Which Tonneau Top would you recommend that is easily removable for a slide in camper

Creekwood Resort

Tremoraholic
TOTM Winner
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Military
Navy
Current Ride
2022 F-250 Tremor, 7.3
I want a stong tonneau, but also be able to remove it without having to spend the entire day on. I do like the Diamond Back or the A.R.E. BTW the Truck ordered is Red with the black accent.
Thank you ahead of time

I have Ford's folding hard canvas tonneau on the F-250 I'm trading when my Tremor comes in. Have had them on several F-150's and really liked them. Easy to remove, light weight, and cab be done by one person if need be. Seems to last a few years before you have to start putting UV and waterproofing protection on it. I use 303 Marine. It looks good, but seems a little short from front to back on the super duty

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_8e3.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_8e3.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 26
I want a stong tonneau, but also be able to remove it without having to spend the entire day on. I do like the Diamond Back or the A.R.E. BTW the Truck ordered is Red with the black accent.
Thank you ahead of time
I’m mulling over the exact same thing right now.

Diamondback is my top contender at the moment, but don’t know how much I want to be messing with those bolt-on c-clamps ever time.

The other one I’m considering is the Extang Encore. Has the same front-access benefit as the Diamondback, though the load capacity of other solid tonneau covers (400 pounds). Has quick-release clamps though.

How much weight are you planning to put on top of your cover? And are you wanting to put it directly on the cover or are you wanting to do a rack style setup over your cover?

Do you have a preference in cover type?

Most folding covers are very quick to remove. Also, some covers like the Pace Edwards Switchblade is a retractable cover that's designed to be quickly removable.

A few things to consider here, but there are some solid options out there.

How do the slide in campers work? Meaning if there was a rail inside of the bed, would that need to be removed as well? My recommendation will always be the Lomax but when you take it out the rails are still on there. So not sure if that would work.

How do the slide in campers work? Meaning if there was a rail inside of the bed, would that need to be removed as well? My recommendation will always be the Lomax but when you take it out the rails are still on there. So not sure if that would work.
From another thread, someone confirmed that the Bakflip MX4 rails are thin enough that they don’t interfere with a slide-in camper. Obviously there’s a limit to how thick the rails can be, but it’s definitely possible to leave rails on.

The pictures on that post reminds me of why I didn’t want that tonneau. Gutters. In that post they are full of mulch. Lomax with no gutters for the win.

The pictures on that post reminds me of why I didn’t want that tonneau. Gutters. In that post they are full of mulch. Lomax with no gutters for the win.
Eh FWIW I've owned a Bakflip Fibermax for about 6 years now on my current truck. Hauled various sizes of rock as well as various grades of soil in the bed and the gutters aren't that big of a deal. Quick pass with a broom while sweeping out the bed and the gutters are cleared out. They've also proven to be pretty durable, never getting notably bent over those years.

IMO the downside of the gutters is easily made up for by the fact the Bakflip can flip up against the back window whereas (as far as I can tell) the Lomax needs to be outright removed to gain full access to the bed, or gain access to the front of the bed from the side of the truck.

I'm considering the Diamondback and Extang which also need full removal for full access to the bed, but they gain the benefit of super easy access to the front of the bed. While the Bakflip does let a person gain access to the front by flipping it up against the window, it gets old having to flip it all the way forward.

Diamondback is my top contender at the moment, but don’t know how much I want to be messing with those bolt-on c-clamps ever time.

The other one I’m considering is the Extang Encore. Has the same front-access benefit as the Diamondback, though the load capacity of other solid tonneau covers (400 pounds). Has quick-release clamps though.

I like it for sure, I can’t use a roll top type, cause of break ins while fly fishing in remote areas

Eh FWIW I've owned a Bakflip Fibermax for about 6 years now on my current truck. Hauled various sizes of rock as well as various grades of soil in the bed and the gutters aren't that big of a deal. Quick pass with a broom while sweeping out the bed and the gutters are cleared out. They've also proven to be pretty durable, never getting notably bent over those years.

IMO the downside of the gutters is easily made up for by the fact the Bakflip can flip up against the back window whereas (as far as I can tell) the Lomax needs to be outright removed to gain full access to the bed, or gain access to the front of the bed from the side of the truck.

I'm considering the Diamondback and Extang which also need full removal for full access to the bed, but they gain the benefit of super easy access to the front of the bed. While the Bakflip does let a person gain access to the front by flipping it up against the window, it gets old having to flip it all the way forward.
I also like the diamond back, it matches the trucks appearance, I not sure if the frame would even interfere with the camper.

How much weight are you planning to put on top of your cover? And are you wanting to put it directly on the cover or are you wanting to do a rack style setup over your cover?

Do you have a preference in cover type?

Most folding covers are very quick to remove. Also, some covers like the Pace Edwards Switchblade is a retractable cover that's designed to be quickly removable.

A few things to consider here, but there are some solid options out there.
Thanks the top is for secure storage only, so no weight on the top, I do like the diamond back

From another thread, someone confirmed that the Bakflip MX4 rails are thin enough that they don’t interfere with a slide-in camper. Obviously there’s a limit to how thick the rails can be, but it’s definitely possible to leave rails on.

I thought someone would already have discussed this, did a search and missed it. Thank you for sharing I learned a lot, been looking at the Palomino campers very helpful

Check out this post sent to me
Post in thread 'Jack of all trades truck setup'
https://www.fordtremor.com/threads/jack-of-all-trades-truck-setup.4631/post-87862

Check out this post sent to me
Post in thread 'Jack of all trades truck setup'
https://www.fordtremor.com/threads/jack-of-all-trades-truck-setup.4631/post-87862
I was the one who shared the post with you higher up in this thread, and that thread is one I started a while back. ;) ?

The Bakflip is a strong contender for me, though. Been pretty happy with mine for the last 6 years, just getting tired of the lack of immediate access to the front of the bed. Happy to answer any questions you might have about it specifically.

There is a Lomax version that flips up now too.

I was the one who shared the post with you higher up in this thread, and that thread is one I started a while back. ;) ?

The Bakflip is a strong contender for me, though. Been pretty happy with mine for the last 6 years, just getting tired of the lack of immediate access to the front of the bed. Happy to answer any questions you might have about it specifically.
Funny, I read this stuff in bed with an Ipad, so I don't get the whole picture if you know what I mean. I had a bak flip on my King Ranch and had no real complaints, funny I took it off to install on my present xlt and Ford had made the bed 1/2 off.

Thanks the top is for secure storage only, so no weight on the top, I do like the diamond back

Got it. In that case, there are quite a few options. You mentioned the Diamond Back, which is one of the brands that we don't carry unfortunately. But we pretty much carry all the others.

Are you wanting to go with a folding, rolling, or retractable style? Or do you prefer the 1-piece cover?

I signed up for your news letter, I will be going to use a fold type, after closely looking at all of them I think I will go back to a BAK

Sounds good, sir! I've got the MX4 in stock in the 6'9" size. The long beds are about a month out. Feel free to reach out whenever you're ready and I'll be glad to help!

Back