Which 35 inch tires have the least amount of road noise on the highway ?

BFG ko2 might be the greatest of all time. I really like the duratracs also. I know people gripe about them on here, but I think that has a lot to do with the stock rim stance. Duratracs in a true 35 x 12.50 or larger on a rim with a wider stance are fantastic!

The Michelin LTX's run pretty quiet for a AT tire, and dont do half bad off road. I've had several sets on various trucks over the last 15 years and they have not let me down.
Yes sir ... I am a fan of the Michelin’s as well. In the larger sizes their tires have required the least amount of weights to balance them vs the other brands I have tried.

I've had several sets of BFG's, one set of KO2's and they all wore very quickly - 20-25K miles a set. That's on a 350 LWB SRW with 110 gal fuel tank and tool box with GVW across the scale around 10K, regularly towing 10-15K trailers. Current tires are 4 Wheel Parts branded 35x18's that still have 50% wear on them in the same conditions with 20K miles on them. Sales guy said the 4 Wheel Parts tires are made by Sumitomo which make great commercial tires and I guess he was right. I'd buy another set.

I've had several sets of BFG's, one set of KO2's and they all wore very quickly - 20-25K miles a set. That's on a 350 LWB SRW with 110 gal fuel tank and tool box with GVW across the scale around 10K, regularly towing 10-15K trailers. Current tires are 4 Wheel Parts branded 35x18's that still have 50% wear on them in the same conditions with 20K miles on them. Sales guy said the 4 Wheel Parts tires are made by Sumitomo which make great commercial tires and I guess he was right. I'd buy another set.
Interesting … Sumitomo also manufacturers Les Schwab’ s Open Range tire … got good wear mileage out of those tires with my heavy diesel (~40k miles) … traction was also pretty good … I would purchase them again. I also had a set of BFG KO2’s on my previous diesel that wore extremely fast … which was not surprising being a softer rubber compound … which is great for traction … no so much for heavy diesels, payloads and towing.

Last edited:
Even though we all understand that a 35 inch tire is most commonly judged by its off-road abilities, I am curious to see which tires everyone thinks are the quietest on the highway.

My Personal Opinion: 1. Nitto Dura Grappler ; 2. Michelin Defender LTX M/S ; 3. Cooper Discoverer AT3

Side Note: If you respond with a mud terrain tire recommendation, you may want to go back and re-read the question regarding the tire with the least amount of road noise … i.e. mud terrains are not quiet at highway speeds on pavement.
I am running Cooper STT Pros......totally concur on the MTs....and will be switching to the new Mickey Thompson ATs shortly!!

I’m 3K in on the factory Duratracs and I have to say I’ve been impressed so far. Truck is smooth, road noise is basically nill. I don’t like how skinny they look, but that part is not bothering me as bad based off how well they’ve driven.

My Jeep started out with Duratrac's and after 20k miles they were loud as hell. I did a lot a research to find a tire that would be more quiet. but still had decent traction. I went with Toyo RT's. Much better. My truck is doing pretty much the same thing. The Duratrac's are getting louder with wear. Rotating doesn't seem to help.

So, my vote is Toyo Open Country RT's.

I’m running 35x12.5 Maxxis RAZR AT on my F150. Love them. Quiet and work great on sand and in the mountains. Have about 10k miles on them.

Ordered a 2022 F250 Platinum 7.3 and plan on putting 37x12.5 and a 2.5 Carli lift.

402916DF-81A7-448F-8B67-1FBCF1777210.jpeg

padre island national seashore march 2021
5EC67B35-CB42-4804-A803-1AD5DE5489C3.jpeg

AE4AD321-C22A-4ACF-8B9C-6F5C3CC21281.jpeg

yankee boy basin ouray Colorado august 2021

Even though we all understand that a 35 inch tire is most commonly judged by its off-road abilities, I am curious to see which tires everyone thinks are the quietest on the highway.

My Personal Opinion: 1. Nitto Dura Grappler ; 2. Michelin Defender LTX M/S ; 3. Cooper Discoverer AT3

Side Note: If you respond with a mud terrain tire recommendation, you may want to go back and re-read the question regarding the tire with the least amount of road noise … i.e. mud terrains are not quiet at highway speeds on pavement.
I have the Cooper Discover XLT AT3 and I think they are very quiet and smooth on the highway compared to the Duratracs, yet still offer decent traction.

I have the Cooper Discover XLT AT3 and I think they are very quiet and smooth on the highway compared to the Duratracs, yet still offer decent traction.
I agree … we have the Cooper Discover XLT AT3’s on our work truck which spends many miles on the highway and also fights the mud on mine sites from Montana to Nevada … seems to be the best balance between a good road tire, yet has decent off-road capability as well. Not a big fan of the Duratrac’s because they are extremely noisy on pavement … don’t have enough miles to judge the wear characteristics yet.

My experience with my Jeep, is that the Duratraq's are noisy after 10k miles of wear. Even if you keep them rotated in each position of the car, they are noisy. After 30k in the Jeep, I went to Toyo R/T's. Much better. Very little road noise even after 40k miles.

The reason I picked the Toyo R/T's is that they sere reviewed in consumer reports. Good rating for rain, mud, sand, snow and quiet.

I have gone through multiple sets of BFG KO2s. When I bought the last set for my F150 they had a metric size 285/65/20 E which had a DT designation. The DT was a different compound they were using on heavy trucks to prevent chunking on gravel roads and the wear on them was great. The only draw back I saw was the harder compound lost the Severe Snow Service rating, but I am down south so I don't care about that.

I traded the truck with 15K miles on the tires and you could barely tell they had any wear. Buddy has 2012 Raptor standard compound and in same miles the wear on his were noticeable more. I am not seeing the DT compound on tirerack or BFG website now, not sure if the pandemic killed it or BFG, but when I put KO2s on as a replacement I will find out.

Last edited:
I’m running 35x12.5 Maxxis RAZR AT on my F150. Love them. Quiet and work great on sand and in the mountains. Have about 10k miles on them.

Ordered a 2022 F250 Platinum 7.3 and plan on putting 37x12.5 and a 2.5 Carli lift.

View attachment 38098
padre island national seashore march 2021
View attachment 38096

View attachment 38094
yankee boy basin ouray Colorado august 2021
Wish Maxxis also offered more of an all-terrain tire in a 35x12.5 inch tire size … would definitely give them a chance at my business. Have run their model 8008 trailer tires on all my trailers for the last 5+ years and never had a problem with blowouts, unlike the low quality junk tires that come from the trailer manufacturers.

BFG KO2's

Back