WHAT TO CHECK WHEN YOU GO TO PICK UP YOUR NEW TREMOR

Since I just got my sweet sexy Beast just over 3 weeks ago, I had a list of things to check before signing off on my truck. Some may say this list is way over board. I had to wait 20-1/2 weeks for mine to arrive and then 1 more week to pick it up since I had mods done to it. I read all the horror stories people went through. I made a list of the many things some here have had to deal with problems and things people said to check out.
My truck with tax, with my trade, with some Labor added in, was just under 100,000$. I just purchased a few vehicles recently and now I know how to handle picking up new vehicles. I was not embarrassed to bring my list, but I did tell my salesman I wanted a lot of time with him to go over my newly built truck. He didn't expect the extent that I was truly going to go over the vehicle.

If you are getting the winch it is smart to speak with the service dept and the mechanic who is doing the install. Make sure they have done one before and tell them straight forward that you have heard stories of installs that had the bottom bolt sticking upward and mangled some lines up. Some had the wrapper left on. some were tangled up. Say you are going to run out the line when you pick up the truck. Give them the heads up so they know they will look stupid if it's brought up and then not done right. I tipped my mechanic 200$ for the winch install and the power stop breaks and pillar and bumper lights being installed, as he did a great job.

I'm extremely detailed oriented so this will be perfect for a detailed check list. I thrived in many things in life. Making sure I did things right. Its all in the details. Do it once, Do it right.

Ok Lets start

-Winch. Pull out the line manually and with the controls. I pulled out 50' or more and then used my bare hands to hold tension on the line running it right to left so to evenly put it back. Bring gloves. My hands got ruffed up and dirty since I didn't bring them.
-Paint. Make sure its perfect. Light color trucks can have little tiny spots of orange (rust spots from the rail cars). Check door jams were painted and the bottom of the hood. No imperfections at all. There was a few spots that were scratched on the black pannels next to my door. They are going to buff it out. But i brought it up. My tow hooks were dirty and said I want them cleand and they brought out a guy a he scrubbed them up. Go over the whole truck thoroughly.
-Open the hood. Make sure it opens and closes properly
-Check all lights - BLINKERS - HIGH & LOW BEAMS - FOGS - SPOT LAMPS ON OUTSIDE MIRRORS - ROOF LIGHTS & RUNNING LIGHTS - BED LEDS - AMBER LIGHTING - INTERIOR L-R-AND WHOLE CAB
-Mirrors. Fold Extend & Left-Right
-Interior. Check For Rips Scratches Blemishes
-Back Seats. Fold them up, make sure under the seat the tray folds flat, make sure heated back seats work, fold down arm rest.
-Sun/Moon Roof. Open and close all the way. Open close moonroof visor all the way. My Jaguar I never tried the visor and it stopped about 3" from fully closing. They needed to re calibrate it. I had to take it in.
-Open your back glass all the way.
-Glove Box and Console with Tray. Some glove boxes don't close properly and I heard some people were missing their tray.
-Windows all should be opened and closed
-Cameras. Make sure all cameras work. Some stories people never checked them for months and they never worked.
-Get your phone paired to SYNC while you are checking out the interior. My salesman did that with us. Also paired my wifes phone as a secondary.
-Put your vin into Ford pass so your info is in there on your truck while checking out everything while inside the interior.
-Mileage See how many miles are on the truck. It should be minimal
-Put the truck into 4 wheel drive High and Low and move forward a bit. Test it out as best as you can.
-Have your salesman show you the entertainment system. Make sure XM/FM/AM NAVIGATION work. Punch in a gas station or food & it shows where they are. I heard some have had problems with it not fully working.
-Have your Salesman go over the instrument cluster. See how many hours the truck was idling and driving.
-Voice command. Ask for the weather.
-Bring the cord to plug in your phone to try Apple Play. You will want to have one anyway for your truck. So make sure you have one already so you can be totally on top of your game
-Voice command on your steering wheel. I asked what the weather was in West Islip NY and it told me while I was checking out the truck.
-Full Tank Of Gas. Mine only had a half tank of gas. Thats Bullshit. I made them fill it up.
-Check your mirror visors for shits and giggles.
-Try your heated steering wheel to make sure it works. And know how to turn it on. Its in climate on screen
- Front Seats. Try Massage seats. Make sure they work for you and passenger. Understand how to use it. Make all the functions of the seats work Lumbar Up Down Forward Back
-Pedals Gas & Brake. Move them forward and back
-Steering collum forward up down and Back
-Bed Tie down Clips, 5th Wheel Kit with harness, & RV camera. This should all should be inside under the rear seats. I ordered a camera and mine was not there. I had my list and told them right away that its not here. They said is it on my window sticker and sure enough it was.
-Retractable foot boards. Before closing the door leave your foot on the board with a little pressure and then close the door. Board should remain down. Inspect them. No scuffs. Then open and close the door and it should fold up
-Open tail gate all 3 ways. Fob, Inside the cab button, and the gate itself has a button.
-Open the step on the tail gate and handle to pull your self in. Inspect it.
-Open your bed cover all the way. Make sure it works and not scratched up. I heard stories that someones was scratched up from install. I have the retractable and they couldn't find the key to lock it. Someone in service had it. Thats Bull Shit.
-Bed step. Make sure it doesn't stick. Open and close it.
-Make sure the front hubs are not in a locked position. Some come from the dealer with one or both hubs locked. Check them out
-Remote Start your truck with key fob and through Ford Pass. Key Fob is click once to lock it, then hit the start button twice. Then hit start button to shut off the engine. Try the ford pass and make sure your truck starts as well
-Lastly check out the under carriage. I looked to see if there was oil by the transmission as some had leaky trannys.

