Why 7.3 over 3.5 HO?

galljr13

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2017 Ford Raptor
I'm sure there is a good reason but why would they use an engine with less horse power and torque than the 3.5 HO Raptor engine? I get that its a V8 but I would like to see better numbers. What the reason behind the 7.3?

I'm certain that it is the way the power is delivered, among other lesser things.
My best guesses....
This will be very generalized:
The motors are engineered for two wildly different goals. A big heavy Clydesdale work horse vs a light and flighty Throughbred race horse.

The 7.3 is close to it's peak torque way low in the rpm scale....like 1500 rpms....and holds that amount of torque for a long period of time thru the rpm range. I need to find the dyno charts..... to compare the two.
That is exactly how you want a towing motor to deliver, so that it does not bog down at the slightest hill while pulling a trailer.
The 3.5 HO Eco-boost on the other hand, I'll bet is considerably more peaky. If you load that motor up enough to make it fall off peak, it may bog WAAY down....fall on it's face so to speak.

Also, the eco boost has two modes....eco for economy ..... and Boost for power. You can't have both at the same time.
The problem is, the motor is efficient and happy while tooting around with no cargo, getting good mpg's....... but when you want POWER, it goes into boost mode and it throws fuel efficiency out the window. Folks who tow often and heavy will see a significnt savings in fuel from a V-8 over an Eco-boost.

Pure hp and torque numbers don't even begin to show the differences between these two engines. Just look at the torque curves of the two engines. A huge percentage of the 7.3's power is available just above redline idle.(oops) You have to get the EB wound up to make most of it's power. You put the EB into a SD truck and ask it to work hard all day for weeks and years and it won't last. Just not what it's made for. The 7.3 is intended to go 200k+ miles with nothing more than routine maintenance.

I have a 10k trailer that I've towed with a Limited HO EB that my father in law has and I've towed it with my 7.3. They aren't even in the same universe. Different tools for different jobs.

My last truck was a '19 Raptor so I've gone straight from the HO EB to the 7.3. Both are awesome but for different reasons.

Last edited:
The Raptor 3.5 EcoBurst sucks IMO. I had nothing but trouble with my 2018 Raptor. In my 2 year of owning it, it was in the shop 2.5 months, mostly for engine problems related to the timing belt tensioner. But I also had issues with my air speed sensor, turbo boost sensor, throttle position sensor, throttle body, APIM and other stuff.

In fact, Ford replaced my timing belt tensioner at 14k miles. At 38k miles, the problem came back. Therefore I got a 7.3L Tremor.

7.3L will be a very reliable engine.

Last edited:
I call it the ECO-POOP. no thanks. They are fine with a light empty truck and it is designed for light weight applications specific to a fast paced off road situation. Not for real truck type use.

The 7.3 is made from a reliable push rod V-8 platform that is known for torque and power. Awesome for towing and real truck duties.

I am a Raptor owner, I have owned several Eco-poop F150s and Raptors. Still own a 2012 V-8 Raptor!
IMG_4978.jpeg
IMG_4978.jpeg

The 7.3 is all natural, that means you will be able to add lots of aftermarket toys. Superchargers???? header??? maybe a turbo????

"No replacement for displacement" is the old saying.

or I guess you could also say " injection is nice but I would rather be blown" o_O

There’s at least one on this forum that purchased his Tremor because it was the 7.3 not the 3.5t from his raptor.
There will be more in the future....
I’m in that camp, the 3.5 is a giant POS. I wish I never sold my GEN1 for that turd. I love me some Raptors but will not go back until they rehire the SVT team that built the GEN1 for serious off-road, GEN2 was just a pavement queen that would crap it’s pants when it saw dirt.

I’m in that camp, the 3.5 is a giant POS. I wish I never sold my GEN1 for that turd. I love me some Raptors but will not go back until they rehire the SVT team that built the GEN1 for serious off-road, GEN2 was just a pavement queen that would crap it’s pants when it saw dirt.

This is my buddy’s Gen 2 pavement queen. You just have to send it!! Lol

7FE8A26C-F133-424C-A4CC-77663D11B9F2.jpeg

@bmexline assessment of the EB is pretty accurate from what I’ve experienced. My F150 had 26k miles when I traded it in for the Tremor. Half of those miles were towing about 6,000 to 8,000 pounds. Each tow was up and over (twice each trip) a 6,300 foot elevation pass with a 8% grade, followed by a second mountain pass at 5%. This is nothing crazy, but it’s also not like towing in Texas. I’m sure Texans will have a comment on that. Anyways, the EB performed pretty impressively in my opinion for a 6 banger. It hauled ass towing uphill. On flats, it towed at 90 - 95 no problem. It averaged 9.9 per gallon on those trips. With that said, I’m pretty sure the engine was working pretty fast, which is likely to result in some durability issues compared to a diesel or the 7.3. If you’re towing a boat 10 times a year to your local lake, the EB is just fine. I tow a bit more so I got the diesel, which my friends poke fun at because my trailer is not that big.

@PapaRaptor I had never heard the phrase ECO POOP before. Now I’m afraid it is going to stick.

This is my buddy’s Gen 2 pavement queen. You just have to send it!! Lol

View attachment 1770
I sent it over Gunsite Pass last fall then sent it to the mechanic with a bent axle and busted rim. I sent the GEN1 around White Rim Trail in one day, over Engineer Pass, Devils Backbone, Landers Cutoff and sent it a lot more with no failures for 190k miles.
I will be building a Raptor style suspension (best part of a GEN2) on the Tremor with Fox Factory Race shocks and Carli coils and leafs. Who knows, I may buy a GEN3 if they can get it right. For now, I’m thinking a CanAm Maverick X3 RR turbo will be enough for a high speed dirt fix. Great photo.

Yep. I sent my 2018 EcoBurst Raptor to the dealer for 2.5 months over 2 years. Really sent it....

Last edited:
credit my father ( lost him last year) we owned a construction business with a small fleet of trucks for the expeditors . Had plenty of F150s and even some Rams. We found the performance of the EB to be good but the fuel economy was very poor unless they were completely empty no ladder rack and with the wind at your back. He came up with the Eco Poop term and told me not to purchase any more of them. So I always went V-8 for the fleet.

@PapaRaptor I had never heard the phrase ECO POOP before. Now I’m afraid it is going to stick.
[/QUOTE]

I'm sure there is a good reason but why would they use an engine with less horse power and torque than the 3.5 HO Raptor engine? I get that its a V8 but I would like to see better numbers. What the reason behind the 7.3?
If you check the specs you will see that the 7.3 hits max torque and hp at a much lower RPM. This mean less wear and tear on the engine and it can sustain those torque and horsepower numbers for a much longer time.

The 7.3 is all natural, that means you will be able to add lots of aftermarket toys. Superchargers???? header??? maybe a turbo????

"No replacement for displacement" is the old saying.

or I guess you could also say " injection is nice but I would rather be blown" o_O
"All nat-ur-al baby. Swing low sweet cherry-yachts" - Creed from the office.

This engine to me is reminiscent of the Viper engine. Had a 1999 8.1 liter and torque was incredible. This truck has that same feeling of torque from low RPM, excellent idea on Ford's part, odd they didn't do it sooner. I'd be in an F150 were this engine in it but I doubt it'll ever make it there.

Latest Discussions

Back