Will a diesel make me happy?

Did a Power Stroke make you happier?

• Yes

• No

• Somewhat

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get the diesel. The 7.3 guys are snowed when they say powerstroke like power. The extra 500 ft lbs really moves this big ass truck. I’m not saying the 7.3 doesn’t motivate but it’s not the same for sure.
Has someone with a 7.3 tried to say it has PowerStroke like power? I’ve only ever seen it stated that it has either enough or more than enough power for the use case.

Has someone with a 7.3 tried to say it has PowerStroke like power? I’ve only ever seen it stated that it has either enough or more than enough power for the use case.
Yes. I am a member at FTE too. I’ve read that comment a couple times. Not trying to crap on the 7.3. Great engine but the 6.7 definitely brings the torque. Tows like a dream.

Expensive yes but it seems people think D.E.F. and more engine oil equals more problems. This is not my first diesel and I’d say the cost is higher ans slower warm ups and that’s about the only real issues I see.

" I’ve only ever seen it stated that it has either enough or more than enough power for the use case."

Towing my 8500 lb TT around the Rockies at 10,000' the Power Stroke's uphill power is jaw dropping to the point that I don't hesitate to pull out of a pullout into uphill traffic. If I see that I have a couple hundred yards I know I'll be up to the speed limit with room to spare. It even got a "Wow" out of the wife a couple of times and that's saying something.

Yes. I am a member at FTE too. I’ve read that comment a couple times. Not trying to crap on the 7.3. Great engine but the 6.7 definitely brings the torque. Tows like a dream.
Huh, crazy. I own a 7.3 and love it, but agreed that anyone arguing it has PowerStroke like power is crazy unless they're talking about an older PowerStroke.

" I’ve only ever seen it stated that it has either enough or more than enough power for the use case."

Towing my 8500 lb TT around the Rockies at 10,000' the Power Stroke's uphill power is jaw dropping to the point that I don't hesitate to pull out of a pullout into uphill traffic. If I see that I have a couple hundred yards I know I'll be up to the speed limit with room to spare.
Don't quite know why you quoted me for that lol. I fully believe you, and it's relevant to the thread, but doesn't seem to have any relevance to what I said? 🤷‍♂️

My take on the whole thing is that you buy what you want or need for your purpose, not because it has great gas mileage. I've owned diesels since 1987 where my first new diesel truck was an 87 F250 with a 6.9, absolutely gutless engine. Even after I added the ATS turbo kit. (Manual transmission) But the thing could literally pull an empty boat trailer up the side of a mountain. slowly... (Yes, I did that, nowhere to park at the launch ramp.) That was my upgrade from my 77 Ranchero (and former 72 Ranchero) that high centered on another launch ramp, decided I needed a real truck. I really enjoyed the torque the 6.9 had so when I needed another truck, I bought the 99 7.3 diesel, also manual, and was very happy with that upgrade! What an improvement over the 6.9. But time goes on, now the 6.7 was available and also time for another upgrade. The Tremor has at least twice the impressive performance of the 7.3 diesel. So yes, this one also makes me happy. I would probably be happy with the 7.3 gas as well, but after a long history of diesels, just seems to make sense to get another one. Thus far, I have never had a "major" problem with any of them, been very reliable and seem to last forever with at least 200K plus miles on every one of them, one of my main reasons to go with the diesel. Will I ever get another diesel down the road? Probably not, they will probably become extinct sometime in the near future as everyday drivers. Besides, the Tremor will most likely last until I need a Prius for good gas mileage anyway. :LOL: Enjoy those diesels while you can.

Herds*

Also, a quick Google search determined that was a lie...

View attachment 40447
You should not play with numbers. 2018 to 2019 California lost growth, then in 2020 to 2021 it barely grew at all. You have people having kids all the time and you should see growth but at 0.3%, I wouldn’t be trying to make a point that people aren’t leaving. The fact that California lost a delegate and almost a congressional seat alone proves what you’re trying to say is a lie alone. Don’t even need to go past that. We all know for a fact California has lost its growth rate because people are leaving.

Thanks guys.

I decided to go to therapy instead.
Ah yes .. the old .. what makes you happy gig .. Let us focus our images of happiness to a earlier time .. :unsure: .. when a girl, an iced down 12 pk and a big fat joint was all you really needed ..

I've been tuning my 7.3...its worth it. They have these things held back pretty bad.

Maybe that would help.
Care to elaborate on this?

Diesel or Gas ? My family makes me happy ,The out doors makes me happy, Hunting , Boating ,Snowmobiling ,Camping all make me happy . The Tremor is how I get to these happy places. What I drive and what engine it has does not equate to much unless It will not get me to my happy places. Reliability is most important and I think gas or diesel will do fine in these amazing Tremors. Now drive them up over and through any obstacles ,restrictions or interference to get there!

I left the dump trailer hooked up all week and brought 8k lbs of road rock home every day after work. Descending the steep twisty downgrade the first half of the trip I thought how glad I was to have bought the diesel. Climbing the steep twisty upgrade the second half of the trip I thought how glad I was to have bought the diesel. While cruising empty on the way to work in the mornings I never once even thought about what a gas engine would be like.