This is well worth going over at the dealer before taking her home. If there is something that needs to be adressed they will do it ASAP as opposed to having to bring your truck in and wait for an appointment as JBlaze had to do 1 week later and they DICKED HIM OVER. Did Not Look At vIt For A Week As It Sat There.
This is what I did when I showed up at the dealer to pick up my truck. I spent 2 hours going over the truck and the paper work. You are going to be excited and wanting to roll out of there as quickly as you can. You will over look some things. Take it from Donny Details and make a list and bring a pen. Make notes of things that need to be adressed and cross of your check list. Its a lot of money.
Best of luck with your situation. Some salesman are snakes. Be prudent. Be Smart. Be Well Prepared.

I did not like the price of an extended warranty they offered me at the dealer. I got a better deal through Flood Ford.
I did not go with the Ceramic coating they offered for 700$ and did not get the glass ceramic coated for 400$. They pressured me and I said OK only to bring it up on the forum and some advised me to get it done professionally. Some said it's a scam. So I called the dealer and said I don't want it done. They pressured me again BUT I STUCK TO MY GUNS AND SAID I DO NOT WANT IT AS I WILL GET IT DONE SOMEWHERE ELSE. Thats 1,100$ I will put to getting it done right. They then did a suck ass job cleaning it.
So thats the facts Jack. (What Movie From The 80's Was That Line From) (STRIPES)
I hope this Helps. ? ? ? ?????????
Donny Details Out :cool:

I appreciate this, friends...I have an appointment for diagnostics on me in the AM and then to the dealership Wifey and I go! So stoked! However, thank you for this most timely thread, Iron Man et al, and it's metaphorical slap to the back of the head - focus! Complacency kills!

See you on the other side ?

I appreciate this, friends...I have an appointment for diagnostics on me in the AM and then to the dealership Wifey and I go! So stoked! However, thank you for this most timely thread, Iron Man et al, and it's metaphorical slap to the back of the head - focus! Complacency kills!

See you on the other side ?
Dude Best is yet to come. GODS BLESSINGS TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY AND YOUR SWEET BEAUTIFUL BEAST. ???????

Donny Details! ? This is awesome! I am so naive. This truck is the first new vehicle I’ve ever purchased. I picked mine up 12/23/20. I had to drive 2.5 hours to get it, and I bet I was there for 10 min before I turned around to drive it home. Right now I am just feeling extra thankful that I haven’t found any problems from your list. This is an excellent list. Side note, when you make phone calls using Apple CarPlay, do the people you call tell you they have a hard time hearing you? Many people including me have reported the mic volume level is low and hard for people to hear me ??

