Whining front differential/transfer case?

BeAtCoAsTeR

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 Ford F-350 Tremor Platinum
Hello All,

My Tremor has around 7k miles on it and has been faultless since the day I picked it up. Now that the colder weather is setting in, I've clicked it over to 4H a few times, and now have work taking me over a few passes this week, where I know I'll encounter snow and need 4wd. My concern comes from what sounds like straight cut gears either in the front diff or transfer case, as there is a ton of high pitched whining on accel/decel when it is in 4H, and cruising at highway speeds. In looking at other forums it sounds like this may be normal for Fords, but it wasn't on my 2001 F-350, nor have I really noticed it in any other production truck I've ridden in. I know that our axle/diff is different that many, so figured I'd just check with everyone here as well, should I be concerned or is this normal for our trucks?? Thanks!!

transfer case is always engaged and operating so i don't think it's a t-case issue. unless the bearing in the front output shaft is worn but it's a new truck so unlikely. I'd be more concerned that the front diff is low on or missing fluid. not unheard of.

Highway speeds? How fast are you taking it? 4wheel drive is not meant for pavement. That might be part of the problem.

It actually quiets a bit at 50+mph, but is still there. It's most noticeable around 25-45mph with light decel/accel. If 4wd isn't meant for highway speeds, then my truck is in for a shock, as I will be driving this winter in 4wd all the time at low and high speeds once the snow starts to fall...It's bad enough trying to merge/get up to speed in the wet with 2wd, can't imagine how worthless it would be in the snow in 2wd.

4wd isn't for highway driving on dry pavement. i use 4wd all winter long at highway speeds when there's snow on the ground. no reason why you can't.

transfer case is always engaged and operating so i don't think it's a t-case issue. unless the bearing in the front output shaft is worn but it's a new truck so unlikely. I'd be more concerned that the front diff is low on or missing fluid. not unheard of.
There are no visible leaks, so if it never got filled at the factory then I got bigger fish to fry. My gut says it's just new gears in the front diff bedding in, but we'll see after I run around with it in 4wd for a bit. Just wondered if any others here have engaged their 4wd yet and noticed the same or if I indeed have a lame duck from the factory.

To help people understand why 4 wheel drive on pavement (no snow or rain) is a bad idea.

I have had mine in 4H and 4L and didnt notice any odd sounds but I will try again in the next few days and specifically listen to see if I hear anything.

I think there are posts here and there of guys finding out that fluid is missing from their trucks, bolts missing, nuts loose, etc. can't be 100% certain these days. just saying. hopefully it's just break in but since it's under warranty maybe have them peel off the diff cover and check to be sure things are kosher. i would bring up any concerns early so there is at least a paper trail should things go tits up later

I think there are posts here and there of guys finding out that fluid is missing from their trucks, bolts missing, nuts loose, etc. can't be 100% certain these days. just saying. hopefully it's just break in but since it's under warranty maybe have them peel off the diff cover and check to be sure things are kosher. i would bring up any concerns early so there is at least a paper trail should things go tits up later
I agree 100% and will be doing just that!! I'm going to pull the top plug tonight just to see if there is fluid in it. Thanks Rhyno!

I hope it's nothing serious.

Back