted towards the left lane. That's why it couldn't see the cars in front. In the pictures you can see the sensor with the 2 pins on the bottom and an adjustable pin on the top, the connector on the back of the sensor and the cut-out in the metal of the winch frame and some metal behind that (this is what is blocking the connector).

Does anyone have the install instructions for the winch? I can't find it online. I have to believe Ford has a solution or the dealer didn't do the install properly but I hate to bring it to them and have the try again with no detail on what really needs to be done. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20201110_122532.jpg
    20201110_122532.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 368
  • 20201110_122540.jpg
    20201110_122540.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 271
  • 20201110_122735.jpg
    20201110_122735.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 271
Post #90

I’d be a little miffed about that. Clearly a poor install. Not how you want to cap off the final reception of such an expensive purchase.

Post #90
Thank you. I should have found that. Oops.

Unfortunately there is not a whole lot of detail on the cruise sensor as they call it. I'll have to read between the lines to see what is supposed to be behind the winch where this sensor connector is supposed to sit.

Anyway - dealer can get me in Friday. lol

I’d be a little miffed about that. Clearly a poor install. Not how you want to cap off the final reception of such an expensive purchase.
It's been a comedy of errors at this point. I'm hoping if I have all these problems up-front the truck will be rock-solid the rest of my ownership. Fingers crossed!

I still need to do an intro with proper pics.

I Plan to install a winch at some point hoping to get the factory one ( sounds like may not be available ) but I will do my own install and was concerned about the adaptive cruise.

so watching this thread.

I Plan to install a winch at some point hoping to get the factory one ( sounds like may not be available ) but I will do my own install and was concerned about the adaptive cruise.

so watching this thread.
I don't think you should worry. I figured out what they did wrong. From the instructions, step 8 says to remove and discard the cruse control module bracket. It appears they skipped this step and the bracket prevents the sensor from sitting properly.

2020-11-10 19_12_07-Warn Winch install.pdf and 20 more pages - Personal - Microsoft​ Edge.png

I've attached the pics from the other thread the hopefully make this clear. You can see the bracket in his box of removed parts. I am going to try to remove the bracket myself from under the front bumper. If I can't I'll let the dealer deal with it.

0E0BC3B7-97E9-4092-90D6-79EAA2B830F0.jpeg

The frame of the winch actually has the standoffs and threaded hole for the top bolt for the sensor to be mounted on. Now, as for calibration, I'm not sure. It appears the only calibration is up/down angle, not left to right. If I can remove the bracket and get the sensor mounted properly I will probably align in as near vertical as possible and test it (the vertical axis is adjusted by the top bolt).

F381213A-45FF-45D8-8D4A-C53B1BAF78BB.jpeg

Thanks

wish me luck getting the order in on one. Hopefully my Salesman can get it ordered for me. I am hopeful they can add it to another Tremor order if the parts guy can't place the order. I will even pay them to install if I have to. Hopefully I can do my own.

Let us know if/when you order one. Interested to see what the turn-around time is.

Let us know if/when you order one. Interested to see what the turn-around time is.
Same - checked with one parts dept and they could not find the winch in their systems. Would like to hear about someone actually ordering and getting one of these delivered or installed

We re calibrated mine and the other truck we did here before hand and have zero issues. Your sensor was obviously not mounted properly for whatever reason came off. I would highly recommend getting it done after the sensor is remounted

We re calibrated mine and the other truck we did here before hand and have zero issues. Your sensor was obviously not mounted properly for whatever reason came off. I would highly recommend getting it done after the sensor is remounted
Thanks - I'll ask about it when I bring it in on Friday. BTW - on your install, is the Y bracket secured to the winch via bolts? Here are pics from mine. I can't really tell from the PDF of the install manual in the winch thread if it's supposed to be bolted. I'm really concerned they did a half ass job on the winch install. There is another bolt for the Y bracket that is loose enough it moves around! :(

20201111_133323.jpg
20201111_133329.jpg
20201111_133336.jpg

Thanks - I'll ask about it when I bring it in on Friday. BTW - on your install, is the Y bracket secured to the winch via bolts? Here are pics from mine. I can't really tell from the PDF of the install manual in the winch thread if it's supposed to be bolted. I'm really concerned they did a half ass job on the winch install. There is another bolt for the Y bracket that is loose enough it moves around! :(

View attachment 9069View attachment 9070View attachment 9071
Yes there should be bolts in those holes!!! This is the crap that pisses me off to no end. I don't and won't ever understand why people do not do stuff right.. I would be up in sum body's ASS if that was my truck. Take my advise though, just go straight to the service manager and let him know. I hate to see this kind of work from anybody. Makes us all look bad.

I just went outside to take a picture for ya!! At this point I would want to take the bumper off and recheck the entire job to make sure
050E9ED4-010D-4FDF-B09F-88BF57A4501A.jpeg
528CC347-A4C3-45F3-931B-963CA33CC3BA.jpeg
92537DB8-0AD0-437A-AF72-3FF62E97D7A6.jpeg

The person even did a crappy job of doing a crappy job by not cutting the tie wrap flush after leaving the bolts out. This stresses me out, maybe they will just put my winch in the back seat and let me install it myself.

Ram has it figured out on the Power Wagons... Crazy to think Ford can't just knock these out BEFORE they hit the dealer...

The wiring harness is not ran the correct way! You don’t see any of the wires on my photos! It should be ran up under the fan shroud then back over to the passenger side and then up the shroud to the battery. ?‍♂️ ?‍♂️

The wiring harness is not ran the correct way! You don’t see any of the wires on my photos! It should be ran up under the fan shroud then back over to the passenger side and then up the shroud to the battery. ?‍♂️ ?‍♂️
Oh boy. Now I'm worried about bringing it to them. They actually told me that had to keep it an extra day when the install was being done so the right tech could work on it. I wonder what happens if the wrong one does it!

I'll try to talk with the service manager, show him the pics you've provide (thank you very much). But I'm already feeling like you said - that I need to take the bumper off and inspect everything myself. I really doubt they torqued the bolts to the specs. What is involved in removing the bumper and the proper torque for all bolts to reinstall?

The bumper is easy easy!! The bolts in front under the plastic covers and the 2 on each side in front of the tires and it comes right off with 1 connector under the left toe hook area

Back