What Oil Filter is Correct? Any Oversize Options?

SManZ

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F-250 Tremor XLT 7.3L
I'm coming up on my first oil change on my 7.3. Advance Auto's ever-reliable database :rolleyes: has spec'd a Mobil1 M1-210A filter. This has a M20x1.5 thread. Autozone and K&N spec filters with M22x1.5 threads. Which is correct? If someone can get me a part number for a filter they've fit I can cross reference it to see my options.

Anyone running an oversize filter? What part number did you go with? Internal filter media differences, ADBV, bypass pressures, blah blah blah, I know - I do my legwork before I put it on the truck. Just need to know what fits.

Thank you!

I'm coming up on my first oil change on my 7.3. Advance Auto's ever-reliable database :rolleyes: has spec'd a Mobil1 M1-210A filter. This has a M20x1.5 thread. Autozone and K&N spec filters with M22x1.5 threads. Which is correct? If someone can get me a part number for a filter they've fit I can cross reference it to see my options.

Anyone running an oversize filter? What part number did you go with? Internal filter media differences, ADBV, bypass pressures, blah blah blah, I know - I do my legwork before I put it on the truck. Just need to know what fits.

Thank you!
Good luck finding what you need, I'm always SOL when it comes to maintenance items for my 6.7. Nobody carries the filter or Motorcraft oil. There is also a few day wait when I need a fuel filter and water separator.

Good luck finding what you need, I'm always SOL when it comes to maintenance items for my 6.7. Nobody carries the filter or Motorcraft oil. There is also a few day wait when I need a fuel filter and water separator.

I order all mine from rockauto. Oem filters and can’t beat their prices.

I typically order Motorcraft from Amazon. Since I’m an Amazon Prime member, (most) stuff ships for ‘free’. I was comparing Rock Auto (RA) to Amazon. RA is less $ for an oil filter, but after shipping is added, they’re roughly the same price. I am always open to looking at new/different places in hopes of saving money.
A group buy of Motorcraft oil filters (maybe (6) each), whether they be for 6.7L or 7.3L might be worth considering.

Thank you!
I’m using a Fram TG2 on my 7.3L. Which is the same as PH2 or XG2.
just an FYI

Ok so turns out the oil filter data I was looking at was incorrect. The Mobil1 M1-210A is indeed compatible with the FL-820-S, which means it has the correct M22x1.5 threads.

Ok so turns out the oil filter data I was looking at was incorrect. The Mobil1 M1-210A is indeed compatible with the FL-820-S, which means it has the correct M22x1.5 threads.
Cool, always good information to have about filter compatibility.

I did a little research of my own and found out that the drain plug is an M12x1.75 thread, the factory one comes fitted with an o-ring instead of a washer.
Good info if you are looking for a spare or want to swap out to a quick drain type plug system. The EZ drain Oil Change valve is part number EZ-107.

Might have to sub to this thread for future reference.

I typically order Motorcraft from Amazon. Since I’m an Amazon Prime member, (most) stuff ships for ‘free’. I was comparing Rock Auto (RA) to Amazon. RA is less $ for an oil filter, but after shipping is added, they’re roughly the same price. I am always open to looking at new/different places in hopes of saving money.
A group buy of Motorcraft oil filters (maybe (6) each), whether they be for 6.7L or 7.3L might be worth considering.
same ... order everything on Amazon and get the 5% back ... but it also cheaper then the auto store but also always comes 2 days

I prefer the Motorcraft filters over Fram. Fram is easy to find and has a great distribution but I have heard the filters are not very good. No sense in putting a cheap aftermarket part on an expensive engine. And lets face it we work our trucks either for play or work. Most Walmart stores have Motorcraft filters in stock and they are very reasonable priced. Just paid under $4.00 for my 2012 V-8 Raptor ( 820 s) so I bought out all 4 of them from the shelf. They are $7.96 at Fleet Farm.

I prefer the Motorcraft filters over Fram. Fram is easy to find and has a great distribution but I have heard the filters are not very good. No sense in putting a cheap aftermarket part on an expensive engine. And lets face it we work our trucks either for play or work. Most Walmart stores have Motorcraft filters in stock and they are very reasonable priced. Just paid under $4.00 for my 2012 V-8 Raptor ( 820 s) so I bought out all 4 of them from the shelf. They are $7.96 at Fleet Farm.
From what I understand Fram has variation in their filters and some of their more costly filters are comparable if not better than OEM (concerning some if not all of the filter characteristics and capabilities).