Since I just got my sweet sexy Beast just over 3 weeks ago, I had a list of things to check before signing off on my truck. Some may say this list is way over board. I had to wait 20-1/2 weeks for mine to arrive and then 1 more week to pick it up since I had mods done to it. I read all the horror stories people went through. I made a list of the many things some here have had to deal with problems and things people said to check out.
My truck with tax, with my trade, with some Labor added in, was just under 100,000$. I just purchased a few vehicles recently and now I know how to handle picking up new vehicles. I was not embarrassed to bring my list, but I did tell my salesman I wanted a lot of time with him to go over my newly built truck. He didn't expect the extent that I was truly going to go over the vehicle.

If you are getting the winch it is smart to speak with the service dept and the mechanic who is doing the install. Make sure they have done one before and tell them straight forward that you have heard stories of installs that had the bottom bolt sticking upward and mangled some lines up. Some had the wrapper left on. some were tangled up. Say you are going to run out the line when you pick up the truck. Give them the heads up so they know they will look stupid if it's brought up and then not done right. I tipped my mechanic 200$ for the winch install and the power stop breaks and pillar and bumper lights being installed, as he did a great job.

I'm extremely detailed oriented so this will be perfect for a detailed check list. I thrived in many things in life. Making sure I did things right. Its all in the details. Do it once, Do it right.

Ok Lets start

-Winch. Pull out the line manually and with the controls. I pulled out 50' or more and then used my bare hands to hold tension on the line running it right to left so to evenly put it back. Bring gloves. My hands got ruffed up and dirty since I didn't bring them.
-Paint. Make sure its perfect. Light color trucks can have little tiny spots of orange (rust spots from the rail cars). Check door jams were painted and the bottom of the hood. No imperfections at all. There was a few spots that were scratched on the black pannels next to my door. They are going to buff it out. But i brought it up. My tow hooks were dirty and said I want them cleand and they brought out a guy a he scrubbed them up. Go over the whole truck thoroughly.
-Open the hood. Make sure it opens and closes properly
-Check all lights - BLINKERS - HIGH & LOW BEAMS - FOGS - SPOT LAMPS ON OUTSIDE MIRRORS - ROOF LIGHTS & RUNNING LIGHTS - BED LEDS - AMBER LIGHTING - INTERIOR L-R-AND WHOLE CAB
-Mirrors. Fold Extend & Left-Right
-Interior. Check For Rips Scratches Blemishes
-Back Seats. Fold them up, make sure under the seat the tray folds flat, make sure heated back seats work, fold down arm rest.
-Sun/Moon Roof. Open and close all the way. Open close moonroof visor all the way. My Jaguar I never tried the visor and it stopped about 3" from fully closing. They needed to re calibrate it. I had to take it in.
-Open your back glass all the way.
-Glove Box and Console with Tray. Some glove boxes don't close properly and I heard some people were missing their tray.
-Windows all should be opened and closed
-Cameras. Make sure all cameras work. Some stories people never checked them for months and they never worked.
-Get your phone paired to SYNC while you are checking out the interior. My salesman did that with us. Also paired my wifes phone as a secondary.
-Put your vin into Ford pass so your info is in there on your truck while checking out everything while inside the interior.
-Mileage See how many miles are on the truck. It should be minimal
-Put the truck into 4 wheel drive High and Low and move forward a bit. Test it out as best as you can.
-Have your salesman show you the entertainment system. Make sure XM/FM/AM NAVIGATION work. Punch in a gas station or food & it shows where they are. I heard some have had problems with it not fully working.
-Have your Salesman go over the instrument cluster. See how many hours the truck was idling and driving.
-Voice command. Ask for the weather.
-Bring the cord to plug in your phone to try Apple Play. You will want to have one anyway for your truck. So make sure you have one already so you can be totally on top of your game
-Voice command on your steering wheel. I asked what the weather was in West Islip NY and it told me while I was checking out the truck.
-Full Tank Of Gas. Mine only had a half tank of gas. Thats Bullshit. I made them fill it up.
-Check your mirror visors for shits and giggles.
-Try your heated steering wheel to make sure it works. And know how to turn it on. Its in climate on screen
- Front Seats. Try Massage seats. Make sure they work for you and passenger. Understand how to use it. Make all the functions of the seats work Lumbar Up Down Forward Back
-Pedals Gas & Brake. Move them forward and back
-Steering collum forward up down and Back
-Bed Tie down Clips, 5th Wheel Kit with harness, & RV camera. This should all should be inside under the rear seats. I ordered a camera and mine was not there. I had my list and told them right away that its not here. They said is it on my window sticker and sure enough it was.
-Retractable foot boards. Before closing the door leave your foot on the board with a little pressure and then close the door. Board should remain down. Inspect them. No scuffs. Then open and close the door and it should fold up
-Open tail gate all 3 ways. Fob, Inside the cab button, and the gate itself has a button.
-Open the step on the tail gate and handle to pull your self in. Inspect it.
-Open your bed cover all the way. Make sure it works and not scratched up. I heard stories that someones was scratched up from install. I have the retractable and they couldn't find the key to lock it. Someone in service had it. Thats Bull Shit.
-Bed step. Make sure it doesn't stick. Open and close it.
-Make sure the front hubs are not in a locked position. Some come from the dealer with one or both hubs locked. Check them out
-Remote Start your truck with key fob and through Ford Pass. Key Fob is click once to lock it, then hit the start button twice. Then hit start button to shut off the engine. Try the ford pass and make sure your truck starts as well
-Lastly check out the under carriage. I looked to see if there was oil by the transmission as some had leaky trannys.

