Why are 285/75R18 Duratracs Neutered?! Not studdable and not 3PMS like all the other sizes?

gsea

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
‘22 7.3L F350
I’ve noticed that the special “OEM sizes” of popular tires are often lacking the same features and certification as their standard-size counterparts.

Duratracs are all studdable and are 3PMS rated.... except in the 2-3 sizes that are OEM from certain manufacturers.

They also don’t publish all the specs on those sizes.

It’s apparent that it is a special size they wouldn’t have otherwise made, but for an OEM deal with the automaker, so I presume they do make them a bit cheaper by removing features like studdability.

But I can’t imagine they’d actually use a different rubber compound and tread pattern, the economics of that wouldn’t seem to make sense.

So, my guess is that the tires probably do perform the same as the other sizes from a 3PMS perspective, but in order to get that certification they have to certify every tire size independently, and Goodyear didn’t want to bother to go through the trouble or expense since it wasn’t really a tire they expect to sell outside of the OEM buyers.

Anyone familiar with the industry that can confirm this?

I’m really irritated that I now have to go buy tires for my new truck over a technicality, having been under the impression the OEM tires were already going to be solid and 3PMS magic snowflake rated to satisfy the HP this winter.

I’ve noticed that the special “OEM sizes” of popular tires are often lacking the same features and certification as their standard-size counterparts.

Duratracs are all studdable and are 3PMS rated.... except in the 2-3 sizes that are OEM from certain manufacturers.

It’s apparent that it is a special size they wouldn’t have otherwise made, but for an OEM deal with the automaker, so I presume they do make them a bit cheaper by removing features like studdability.

But I can’t imagine they’d actually use a different rubber compound and tread pattern, the economics of that wouldn’t seem to make sense.

So, my guess is that the tires probably do perform the same as the other sizes from a 3PMS perspective, but in order to get that certification they have to certify every tire size independently, and Goodyear didn’t want to bother to go through the trouble or expense since it wasn’t really a tire they expect to sell outside of the OEM buyers.

I’m really irritated that I now have to go buy tires for my new truck over a technicality, having been under the impression the OEM tires were already going to be solid and 3PMS magic snowflake rated to satisfy the HP this winter.

Ford changed Duratracs for some reason in 2021 as the older Tremors all has 3PMS tires and my dealer in Colorado said they had 3PMS and was surprised when they were not 3PMS o my 22

Only thing the dealer could figure out was Goodyear did this for a unknown reason and Ford agreed to the change

Some people speculate that it improves life of the tire & road manners when towing

Reactions: ccw

If you get bored check out this thread

Some 2020s had the stud holes with 3pmsf, 2021 just had the 3pmsf, 2022 had neither as goodyear unfortunately discontined the 285/75/18 with the 3pmsf. In the stock size ( which is the PERFECT size for winter use ) you have 4 choices for a 3pmsf tire in the stock size: TOYO AT3, FALKEN WILDPEAK, YOKOHAMA G015, NOKIAN OUTBACK.

Some 2020s had the stud holes with 3pmsf, 2021 just had the 3pmsf, 2022 had neither as goodyear unfortunately discontined the 285/75/18 with the 3pmsf. In the stock size ( which is the PERFECT size for winter use ) you have 4 choices for a 3pmsf tire in the stock size: TOYO AT3, FALKEN WILDPEAK, YOKOHAMA G015, NOKIAN OUTBACK.
Add the Mickey Thompson’s to that list.

I personally think it is likely an OEM spec kind of thing. I would wager FORD changed the spec and Goodyear followed to keep the contract.

Another possibility could be a production capacity thing. Maybe the factory that makes the 3PMS tires doesn't have the throughput to produce for the aftermarket as well as an OEM.

Either way, these trucks are getting what FORD has spec'd and that spec likely doesn't require the 3PMS or stud holes.

I heard it was because to many complained about the originals were to "squishy" on these big trucks, and that is why they are so good in the snow. So they went with a slightly harder compound, then of course people complain that they lost the snowflakes. Not sure how true it is, but sounds about right.

The non snowflake still do better than just about any AT does, but if you live where its required to see the symbol on the tire, you are outa luck.

I heard it was because to many complained about the originals were to "squishy" on these big trucks, and that is why they are so good in the snow. So they went with a slightly harder compound, then of course people complain that they lost the snowflakes. Not sure how true it is, but sounds about right.

The non snowflake still do better than just about any AT does, but if you live where its required to see the symbol on the tire, you are outa luck.
Could be something to that logic, too.

I spent the last week in all sorts of snow conditions and the Duratracs and have no issue with their performance. I just want the magic snowflake logo for the rare occasion that highway patrol wants to see it before they let you up the pass.

Last time, after some back and forth the guy seemed to conclude I wasn't a total knucklehead and that he wasn't likely to get a call about me being upside down in the median so he let me through anyway so he could focus on the nimrods behind me.

Not sure I'll be fortunate next time, so easier to just have the magic mountain picture.

Maybe I can just paint one on with a stencil....

Nor do the factory GY tires have 3ply sidewalls.

They are but they aren't neutered. Did anyone else see the weight rating on the factory size? It's an E rated tire rated at over 4,000 lbs. The other sizes don't have ratings that high. Coincidence?

Back