From what I understand Fram has variation in their filters and some of their more costly filters are comparable if not better than OEM (concerning some if not all of the filter characteristics and capabilities).
I will agree with you on that. I used many Fram filters on my equipment because its easy to find them. I usually upgrade to the TG or better and not use the base ones. But when you can get an OEM one for less thats the choice for me. Walmart also carries the GM filter for my boat at the same price or less than the Fram filter so thats a no brainer. I have also used the Bosch and Mobile 1 filters. Not sure how much they filter but the canisters and overall fitment seem very good.

I will agree with you on that. I used many Fram filters on my equipment because its easy to find them. I usually upgrade to the TG or better and not use the base ones. But when you can get an OEM one for less thats the choice for me. Walmart also carries the GM filter for my boat at the same price or less than the Fram filter so thats a no brainer. I have also used the Bosch and Mobile 1 filters. Not sure how much they filter but the canisters and overall fitment seem very good.
I thoroughly hate Walmart so I will shop Amazon or anything else. It's too bad because like you said they got some decent stuff for decent prices.

I did a lot of research on this recently since I'm also coming up on the first change. I was under the impression the M1 210A is not the right replacement for the FL 820S. I thought the M1 210 (without the A) is the right one... either way, at this point very tempted to just go with the FL820S, the reason being I cannot get a clear answer out of the internet on the following things:
- Bypass valve location is in the base plate on the FL820 S. It is not clear if it's in the dome of the M1 210 (or 210A) filter. This could potentially pose an issue since the bypassed oil would flow past all the dirty filter particles if valve is in dome.
- BPV pressure is also a complete unclear. There is differing numbers for the FL820S (8-16psi, 23 psi) and virtually no numbers available for the M1 210...

Let me know if you found anything out around those. Until I have clarity especially on the BPV pressure, I'm too hesitant to go with M1 over the Fl820S. Not having the oil flow properly as factory-engineered on a cold start would really suck.

Here is available data on the M1-210A. Keep in mind I've already confirmed the thread dimensions to be incorrect. The 210A is compatible with the FL-820-S which is a M22x1.5.

and cross references;

The data on the latter link appears to be a bit dated. The 210A is not listed. A while back Mobil1 started adding the 'A' designation to their filters. My understanding is that this was added with the Extended Performance specification, so you could use the Mobil1 XP filter with the XP oil, for the advertised 15Kmi change interval.

I did a lot of research on this recently since I'm also coming up on the first change. I was under the impression the M1 210A is not the right replacement for the FL 820S. I thought the M1 210 (without the A) is the right one... either way, at this point very tempted to just go with the FL820S, the reason being I cannot get a clear answer out of the internet on the following things:
- Bypass valve location is in the base plate on the FL820 S. It is not clear if it's in the dome of the M1 210 (or 210A) filter. This could potentially pose an issue since the bypassed oil would flow past all the dirty filter particles if valve is in dome.
- BPV pressure is also a complete unclear. There is differing numbers for the FL820S (8-16psi, 23 psi) and virtually no numbers available for the M1 210...

Let me know if you found anything out around those. Until I have clarity especially on the BPV pressure, I'm too hesitant to go with M1 over the Fl820S. Not having the oil flow properly as factory-engineered on a cold start would really suck.

Here is available data on the M1-210A. Keep in mind I've already confirmed the thread dimensions to be incorrect. The 210A is compatible with the FL-820-S which is a M22x1.5.

and cross references;

The data on the latter link appears to be a bit dated. The 210A is not listed. A while back Mobil1 started adding the 'A' designation to their filters. My understanding is that this was added with the Extended Performance specification, so you could use the Mobil1 XP filter with the XP oil, for the advertised 15Kmi change interval.
So you’re saying the M1 210A is the right one? Works for me. Another newer difference I found is that the advertised interval on the Mobil 1 extended performance products increased from 15k to 20k miles, on the latest Gen. not sure if this is just marketing (it probably is, profit over customer) or actual formulation change.

Latest Discussions

Back