This is well worth going over at the dealer before taking her home. If there is something that needs to be adressed they will do it ASAP as opposed to having to bring your truck in and wait for an appointment as JBlaze had to do 1 week later and they DICKED HIM OVER. Did Not Look At vIt For A Week As It Sat There.
This is what I did when I showed up at the dealer to pick up my truck. I spent 2 hours going over the truck and the paper work. You are going to be excited and wanting to roll out of there as quickly as you can. You will over look some things. Take it from Donny Details and make a list and bring a pen. Make notes of things that need to be adressed and cross of your check list. Its a lot of money.
Best of luck with your situation. Some salesman are snakes. Be prudent. Be Smart. Be Well Prepared.

I did not like the price of an extended warranty they offered me at the dealer. I got a better deal through Flood Ford.
I did not go with the Ceramic coating they offered for 700$ and did not get the glass ceramic coated for 400$. They pressured me and I said OK only to bring it up on the forum and some advised me to get it done professionally. Some said it's a scam. So I called the dealer and said I don't want it done. They pressured me again BUT I STUCK TO MY GUNS AND SAID I DO NOT WANT IT AS I WILL GET IT DONE SOMEWHERE ELSE. Thats 1,100$ I will put to getting it done right. They then did a suck ass job cleaning it.
So thats the facts Jack. (What Movie From The 80's Was That Line From) (STRIPES)
I hope this Helps. ? ? ? ?????????
Donny Details Out :cool:
Awesome List Don! I took my time, and wish i had this list with me... thankfully I do not have any issues.. thanks for taking the time!

Donny Details! ? This is awesome! I am so naive. This truck is the first new vehicle I’ve ever purchased. I picked mine up 12/23/20. I had to drive 2.5 hours to get it, and I bet I was there for 10 min before I turned around to drive it home. Right now I am just feeling extra thankful that I haven’t found any problems from your list. This is an excellent list. Side note, when you make phone calls using Apple CarPlay, do the people you call tell you they have a hard time hearing you? Many people including me have reported the mic volume level is low and hard for people to hear me ??
My phone comes in clear at times and other times its has issues. My 2020 Jaguar F Pace SVR works flawlessly so this is a bit of let down.

I didn’t read through this whole post but check for door dings or paint blemishes.
I picked my truck up and it was dark... luckily (actually not lucky) I caught a knick/chip on my driver side door jam and a little bit inside right above the GVWR sticker. I’d guess that maybe in some haste for prep they slammed the door with the seatbelt or something hanging out.

