Where do we live and why?

Bellingham WA

The bad:
- Housing prices
- Some say rain, but I like the rain.

Good:
- Small town
- Amazing Mtn. biking, hiking, boating, fishing, crabbing, and hunting within walking distance.
- One hour drive to great skiing and the big city (Vancouver BC).
- Rarely gets below freezing or above 80 degrees.
- Trees and water out the back yard.

Bham.jpg

Agoura Hills CA

I moved here to chase $ as I got a job at an asset management firm that was too good an opportunity to pass up.
My commute is brutal because my office is in the Century City neighborhood of L.A. and so I'm spending 2.5-3 hours a day in traffic.

The Good:
very nice quiet suburb
beautiful scenery, mountains
awesome roads for motorcycling
phenomenal schools
20 mins to Malibu beaches
SoCal Good in General:
good beaches
perfect weather year round for all kinds of outdoor activities
CA has several amazing national parks and even non national park areas have some of the most breathtaking natural landscapes in the country if not the world.

The bad:
Democrat state run like a third world banana republik where everyone hates freedom
punitive taxes
obscene cost of living even an hour+ away from work
~10% income tax, 9.5% sales tax (everything taxable, no break for necessities like clothing)
homelessness everywhere
shit tons of violent crime (but I live far enough away from it)

If it weren't for the liberal bullshit, I'd wholeheartedly love it here, but I can't see myself staying for more than a few more years. I miss America.

I live in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Moved here for work about 15 years ago from east coast.

good
-close to Toronto which has a lot going on
-close to 2 Great Lakes if you like boating/water/fishing
-everything you need is close
-a lot of manufacturing and warehousing so easy to get things
-close to Buffalo, NY

bad
-close to Toronto
-housing prices are ridiculous
-it's windy a lot it seems
-air quality can be poor
-way too many people and traffic is bad
-not much in the way of getting out into nature or ability to get away from people without driving a few hours

North end of the DFW area, TX

I decided to move here because I absolutely had it with SFBA, Kalifornistan. It was 100% by choice. Yes, I left friends and family behind, but it was totally worth it for my sanity. Top 3 reasons why I left (in order) were persistent racism, economics, and political differences.

The good:
Edge of rural area / low density
Wide open space
Much more like-minded folks
Dollar goes really far here
The weather. I actually enjoy ADHD weather. I couldn't stand the solar death rays of CA sun. I am definitely in the minority.
Freedom to live the way I want to live

The bad:
Lower density population means office commutes in general would be extremely long
Suburbs are entirely made up of McMansions
Most of those have back alley driveways. WHY??!! Fortunately, my place has a traditional driveway with a 3-car garage, so I can't really complain.
Despite more like minded folks here, the middle class folks are made almost entirely of normies. I guess that's why all the neighborhoods are cookie cutter.
Hipster/Hippie invasion is targeting my particular area. I just got here. I don't want to move again!
I hear you on the sun in CA.....Most days I love that it's nice out every day, but it gets weird after a while....like every day feels the same. I miss rain and snow. Also hate the $200 per month water bills. (in MA I paid like $350 a YEAR for water.)

Made a lotta moolah here in Crackistan and would be long gone if my wife didn't need frequent and very specialized medical care.
consider NH southern border town with access to Boston for medical needs. Can't beat Boston in the US for medical care.

If I move back east NH will be on the short list. Although it too is turning blue with all the MA shitbirds fleeing the policies they voted for in MA and then re-voting for them in NH. Smaller scale version of what Kalifornians are doing to TX

I am here in SE Wisconsin on a small Lake outside Milwaukee.
Its in Waukesha County heavy Republican county.

Summers are awesome but I am sick of winter and the salt on the roads.

The state is a shit show with the liberals in Madison and Milwaukee but we have lots of good people in farming and industry despite the losers in the big city.

I want to find a winter home maybe six months there and six back here some day but have not found it yet. We don't have any problems out here in the country. Nobody locks their doors and everyone keeps on eye out and we all have each others back. Pretty much all my neighbors are gun touting and God fearing people. We like our adult beverages, fossil fuel burning large displacement V-8s, fast sleds ( in the winter) Loud bikes in the summer. So I guess its a good place to be. There is a gun range just west of my place and you can always hear gun fire. I love that. Nothing like the smell of either pre mix or spent gun power in the morning. Taxes kind of suck here. But there is worse.
The bad ( Tony Evers ) our Gov is a complete tool. He needs to go.

Mishawaka Indiana

Pros
Notre Dame
within 90 minutes of anything

Cons
Notre Dame
With in 90 minutes of Chicago

In all seriousness, not a bad place to live, has that home town feel. The biggest problem is South Bend is next door. South Bend has a great deal of problems, most of them caused by the city administration. A lot of it started from Mayor Pete, I had to deal with him while creating a county wide 911 center. He would sell out anyone for his political gain, just like "taxing each mile you drive".

Agoura Hills CA

I moved here to chase $ as I got a job at an asset management firm that was too good an opportunity to pass up.
My commute is brutal because my office is in the Century City neighborhood of L.A. and so I'm spending 2.5-3 hours a day in traffic.

The Good:
very nice quiet suburb
phenomenal schools
SoCal Good in General:
good beaches
CA has several amazing national parks and even non national park areas have some of the most breathtaking natural landscapes in the country if not the world.