Happiness is a state of mind that can be achieved by choice. Through mental discipline one can choose to be happy regardless of material possessions or surrounding environment. When someone is quick to talk shit or bash others, that’s an obvious indicator that they are unhappy. Poor folks… it’s their choice. 😁

I am looking forward to the times and memories this new truck will be involved in. My family enjoys a lot of activities so whether it is carting the grandkids to a sport tournament or taking my 85 yr old father hunting or fishing or pulling my boat to the river that is what will make me happy.

Don’t politicize that junk you nerd. If anything all the parks and BLM land do more to keep me sane than any perceived freedoms you have somewhere else. Get off it.

Perceived freedoms like zero mask mandates, eating at a indoor sit down home style Buffett last night, no vaccine passport required?

No need for you to be so grumpy about living in the peoples republik of Kalif, just admit you love communism and embrace it

Didn't know it was an argument. Just not a fan. But then again. Fuel prices and a 55 mph truck speed. Kinda don't help my feelings for the state. Though no doubt it is beautiful.

Kalif is one of the most beautiful states, no argument at all, we were going to spend Christmas with family in the Long Beach area, but between the cost of gas & everything covid related they are demanding we ended up staying home. Now I know Kalif could care less & out few dollars does not matter at all, it’s just sad how the one time west coast rebellious anti government mindset is now embracing large government and wanting to be taken care of. It’s so very true how good times creates weak men

Just stumbled across this video, sounds like the guy lives at 6k or 7k feet ASL & has 39” tires on his Tremor and loves how much power it has in the mountains

The age old diesel Vs gas debate is as polarizing as the 9mm Vs .45 ACP debate & it boils down to personal feelings

Only your attitude will make you happy, if you go into things bitching and grumpy, nothing will make you happy

There are 5 things I love. God, my family, this country, freedom, trucks, and guns… and also taking politics and bashing a state that relied on other states to help fund its road repairs.

As awesome as the original topic is, can we change the topic hence forth and continue this.

I relive now though that I have yet to say anything on the original topic, so before we change it, I want to push my opinion on y’all and say why yours is wrong and why I’m right.

Diesel is superior because it comes factory with a decal.

Perceived freedoms like zero mask mandates, eating at a indoor sit down home style Buffett last night, no vaccine passport required?

No need for you to be so grumpy about living in the peoples republik of Kalif, just admit you love communism and embrace it
K.

I've been tuning my 7.3...its worth it. They have these things held back pretty bad.

Maybe that would help.
Yes info please. Hell my warranty is almost up. haha
Get the diesel. The 7.3 guys are snowed when they say powerstroke like power. The extra 500 ft lbs really moves this big ass truck. I’m not saying the 7.3 doesn’t motivate but it’s not the same for sure.
Yes it does really move these big ass trucks, .1 faster 0-60 and .1 faster in the 1320.
The 7.3 does have more power than the vaunted 7.3 diesel everyone raves about. I would wager better mileage as well.
Just stumbled across this video, sounds like the guy lives at 6k or 7k feet ASL & has 39” tires on his Tremor and loves how much power it has in the mountains

The age old diesel Vs gas debate is as polarizing as the 9mm Vs .45 ACP debate & it boils down to personal feelings

Only your attitude will make you happy, if you go into things bitching and grumpy, nothing will make you happy

Soop problem is not power. HIs problem is he lives in a small town in the back country of one the biggest tourist destinations in the nation. Small tight backroads with stop signs and hills everyplace with high traffic 6/7 days a week will kill mpg. On top of this 80% of his driving is towing something, I can see where 6mpg at $5 a gallon fuel cost can get aggravating!

As for the video above he's used the anemic tacoma power so the Tremor feels like 10 times more. haha. Having said that the 7.3 has the power to pull 20k lbs over the rocky mountain crests with ease, and lots of fuel!

With the stop and go traffic St. Helena probably would be not be best on the diesel. But If you only have it only for 50-100k miles or eventually buy one of those new Toll Brother modern marvels you would be good. Or better yet pick up 8 of these new pacaso homes all across the nation...idea?

Soop problem is not power. HIs problem is he lives in a small town in the back country of one the biggest tourist destinations in the nation. Small tight backroads with stop signs and hills everyplace with high traffic 6/7 days a week will kill mpg. On top of this 80% of his driving is towing something, I can see where 6mpg at $5 a gallon fuel cost can get aggravating!

That is all true but, just to be clear, I am *completely* satisfied with the Godzilla and this thread was in jest  —  ragging on ridiculousness in yet another 7.3 versus 6.7 debate thread yesterday.

The 7.3 and the 6.7 motors are both completely bonkers. And they’re damn near identical in power output in any practical application (I’m not stump pulling with my truck) at our elevation.

The 7.3 itself puts down nearly double the power of the last *heavy duty* turbo diesel dump truck. And I moved mountains, almost literally, with that truck.

These debates are completely irrational. As is thinking a motor will solve for happiness.

Last edited:
Or better yet pick up 8 of these new pacaso homes all across the nation...idea?

haha   –  you’d better hope this comment doesn’t make its way to the local Nextdoor. You’ll get cancelled quick!

(Not a bad idea though!) 🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions

Back