I caught it and pointed it out to the salesman and we took pictures. Actually just had the dealership fix this on Wednesday morning @ Zero Dark 30. The had a 3rd party cone in and fix it, they did an excellent job.

Also... next day my FIL was checking out my tires and I found another scratch right under the tow hook. This one I can fix with wax/rubbing compound so no biggie.

I guess the point is think of places/contact areas on the truck that during transport and unloading the semi driver maybe whacked a tie down or something in haste which scratches your paint.

I have 1 more little OCD thing I found but can’t blame the dealership 100%. My truck is Platinum trim and the “stainless” by the cup holder has a mini “ding” like a midget BB gun hit it. I did however pick up my daughter from Gymnastics right after picking up the truck and it is possible this happened when seeing if a full 32oz HydroFlask fit into the cup holder.

It did fit... which may deserve a thread of its own because that’s so cool (apparently my household drinks a lot of water). Now there’s 2 less HydroFlask to bang around the car if not properly stowed. “If you don’t know, now you know.”

Heck there’s even a mini stash spot under there too. I don’t have anything to stash but thought it was rad.

Great list and great idea. I'm gonna tweak it for myself and go in with a checklist.

Last time I picked up a truck I ordered it was dark they had it inside but still hard to check everything out. This will give me some organization so I don't forget something.

Nice write up, and definitely some good things to look for when the time comes for the rest of us to pick our trucks up. I definitely recommend picking up in the daylight if you can, it makes it easier to observe paint issues. I've missed paint issues with previous vehicles when I've picked them up at night and they look fine in the lights outside, but once they are in the sun the imperfections seem to show easier.

Here is pic of my bent door and i found more stuff. It's hard to tell on the pic but it is almost bent enough to contact the cab. The wiper broke on the way home from the wiper arm being bent from factor. The wiper on the passenger side set about 4" higher than the driver side,also compared to another superduty on the lot. The bottom of the rear seats won't latch on either side and a deep scratch under the steering wheel on the dash about a inch from the bottom. I lost it on the service rep when she said that high was normal for the passenger side wiper. Then I showed her two on the lot.

Attachments

• IMG_20210213_162747614_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210213_162747614_HDR.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20210213_162757998.jpg
    IMG_20210213_162757998.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 134
That's unbelievably bad. Did they take you for some kinda hillbilly?
It would be hard to remain polite when your intelligence is being insulted like that.

Here is pic of my bent door and i found more stuff. It's hard to tell on the pic but it is almost bent enough to contact the cab. The wiper broke on the way home from the wiper arm being bent from factor. The wiper on the passenger side set about 4" higher than the driver side,also compared to another superduty on the lot. The bottom of the rear seats won't latch on either side and a deep scratch under the steering wheel on the dash about a inch from the bottom. I lost it on the service rep when she said that high was normal for the passenger side wiper. Then I showed her two on the lot.
Sorry brother. That’s the worst story of someone getting an F Upped truck that I heard of. I probably would have passed with that much wrong with it. But I’m sure it will work out. MAY GOD BLESS YOUR SITUATION. ???

As always Ironman, great info, great post. I had my wiper fluid line disconnected on driver side, so check that and make sure they topped off with fluid. Overall, they did a shitty job with detailing of truck, so I made them re do it. Tires were all different pressures, all wrong. You are dropping a lot of coin for one of these beasts, and probably have waited some time to get it. Dont feel guilty about making them do their job, you are the customer, they didnt hesitate to take your money.

Last edited:
Wow...Guess we have to add make sure your doors ain't bent.....How does that even happen......couldn't be at the factory....could it???

Wow...Guess we have to add make sure your doors ain't bent.....How does that even happen......couldn't be at the factory....could it???
I was at the dealership with in a few hours to look at it. there is now scratch,crinkle, or dent on the outside of the door or the inside were you can see the paint. Sales manager said that ford is having problems with some aluminum parts being warped in plat during stamping and quality control is not catching it. Just like the wiper arm. He said it's the 3rd one in six months between f150 and the 250 bent but not as bad as mine was.

Back