The bad:
Democrat state run like a third world banana republik where everyone hates freedom
punitive taxes
~10% income tax, 9.5% sales tax (everything taxable, no break for necessities like clothing)
homelessness everywhere

If it weren't for the liberal bullshit, I'd wholeheartedly love it here, but I can't see myself staying for more than a few more years. I miss America.
I moved from Westlake Village after 25 years, originally from PA), 6 years ago and could not be happier, should have done it way sooner. Although it was a great place to live and raise a family (schools are great and safe in that area), the commute sucked (I too went to Century City), ridiculous taxes, high cost of living and libards drove me crazy. While I love Texas, I am planning on buying property in either Montana or Wyoming this year to build our retirement home and when our youngest graduates high school, we will split time between the two until retirement.

I moved from Westlake Village after 25 years, originally from PA), 6 years ago and could not be happier, should have done it way sooner. Although it was a great place to live and raise a family (schools are great and safe in that area), the commute sucked (I too went to Century City), ridiculous taxes, high cost of living and libards drove me crazy. While I love Texas, I am planning on buying property in either Montana or Wyoming this year to build our retirement home and when our youngest graduates high school, we will split time between the two until retirement.
Nice. Westlake is nice but insanely expensive. We're basically on the WV AH line between Kanaan and Lindero Canyon. We rent what would be basically a starter home in a normal state for $3500 a month (like 1300 sq feet!). It's such an insane waste of money. Nearly all the $$gains I made in taking this job are eaten up by the housing and taxes increase so I'm not sure it was worth it.

I'm in a pretty specialized area of finance so NY or LA are pretty much my only options. There's one firm in Scottsdale that if a job opened up I'd be all over, but even though I do like AZ I'm not really sure I'd want to live there.

My problem is my wife is a liberal. While I love her to death, our politics are completely opposite. I don't even know how it works but I guess we balance each other out. That said, she'd never agree to move to the boonies. I'd give my left nut to move to the middle of nowhere in MT or ID or something surrounded by trees and big vistas of mountains and shit.

Agoura Hills CA

The Good:
very nice quiet suburb
phenomenal schools
SoCal Good in General:
good beaches

The bad:
punitive taxes
homelessness everywhere

If you’re paying 10% of your income to taxes in California you’re making over $600k per year *before* deductions and write offs (to which there are plenty in our lovely progressive state.) It’s expensive here but man $600k+ goes far and the $60k+ you’re paying the state should really not be that meaningful if you're making that much money.

Maybe try living in an actual banana republic to get some perspective. Or maybe train your eye on America itself (who is taking closer to half of your income if you're making $600k+) rather than the interstate propaganda we're all being spoon-fed and distracted by. I've lived in Texas. It's no panacea. Just like California. And every other state in this country.

Just wondering where we live, why we live there and the good/bad of it!

I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico because my family lives here. Lived here my entire life.

There is more good and more bad, I would just have to think harder and I am too lazy to do that...

The good:

Green Chile
I freaking love it

Sunsets
Beautiful sunsets!

Sandia Mountains
Also beautiful!

The Fall
Fall is beautiful and the weather is good for decent amount of it!

Balloon Fiesta
Really cool event once a year. I go every year

The bad:

Summer
Summer temperature is HORRIBLE. So bad that on its own it outweighs most of the good

Wind
When it gets windy dust gets all over the place and makes it horrible to go outside. Happens way too much.

It is dry
Doesn't rain very much. Almost never snows.

Sun
It destroys plastic, paint, etc...

Ugly
It is just ugly here. Almost every house/building is tan and it looks like dirt. And there is lots of dirt. So everything is tan here. Now that being said there are a few different color houses and depending on the color they get stained tan from dirt so it makes sense why everything is tan.

And I know that some of this stuff isn't that bad but I can't stand it.
Pueblo or hatch chilies
Just wondering where we live, why we live there and the good/bad of it!

I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico because my family lives here. Lived here my entire life.

There is more good and more bad, I would just have to think harder and I am too lazy to do that...

The good:

Green Chile
I freaking love it

Sunsets
Beautiful sunsets!

Sandia Mountains
Also beautiful!

The Fall
Fall is beautiful and the weather is good for decent amount of it!

Balloon Fiesta
Really cool event once a year. I go every year

The bad:

Summer
Summer temperature is HORRIBLE. So bad that on its own it outweighs most of the good

Wind
When it gets windy dust gets all over the place and makes it horrible to go outside. Happens way too much.

It is dry
Doesn't rain very much. Almost never snows.

Sun
It destroys plastic, paint, etc...

Ugly
It is just ugly here. Almost every house/building is tan and it looks like dirt. And there is lots of dirt. So everything is tan here. Now that being said there are a few different color houses and depending on the color they get stained tan from dirt so it makes sense why everything is tan.

And I know that some of this stuff isn't that bad but I can't stand it.
pueblo or hatch chilies

Redmond, WA

Pros -
weather
plenty of water and hydroelectric power
evergreen trees
mountains, lakes, and water everywhere
no state income tax
excellent schools
not urban
there is a big lake separating us from Seattle
long days in the summer

Cons -
Seattle politics (remember Chaz/Chop?) dominate news
Radical Seattle left try to influence everything in the State
High sales tax (10.1% in urban areas)
High cost of living/housing (due to Microsoft and Amazon paying way too much)
Too many people figured out it doesn't rain as much as portrayed - often, but not heavy - totals are less than many areas of the country
short days in the winter
high fuel prices

Renton Washington
Here for Boeing career, now attached to my house of 30 years and friends/family too old to move
2 houses and business buildings on site

Pros:
Beautiful places in Western Washington
Able to confront the anti-American Left on their home turf
Close to Eastern Washington escape to sanity
2nd amendment

Cons:
Kids indoctrinated in public schools K-16
Communist politicians
Mail in voting
High taxes
Sanctuary cities