Why a 5th wheel? Why not a Travel Trailer

SuperNewbie

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
21 F350 6.7 FX4
Current Ride #2
08’ Cayenne S
I own a 38’ travel trailer toy hauler. The Travel trailer is a better fit for Us do To the amount of toys we needed to load up. The truck bed space is needed.

What made you choose a 5th wheel over a travel trailer?

I think you stated the biggest drawback to a 5th wheel : cant load stuff in the bed. The 5th wheel is nice for additional height inside and added stability. You can probably get a bigger 5th wheel than travel trailer (over 40' for 5th and most below 40' for tt. Hooking up to the 5th wheel is maybe a little quicker than bumper pull. Might get a little more underneath storage on a 5th if it has a drop frame. MPG is probably a little better on TT since its lower in height.

Me personally, I haven’t bought one yet, but I am slightly worried about overall length. I don’t have a lot of toys per say. But I have 4 kids. The 11’ garage with the bunks will sleep my older kids fine and the interior bunk for my little guy. The 5th wheel layout is more desirable in my opinion.

Travel trailer- can put the golf cart in bed of truck. Need toy hauler 5th wheel to bring the cart. That wouldn’t stop me but something to think about.

Travel trailer- can put the golf cart in bed of truck. Need toy hauler 5th wheel to bring the cart. That wouldn’t stop me but something to think about.
You can’t put the tailgate up with a golf cart in the bed and you can’t be attached to a TT with the tailgate down because it contacts the tongue jack.

I had to go with a travel trailer TH because a lot of the places I go camp and ride my dirt bikes are difficult to fir a 5th in due to the increased height, a lot of low lying tree branches etc. Having the bed available for stuff is a bonus but I do really like the 5th wheel layouts and they also seem nicer inside.

Went the fifth wheel route for the ceiling height, better stability while towing and perceived sturdier construction. Also felt like the floor plans were generally better in the fifth wheels. Not sure if they are actually any sturdier, but that was at least my thought process on it. The ceiling height though is was really did it for us. The wife and I walked through probably 20 tt’s and our sales person showed us one of the “half ton towable” fivers and we were sold on switching to a fifth wheel. Sold our 2020 F150 the next month and brought home an F350 tremor.

You can’t put the tailgate up with a golf cart in the bed and you can’t be attached to a TT with the tailgate down because it contacts the tongue jack.
Yeah I plan on taking tailgate off. Rear wheel should just fit in the bed. Rear seat and whatnot hanging over. It will be close...

Problem with a decent size 5th wheel is pin weight. Most will overload the payload on a tremor or not allow much payload for passengers.

I was looking at a 10000 lb 5th wheel with a pin weight of 2800 fur generator. My sticker is 2717. Even a light aluminum trailer exceeded my payload. Something to think about.

Travel trailer all the way. Need the bed (with camper shell) to hold the three-ring circus for the kiddos and all of our fishing gear.

Is it true you can have passengers ride/sleep in a fifth wheel legally while driving, but not a travel trailer?

Last edited:
Problem with a decent size 5th wheel is pin weight. Most will overload the payload on a tremor or not allow much payload for passengers.

I was looking at a 10000 lb 5th wheel with a pin weight of 2800 fur generator. My sticker is 2717. Even a light aluminum trailer exceeded my payload. Something to think about.
I thiught the tremor payloads were in the ~3,400’s?

We like National Forest, National Park, and State campgrounds. 5th wheels are just too big/tall for many of them. Also you generally need a bigger (aka dually) tow vehicle for a 5th wheel, unless it's a pretty small one, because of the payload. 5th wheels tow better with regard to sway, but you can use a ProPride or Hensley hitch with a travel trailer to get the same benefit.

TT for bed storage, I need my toys.

One of the best Travel Trailer style toy haulers is the ATC Brand. No wood in construction, very heavy duty suspension, 7'6" ceiling height, large holding tanks, truck tires and torsion suspension standard, dry weights are lighter than the average trailer of equal size. 20' -29' Travel Trailer lengths. Oh, and it's the brand Ford chose for their adds when the Tremor was first advertised. (y) https://aluminumtoyhauler.com/model/game-changer-pro-series/2816/
1616303018732.png
1616302128631.png
1616302163856.png
1616302258109.png
1616302424124.png
1616302479539.png
1616302702842.png

Last edited:
That's the trailer company I'm looking at but all the 5th wheels they have exceed my payload so bumper pull it will be. I guess the only good thing is I will spend about 60k less by not being able to choose one of their 5ers?.

That's the trailer company I'm looking at but all the 5th wheels they have exceed my payload so bumper pull it will be. I guess the only good thing is I will spend about 60k less by not being able to choose one of their 5ers?.
They are about the best thing out their. True cargo trailers with living quarters and amenities added.

For me, a TT or 5er does not matter but for the boss, comfort was a priority with the ceiling height and ready made bunk rooms. We also have utv,s to haul as well so we have a second truck to haul those around when camping with the toys. Its not ideal but we did not want a garage in the 5er since we do not always camp with the utv's. Since the 37ft 5er only maxes out at 14K gvwr and hitch weight of 2700lbs, the 7.3l gas gives us plenty of payload and pulls with ease, even here in the southwest mountains.

Back